Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Porting home landline number

This is a discussion on Porting home landline number within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie As an idea, why not set up a phone number with Skype? With a suitable data ...

jstvj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01579
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As an idea, why not set up a phone number with Skype?

With a suitable data plan people could use that to call you on you phone or a laptop/smart phone/tablet or any other device which Skype can be installed on.
      Unfortunately Skype can't provide a local exchange number. Apparently Cornwall doesn't exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Porting home landline number

Quote Originally Posted by jstvj View Post
      Unfortunately Skype can't provide a local exchange number. Apparently Cornwall doesn't existnow Free
      In that case Seawright's idea is your best bet to do what you want to do without getting the early termination charge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

jstvj (03-10-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      AFAIK Sky will waive clawback charges if you re-instate your service so if you particularly want to retain your existing number ask Buzz to provide you with a telephone service and take over your existing number. Once the transfer is complete your landline should be dead and your broadband ceased. Call Sky and ask to re-instate your telephone and broadband services. Potential problems with this are:
      • Being without broadband for approx two weeks so ensure you have a mobile internet dongle.
      • You may lose out if you have paid 12 months advance line rental.
      • You will only be able to take out a currently available calls package (ie. no free evenings and weekend calls).
      • Depending on your old package you may also lose free international calls.
      Had to Google AFAIK lol. None of the problems you have listed are of much concern to me, except I did pay for 12 months Sky talk in advance which finishes in April.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      In that case Seawright's idea is your best bet to do what you want to do without getting the early termination charge.
      I need to be sure that Sky will reinstate the services without penalty first though ? Buzz seem to think that Sky will charge for early termination of, at least my broadband.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Perhaps an email to Sky is required asking if an early termination charge (or any other penalty) for cancelling broadband would be waived if the service was re-instated. Providing the reply was positive you could use it as leverage should they try to insist on the charge remaining once you re-instate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

jstvj (04-10-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Unfortunately Skype can't provide a local exchange number. Apparently Cornwall doesn't exist
      Does the number have to be local? There are other providers out there who will provide 0845 or 0844 numbers which may do the task.

Alternatively Skype does have area code numbers for Exeter and Bristol.

In many cases now most providers do not charge different rates between local and national calls. People who use a mobile phone, for example, are going to be charged the same rate whether the call is to Edinburgh or next door. The same with those who pay for free calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers.

I appreciate that a local businesses will prefer to use a local dialling code if their target market is local people, but do remember that actually Sky is targeted at the domestic market.

Many businesses do leave a message on the ansaphone for their customers to call their mobile number 07...... if they need you now, or to leave a message.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jstvj (04-10-13)

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Perhaps an email to Sky is required asking if an early termination charge (or any other penalty) for cancelling broadband would be waived if the service was re-instated. Providing the reply was positive you could use it as leverage should they try to insist on the charge remaining once you re-instate.
      As long as you call and claim it was a mistake and it was done accidentally then usually the ETC should be removed if you reorder, but it would be a new 12 month min term. You would lose your 12 month advance on the line rental though. The ETC would only be for the broadband too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

jstvj (04-10-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Does the number have to be local? There are other providers out there who will provide 0845 or 0844 numbers which may do the task.

Alternatively Skype does have area code numbers for Exeter and Bristol.

In many cases now most providers do not charge different rates between local and national calls. People who use a mobile phone, for example, are going to be charged the same rate whether the call is to Edinburgh or next door. The same with those who pay for free calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers.

I appreciate that a local businesses will prefer to use a local dialling code if their target market is local people, but do remember that actually Sky is targeted at the domestic market.

Many businesses do leave a message on the ansaphone for their customers to call their mobile number 07...... if they need you now, or to leave a message.

We are starting a new business and relying on local business, so the dialling code needs to be local

Thanks

Extract of further email to Sky:

Good morning

I had a call from a very helpful advisor, Catherine, but unfortunately she was unable to resolve my enquiry.

If I port my existing number and Sky Talk/Broadband is cancelled, can those services be reinstated with a new number, without penalty to me. If so, how long would it take and please bear in mind that I have paid 12 months in advance for Sky Talk.

Thank you

John

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If I port my existing number and Sky Talk/Broadband is cancelled, can those services be reinstated with a new number, without penalty to me. If so, how long would it take and please bear in mind that I have paid 12 months in advance for Sky Talk.[/URL]
      As bubblegun and I have already said you will lose the advance line rental that you have paid for Sky Talk.

Do you know if you are on Sky's own voice and broadband network (SVBN)? If you are then the re-instatement of telephone and broadband services can be processed simultaneously and you will be without broadband for approximately two weeks. If you are on WLR3 and Sky LLU is not available it could be up to a month before your broadband service is restored. If you don't know you can check your telephone number at:

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/

If the answer contains the sentence, "There is no data available for this number." then you are on SVBN.

Sky's telephone and broadband services are only supplied for residential use. I realise that the directory number used for your business will be transferred to Buzz but if your business depends on broadband you may find that Sky's broadband does not give you the level of service required for this purpose.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

jstvj (04-10-13)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast