Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

12 months up front line rental - renewing!!!

This is a discussion on 12 months up front line rental - renewing!!! within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I think it is time Sky allowed an online option in your account that could be ticked if you wanted ...

BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

12 months up front line rental - renewing!!!

I think it is time Sky allowed an online option in your account that could be ticked if you wanted to continue with 12 months line rental up front.
      This would take the money out of your next bill at the price displayed for the 12 months line rental once your current 12 months ran out.

The reason is that Sky's billing leaves a lot to be desired!!

At the moment when your 12 months upfront line rental runs out, unless you get in touch with them, you will be charged the higher monthly rate as soon as your bill is calculated for the billing month ahead.

This means that Sky will automatically charge you at the higher monthly line rental as soon as your deal runs out.
      As we pay our bills to Sky in advance, you end up paying for the monthly line rental for the month ahead BEFORE you 12 month contract runs out!

Nice and clear so far.

However you have to get in contact with Sky and tell them you wish for the 12 months line rental to be paid up front.
      Unfortunately Sky cannot start this 12 month payment from the day the last 12 months ran out BUT they start it when you phone!

In my case, there was a date on the website stating that for the 12 month up front line rental offer, it ran out on the 26th Sep of 2013, 2 weeks before my current yearly rental expired.

So my new 12 month line rental started on the 23rd Sep, when I rang overlapping the remaining 2 weeks I still had left.
      By that time, Sky has already charged me for the month ahead via direct debit which included the higher monthly line rental.

A few weeks past and my bill for the next month has been created.
      However no refund for the extra I paid for the monthly line rental, no refund for the overlapping period and to rub salt into the wound, no offset against the 14.50 for the monthly line rental for the coming month!!!

So I had to get in touch with Sky again and inform them that my bill was incorrect.
      They say it will take a few days to correct.

WHAT A MESS!!!

Sky have this billing method where they take your payment for the line rental, 119.40, credit your account, then under Sky TV, charge you 119.40 leaving the balance at 0.00.
      Then they charge you for Sky TV, broadband, Sky Talk and Line rental. Then they deduct the line rental from your Sky Talk charges. This leaves the correct direct debit to be paid!
      This appears to work when you first sign up BUT when trying to renew it, the system cannot deal with trying to refund you for line rental charged at the higher amount, the overlapping period and even forgetting to deduct the monthly line rental!! Manual intervention is required.

We all know why Sky don't allow us to have a continuous upfront line rental???!!!?
      It is because they can start charging the more expensive line rental for the month after your 12 months is up and BEFORE your contract is ended. Knowing fine well, customers have to phone up, they are relying on the fact that some customers won't phone up to renew and before you know it, the higher line rental is being charged each month.

I know once you take the 12 month up front line rental, you are in a 12 month contract with Sky with regard to your phone BUT you should be allowed online to tick a renew 12 month line rental upfront box and the line rental should be a smooth transition from one 12 month up front payment to the next. If of course you do not want to tie yourself into another 12 month contract and are happy to pay month by month, then that option is there, do not tick the box.

But that is my story on the complex way Sky allow customers to renew their upfront payment. It is quite simply a mess and not straight forward at all.

I have written to the executive team and asked for these changes to be made so we can select/deselect a box and they have stated that they have passed my comments up.
      However when I note that people were having this problem 3 or 4 years back, I do not hold out much hope that things will be easier next year when I come to renew!

So for those on 12 month contracts up front line rental about to expire, please mention this to Sky if you renew and fingers crossed your bill is calculated correctly! Somehow I think you will end up in the same position as me, having to contact Sky to get things sorted.
      Isitme, gymno and Steele11 like this.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: 12 months up front line rental - renewing!!!

I couldn't agree more.

Although i do get around the problem by using a calendar, it is yet another thing i have to stay on top of.

There really should be a better way, in this day & age.
      Overall, i'd say that sky's billing system isn't the most logical, although in comparison to some electricity suppliers, it could be worse.

