Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SMS on Sky Talk

This is a discussion on SMS on Sky Talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I know this has been raised before,but i can't seem to find weather it was ever resolved. My question is ...

sparkie415 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01303
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

SMS on Sky Talk

I know this has been raised before,but i can't seem to find weather it was ever resolved.

My question is i have been given a set of Siemens SL910A phone as a thank you present. The phones have the option to send and receive SMS messages.However i'm not having a lot of luck.
      When i send a sms it says transfering data, and approx 1-2 mins later the message comes back with an error id ,stating the name of the person i sent the sms to.

Phoned Siemens, they said as long as your phone line provider supports sms messaging it will work.They told me to me ask sky for the message centre number and enter it into the phone if it is not already ther as this should be automatic.

Phoned sky tech and they were very polite but did not seem to know anything about sending sms via sky talk (even though its listed in there price list at 0.10 per text.

I rang again later and spoke to another tech guy who knew about this issue and said no message centre number is required.
      Rang Siemens back and they are quite adament that a message centre number is required.

Ican however receive a text message but it comes through as a voice text.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Dominic

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: SMS on Sky Talk

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to send SMS from the landline if your voice service is on the Sky Voice & Broadband Network (i.e. your line is Full MPF).

Like you, however, I can receive SMS messages. Some have arrived as a spoken message from BT Text (called by 0845 602 1111). Some have arrived as an actual SMS. Seems to depend on the originated mobile network. House phones are Siemens Gigaset C475.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

sparkie415 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01303
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      As far as I am aware, it is not possible to send SMS from the landline if your voice service is on the Sky Voice & Broadband Network (i.e. your line is Full MPF).

Like you, however, I can receive SMS messages. Some have arrived as a spoken message from BT Text (called by 0845 602 1111). Some have arrived as an actual SMS. Seems to depend on the originated mobile network. House phones are Siemens Gigaset C475.
      Hi speedyrite did you enter a message centre number under settings >sms service centre on your Gigaset C 475 ?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Think it's 1470P17094009 (the P is a pause) for sending and 0800587529 for receiving texts but as Speedyrite says it doesn't work if you are on SVBN. You also need to send a text message containing the word "Register" (without the quotes) to 00000 to activate the service.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie415 View Post
      Hi speedyrite did you enter a message centre number under settings >sms service centre on your Gigaset C 475 ?
      No I have never entered any message centre numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Think it's 1470P17094009 (the P is a pause) for sending and 0800587529 for receiving texts but as Speedyrite says it doesn't work if you are on SVBN. You also need to send a text message containing the word "Register" (without the quotes) to 00000 to activate the service.
      Yes I recall doing all this a few years ago when SMS on landline first came out. I was on BT then.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)