Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree4Likes

Porting home landline number

This is a discussion on Porting home landline number within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by seawright As bubblegun and I have already said you will lose the advance line rental that you ...

jstvj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01579
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      As bubblegun and I have already said you will lose the advance line rental that you have paid for Sky Talk.

Do you know if you are on Sky's own voice and broadband network (SVBN)? If you are then the re-instatement of telephone and broadband services can be processed simultaneously and you will be without broadband for approximately two weeks. If you are on WLR3 and Sky LLU is not available it could be up to a month before your broadband service is restored. If you don't know you can check your telephone number at:

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/

If the answer contains the sentence, "There is no data available for this number." then you are on SVBN.

Sky's telephone and broadband services are only supplied for residential use. I realise that the directory number used for your business will be transferred to Buzz but if your business depends on broadband you may find that Sky's broadband does not give you the level of service required for this purpose.
      Thank you very helpful information. I tried the checker and result was no data because it not a BT line, so I must be on SVBN.

We won't need broadband for the business side at all and will continue to just use it for our own residential purposes.

If I understand, the disadvantages of going ahead with this is loss of landline/broadband for two weeks and I shall forfeit the remainder of my advanced Line rental payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

By the way, loss of service for two weeks would not be too disruptive. We hardly get any incoming landline calls, except nuisance ones lol. Our outgoing calls are mainly used on our mobiles, which also have unlimited 3G internet, which is very good.

Frankly, I have seriously considered doing away with the landline/broadband, because the mobile service meets our needs. The only reason to keep the landline is for Sky TV and and broadband is perhaps useful for the very occasional laptop use.

The only real loss would be the advanced line rental payment which has about 5/6 months to run.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Porting home landline number

Delaying the transfer would minimise any financial loss due to your account with Sky. Whether this would have a financial impact in other areas is something only known to you and your business partners.

This would need to be considered against the cost and inconvenience of getting a new number which provided the number is not particularly iconic would depend on how much you have already committed in the form of marketing, pre-printed stationery and other costs such as sign writing on vehicles and premises.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

jstvj (04-10-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The point made about Sky being a residential service is very important. Essentially it means that should there be an issue with the line, you will not get compensation for loss of business, which normally triggers is a short space of time.

Have you considered getting a seperate phone line for the business? Nothing more annoying than a call at 1am for the business when you are expecting a family call at short notice.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jstvj (05-10-13)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Have you considered getting a separate phone line for the business? Nothing more annoying than a call at 1am for the business when you are expecting a family call at short notice.
      As I understand it the OP wishes to retain his existing DN for business purposes even though he is receiving a lot of wrong numbers which he considers to be nuisance calls.

Transferring his DN to Buzz who provide both home and business IP based telephone solutions will enable him to obtain a new number from Sky which I expect will be ex-directory and will hopefully receive fewer nuisance calls.

I suspect that his existing number has a pattern of digits that are easily remembered which while good for business contributes to the high rate of wrong numbers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

jstvj (05-10-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      As I understand it the OP wishes to retain his existing DN for business purposes even though he is receiving a lot of wrong numbers which he considers to be nuisance calls.

Transferring his DN to Buzz who provide both home and business IP based telephone solutions will enable him to obtain a new number from Sky which I expect will be ex-directory and will hopefully receive fewer nuisance calls.

I suspect that his existing number has a pattern of digits that are easily remembered which while good for business contributes to the high rate of wrong numbers.
      My main reason for wanting to port the landline number is because we have had all our signs and stationery printed with that on.

Scubbie and seawright like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123