Exchange:
      Thanks

And if I had waited till the last day of my contract before phoning up to renew, I would have had one bill which would have already been paid at the higher monthly line rental and another bill which would have already been prepared with another higher monthly line rental.
      This would mean that Sky would have to credit me with last month's bill and re-prepare the new bill, which I doubt they would get right!
      Crazy indeed by Sky and way too much hassle for the poor customer, who has to inform Sky that mistakes have been made on their bill!!!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The same has happened to me, I did not realize the 12 months advance payment was up until I got the bill with the full rental charge. When I called up to renew the agent told me they couldn't do anything about it and the 12 month payment would start in my next bill.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The same has happened to me, I did not realize the 12 months advance payment was up until I got the bill with the full rental charge. When I called up to renew the agent told me they couldn't do anything about it and the 12 month payment would start in my next bill.
      Check your next bill to make sure Sky offset the monthly line rental charge!!!

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It would need someone who has already paid advance line rental to phone Sky customer service and enquire about offers that had been applied to their account but I believe that the way advance line rental operates is that the one off payment buys 12 months free line rental. This is applied to the account just like any other offer so that when the offer expires Sky's billing system automatically reverts to charging the normal price for telephone line rental. This would not allow for automatic notification that a further payment is required let alone taking such a payment automatically. I'm sure it is not beyond the ingenuity of the system designers to develop a method around this problem just that the current system does not lend itself to a simple fix.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroadbandKing View Post
      And if I had waited till the last day of my contract before phoning up to renew, I would have had one bill which would have already been paid at the higher monthly line rental and another bill which would have already been prepared with another higher monthly line rental.
      This would mean that Sky would have to credit me with last month's bill and re-prepare the new bill, which I doubt they would get right!
      Crazy indeed by Sky and way too much hassle for the poor customer, who has to inform Sky that mistakes have been made on their bill!!!!!
      All telecoms providers charge in advance.

If you call the day after the line rental offer ends then you can start a new year from that point. You will have had a charge for the period beyond the end of the offer on the previous months bill but this will be credited on the next bill.

I will admit there is a bit of an issue where, for instance, the line rental offer runs to the 9th of October (this will be the last discounted day) the offer will show active to the 10th October so the new offer cannot be ordered until the 11th October. You will have to pay a day which will be 48p if that day was in a 30 day month or 46p in a 31 day month at current (14.50) rates.

It might be annoying but that's the way it works.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well it gets worse.
      I have now been told by Sky that my 119.40 is to be refunded!
      The reason is that their system cannot process the 12 months line rental until the current one has expired.
      This despite the fact that I was told online and on the phone and sky listed it under their terms and conditions that the 12 month up front line rental offer would expire 26th Sep!
      I also asked when I paid on the 23rd whether my payment would allow for the new 12 months line rental to start when the current one expired, I was told that it could only start from the date they took payment!
      Now I am being told that you cannot commence a 12 month line rental until the old one expires, the system cannot take a forward payment and I have to phone up the day after the current one expires.
      However in my situation I did not have this choice due to being told that the offer was only valid till 26th Sep and being told that there would be no problems when I paid.

Next year, this scenario will happen:

Sky will charge me on the 20th Sep for the period 8th Oct to 19th Oct, the higher monthly line rental.
      On the 6th Oct, Sky will prepare another bill for the 20th Oct to 19th Nov, again at the higher monthly line rental.
      I will have to phone the day after the 12 months line rental expires and pay for the year ahead, lets say this date is the 9th Oct, they will take my payment of 119.40 (if this is the price and the offer has not expired).
      I will then have 2 bills that Sky had invoiced me for which will now be incorrect, the monthly line rental from the 8th Oct to the 19th Oct and the period 20th Oct, to 19th Nov.
      These bills will not be changed. I will have to pay these bills by direct debit at a much higher cost, then on Nov 6th when the next bill is produced, I will have to check to see whether Sky have credited me with the line rentals I have paid at the higher monthly rate AND taken off the next months line rental as I will have paid upfront.

Does anyone want to take any bets that Sky will get the above processing correct!?!?!! I thought not!!!

Why cannot they simplify this!!! It is right mess!!!
      A simple request from the customer a month in advance they they wish to renew their 12 month line rental would suffice, no bills would be produced that were incorrect, no money would have to be credited for overcharging, the customer would not need to check 3 bills to ensure things were put right, no chasing of Sky to correct things. Just a simple request would save all this time and hassle.

Sky have had to make a online credit to my account to cover these higher monthly charges, looks like that is the only way they can correct things when you renew.

So unless Sky get their finger out and update this archaic billing system and introduce a much simpler method of renewing, I will have to go through all of this next year!!

And so will everyone else when they try to renew!

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Next year, this scenario will happen:

Sky will charge me on the 20th Sep for the period 8th Oct to 19th Oct, the higher monthly line rental.
      On the 6th Oct, Sky will prepare another bill for the 20th Oct to 19th Nov, again at the higher monthly line rental.
      I will have to phone the day after the 12 months line rental expires and pay for the year ahead, lets say this date is the 9th Oct, they will take my payment of 119.40 (if this is the price and the offer has not expired).
      I will then have 2 bills that Sky had invoiced me for which will now be incorrect, the monthly line rental from the 8th Oct to the 19th Oct and the period 20th Oct, to 19th Nov.
      These bills will not be changed. I will have to pay these bills by direct debit at a much higher cost, then on Nov 6th when the next bill is produced, I will have to check to see whether Sky have credited me with the line rentals I have paid at the higher monthly rate AND taken off the next months line rental as I will have paid upfront.

Does anyone want to take any bets that Sky will get the above processing correct!?!?!! I thought not!!!
      I think I covered this in my above post. It will all be shown to the advisor processing the payment. You'll be out 1 day but your renewal date will be a day later next year.

Well it gets worse.
      I have now been told by Sky that my 119.40 is to be refunded!
      The reason is that their system cannot process the 12 months line rental until the current one has expired.
      This despite the fact that I was told online and on the phone and sky listed it under their terms and conditions that the 12 month up front line rental offer would expire 26th Sep!
      I also asked when I paid on the 23rd whether my payment would allow for the new 12 months line rental to start when the current one expired, I was told that it could only start from the date they took payment!
      Now I am being told that you cannot commence a 12 month line rental until the old one expires, the system cannot take a forward payment and I have to phone up the day after the current one expires.
      However in my situation I did not have this choice due to being told that the offer was only valid till 26th Sep and being told that there would be no problems when I paid.
      Please tell me they took the new payment on the day you posted this?

The 12 month advance increased to 140.40 today.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Because I put money aside each month to pay for the up front line rental and was forced to pay on the 23rd Sep as sky stated on their website offer runs out on the 26th Sep, I am sure I will be okay to pay 119.40.

Because sky had to refund my 119.40 informing me that I can not have the new payment being accepted before the old 12 months runs out, even though they accepted my money in the first place, the onus is on Sky, because it is their mistake.

Sky asked me whether I wanted to pay for the new 12 months line rental straight away OR wait for the 119.40 to appear in my bank.
      I told them I would be left short this week if I paid another 119.40 from my bank and I would have to wait for the refund to appear. So far it has not!
      There is no way I am paying 140.40 for the 12 month line rental increase when it was Sky's fault!
      No doubt their system will not be able to cope with this now when I pay 119.40, no doubt I will have to pay 140.40 and be given a manual adjustment of credit on my account.

As I stated before, their system stinks!!!!

And what about other people whose 12 months line rental has now just expired, because Sky won't take payment BEFORE the end date, these people will find themselves having to pay more!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast