Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By nickthereef

Sky changed my contract without my permission, and now will not reinstate my old contract. Inst

This is a discussion on Sky changed my contract without my permission, and now will not reinstate my old contract. Inst within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I rang Sky to ask which 22 countries I could call for free on my Talk Anytime contract Whilst the ...

nickthereef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 7
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky changed my contract without my permission, and now will not reinstate my old contract. Inst

I rang Sky to ask which 22 countries I could call for free on my Talk Anytime contract
      Whilst the Sky rep was looking for the info he changed my package - without asking me, without my permission or with any agreement on my part. He admitted he had done so erroneously and apologised
      I asked him to reinstate my old package.
      He said he needed to raise a CRS to get me back to my oid package

Many hours later Sky is saying
      1. My Talk anytime no longer exists so i cannot have it back
      2. If I want to make the same international calls (which were actually very few) I will have to pay double per month and they will not cover the 60 extra per year it will cost me

My questions are these:
      1. Can Sky legally change my package without my permission?
      2. If they have, are they legally obliged to reinstate my old contract

Really appreciate anyone who can guid me on what the law says on contracts between suppliers and consumers

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky changed my contract without my permission, and now will not reinstate my old contract.

Can I suggest that you raise a (polite) formal complaint through the Executive Team?

Do keep a record of all communications. That telephone call will have been recorded so Sky will have a record of specifically what was said too.

Whilst this specific example is the first I have read, I doubt it is the first and very much doubt that it will be the last, there are other reports of similar mistake with the HD packs.

Try this email address: jeremy.darroch at bskyb.com

Please let us know how you get on with this.

On a personal note I had been considering changing mine from what you had to the new UK package, but after a 45 minute call to the US last week, I'm so glad I hadn't done so.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Re: Sky changed my contract without my permission, and now will not reinstate my old contract.

Grateful Scubbie

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Last time I checked, the old Talk Anytime package is still on the system.

If it's not, they should be upgrading you to Talk Anytime International and discounting the extra fiver.

Thanks

Scubbie
      Wrote as you suggested to Jeremy Darroch
      PDQ got a call from the dept that aims to keep people happy. Nice person - even dealing with a not very happy me
      Deal I struck was that i would upgrade to the International package (extra 60 a year) but Sky would give me free broadband for a year (value to me 120). They, and I, will review the package after 12 months. If I stay with Sky I will push for extension of this deal
      I have her direct number and will deal with her directly when it is time to renew - or leave

Moral is to cut short any dealings one has with help lines offered by Sky. They are not that knowledgeable, not that powerful and are ultimately unhelpful
      Thanks Scubbie for the Darroch contact

She did say all the phone packages are to be reviewed quite soon and that Sky would have written to me to tell me they were changing my package. So box clever Scubbie - your Anytime may disappear soon. Fore-warned! The lever I had was the fact they changed my contract without my permission

my thanks once again
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Excellent result there.

Whilst I don't make a habit of calling international numbers, I did appreciate it this month.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickthereef View Post
      Moral is to cut short any dealings one has with help lines offered by Sky. They are not that knowledgeable, not that powerful and are ultimately unhelpful
      I would take exception with this remark.

You have had a bad experience but not all advisors are so poor, and most would have the sense to take the same steps to remedy the problem. Nothing beyond what previous advisors could have done was done by this escalation, except cutting through some of the BS.

Thanks

Easy to say if you were not there bubblegun. I kept a record of my time on the phone to Sky and I spent over 11 hours on the phone trying to get help. Then I resorted to email. I went through 8 advisors who were all unhelpful. I went through the Sky complaints procedure. It was only Scubbie who told me how to get beyond their wall because none of the Sky team offered me a way forward. Some did not bother to read my email correspondence detailing my issue, which is surely the starting point for anyone dealing with a customer who has emailed asking for assistance. One was downright rude, dismissing me with a "that's the way it is" email. I boiled my emails down eventually to one question and that was not directly replied to - a simple question needed a simple answer - not a link to all of Sky's T&Cs
      You say "most would have the sense to take the same steps to remedy the problem" - not in my experience. Not one offered me the steps to remedy the problem

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickthereef View Post
      Easy to say if you were not there bubblegun. I kept a record of my time on the phone to Sky and I spent over 11 hours on the phone trying to get help. Then I resorted to email. I went through 8 advisors who were all unhelpful. I went through the Sky complaints procedure. It was only Scubbie who told me how to get beyond their wall because none of the Sky team offered me a way forward. Some did not bother to read my email correspondence detailing my issue, which is surely the starting point for anyone dealing with a customer who has emailed asking for assistance. One was downright rude, dismissing me with a "that's the way it is" email. I boiled my emails down eventually to one question and that was not directly replied to - a simple question needed a simple answer - not a link to all of Sky's T&Cs
      You say "most would have the sense to take the same steps to remedy the problem" - not in my experience. Not one offered me the steps to remedy the problem
      Sorry you had the problems you experienced but as shown by another post above it should have been a simple solution:

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      Last time I checked, the old Talk Anytime package is still on the system.

If it's not, they should be upgrading you to Talk Anytime International and discounting the extra fiver.
      The over-riding way of doing things where I work is to do the right thing for the customer, especially where something like this has happened.
      I accept this isn't always what is done but if I had got your call I would have done the same thing as the Senior Executive Escalation people.