Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ordering Sky Talk on-line - existing number

This is a discussion on Ordering Sky Talk on-line - existing number within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, If I order Sky Talk on-line will the existing phone number ( BT ) be automatically transferred or should ...

Focus2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Ordering Sky Talk on-line - existing number

Hi, If I order Sky Talk on-line will the existing phone number (BT) be automatically transferred or should I just phone customer services? Says to let them know in help, but not how too.
      Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Ordering Sky Talk on-line - existing number

I would place a friendly call to Sky once you have placed your order to ensure that it is transferred across. It is definately possible.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Focus2000 View Post
      Hi, If I order Sky Talk on-line will the existing phone number (BT) be automatically transferred or should I just phone customer services? Says to let them know in help, but not how too.
      Cheers.
      I'd say phone too. I've seen too many orders placed online that get renumbered "by mistake" to risk it.
      Although in saying that it isn't usually from BT that this happens, in fact to contradict what I've said we don't get the option of a new number with BT line transfers only with Virgin/talktalk/other LLU providers.

Thanks

I know from experience when I helped someone to sign up to Sky and switch from TalkTalk that there was no clear option to keep the number.

We'd gone through an on-line offer and the TalkTalk number wasn't recorgnised/allowed to be used when the line chec was performed. This meant that that it wasn't picked up later.

Thankfully it wasn't a serious issue as the she had only given it to 3 people (GP & 2 friends). Everyone else contacts her via a mobile phone.

The joke was that 5 months later TalkTalk started threatening legal action as they were still invoicing for a line that was no longer in use. In case she wanted to keep the number they had kept the in reserve and wanted to charge her line rental for a service she was no longer receiving from them. That took 3 months to resolve. In the mean time TalkTalk messed up her credit rating.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I know from experience when I helped someone to sign up to Sky and switch from TalkTalk that there was no clear option to keep the number.

We'd gone through an on-line offer and the TalkTalk number wasn't recorgnised/allowed to be used when the line chec was performed. This meant that that it wasn't picked up later.

Thankfully it wasn't a serious issue as the she had only given it to 3 people (GP & 2 friends). Everyone else contacts her via a mobile phone.

The joke was that 5 months later TalkTalk started threatening legal action as they were still invoicing for a line that was no longer in use. In case she wanted to keep the number they had kept the in reserve and wanted to charge her line rental for a service she was no longer receiving from them. That took 3 months to resolve. In the mean time TalkTalk messed up her credit rating.
      We can only contact the existing provider where we have the number that they are running the line on, you are quite lucky that talktalk gave you this goodwill gesture.
      We see the same problem the other way too and most advisors aren't so forthcoming with refunds.

Focus2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Thanks, will phone, cant be doing with any hassle (although reading on other experiences it's putting me off a bit lol). Wonder why there is no option to request on the on-line form or a place where you cant enter request.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      We can only contact the existing provider where we have the number that they are running the line on, you are quite lucky that talktalk gave you this goodwill gesture.
      We see the same problem the other way too and most advisors aren't so forthcoming with refunds.
      I appreciate what you are saying there. Actually I ought to take it up through someone to see if things have improved since then.

The point was that we couldn't put the number in when ordering and as only 3 people knew the number it was easy enough to not worry about it.

As for cancelling out the apparent debt, they knew that their line had been cancelled. They knew that the broadband had been cancelled. They knew that she had switched to Sky for both and on what date. They had even been advised by my friend that she had switched across.

I would hope with such information that Sky would have resolved such an isue quicker and without leaving any outstanding charges too.

Quote Originally Posted by Focus2000 View Post
      Thanks, will phone, cant be doing with any hassle (although reading on other experiences it's putting me off a bit lol). Wonder why there is no option to request on the on-line form or a place where you cant enter request.
      No problem. Things should run more smoothly. As you are looking to keep your phone number you should be fine. There are systems in place to allow you to keep it and to the best of my knowledge you should be fine.

Do remember that most people do not have problems when switching between providers. It is good to be aware of potential issues but to keep them in context.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

When changing supplier it is best not to contact your existing supplier unless told by your future supplier that you need to obtain a MAC. Even then don't mention anything about cancelling your services or you could be left without phone and/or broadband or the ability to port your directory number.

Your existing supplier will usually contact you with a "sorry to hear you are leaving" letter. If you don't hear from your existing supplier wait until the transfer is complete as verified by change of router and listening to recorded message on 151 then call your old supplier to enquire about the final account balance and whether any payment or refund is due.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I appreciate what you are saying there. Actually I ought to take it up through someone to see if things have improved since then.

The point was that we couldn't put the number in when ordering and as only 3 people knew the number it was easy enough to not worry about it.

As for cancelling out the apparent debt, they knew that their line had been cancelled. They knew that the broadband had been cancelled. They knew that she had switched to Sky for both and on what date. They had even been advised by my friend that she had switched across.

I would hope with such information that Sky would have resolved such an isue quicker and without leaving any outstanding charges too.

No problem. Things should run more smoothly. As you are looking to keep your phone number you should be fine. There are systems in place to allow you to keep it and to the best of my knowledge you should be fine.

Do remember that most people do not have problems when switching between providers. It is good to be aware of potential issues but to keep them in context.
      These problems are much rarer when switching to Sky as Sky can now port numbers from all UK phone providers.

Switching away from Sky is a bit more fraught as many providers like Orange (despite using BT systems for their service) and talktalk are still unable (unwilling due to cost?) to port numbers when the customer is on SVBN. When going to these and other providers where they tell you you will need to take a new number you still need to call Sky and give the required 10 working days notice to cancel. If you don't do this then we have no real way to tell when the other service took over. We can get an indication from when calls stopped but some people don't use their landline and broadband usage is calculated on a monthly basis so we can only tell which month it stopped.