Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I ask for compensation.

This is a discussion on Should I ask for compensation. within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have just had my broadband and talk activated after having to wait 81 days. I am thinking I should ...

radzinsky77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Should I ask for compensation.

I have just had my broadband and talk activated after having to wait 81 days. I am thinking I should ask for some form of compensation for the inconvenience but not sure about it at all.
      Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place, please bear with me it's a very long story.

On the 5th of November I ordered the unlimited broadband and talk package, it was due to be installed on the 21st of November. On the 14th I telephoned Sky and informed them that I was moving out and asked if I could have it activated at my new address instead. I was told this was not possible and it had to be activated at my old address 1st and then moved over.

So next step was when I moved on the 22nd, I phoned again and told them I had moved and needed it moved over, they told me they couldn't find my address on their system, due to Royal mail bundling 4 flats as one address apparently. I was told to contact Royal mail and get them to list my address as 1 flat. I was also told then that it would have been possible to activate it at my new place and not do a home move. So the 1st guy had given me misinformation.

Royal mail told me that SKY had a separate list for houses of multiple occupancy like my flat, so I did not need my address unbundled. So for the 2nd time SKY had given me misinformation.

In the meantime my talk line and broadband were active at my old flat, now sky assured me they could not be used, but I know for a fact that they were using the internet as I went around and saw them. The new tenants are friends of mine.

I then decided to cancel the contract completely, and was told it would take 14 days to do, until then I was apparently liable for any usage or charges on the account, even though I moved out before it was activated.

A few days later my cousin who works for SKY in manchester told me to try again and gave me a friends and family discount code to use, so I ordered Sky TV, and the same broadband and talk package as I did originally. Knowing the address problems, I manually inputted my address twice, once to discover the services in my area, and then again to actually order my products. I put my address as flat 4, however when I got the letter from them on 27th November my address was listed as flats 1-4. Not what I inputted twice at all. With an installation date of December 1st for my TV and December 11th for the rest of it. The TV was installed fine no probs, but December 11th came and went and I had no phone line and no internet.

The next day I phoned them and they told me that it was working fine, I said it wasn't so they tested it by phoning me, lo and behold one of my neighbours answered. They had taken over someone else's line. The SKY guy then told me that the only way to fix it was to cancel my contract AGAIN and re-order it again and hope it worked the next time. He said 14 days to cancel and then 10 days to connect, so another 24 days before I would get internet access. He said he would credit me with 20 to buy a wireless dongle, to use until then.

I went to a friends place later that day to check my account, and saw that there was no 20 credit and instead of cancelling my contract, it now said I was having a home move. From flats 1-4 to flat 4. And that it would not be completed until January the 23rd. 42 days after it was supposed to be activated.

So i phoned up and got told there was no record of my earlier call. So for the 3rd time I was lied to or given misinformation by a SKY employee.

I raised a complaint and was assigned a dude to deal with it, he said he would investigate but that there was nothing that could be done to install my services quicker than January 23rd. He decided to order me a wireless dongle himself as a goodwill gesture. That was Friday the 14th December, it never arrived. On the 31st I spoke to him again and he reordered the dongle, this one arrived on the 7th of January, 24 days late.

I then discovered they had taken a mystery sum of 14.50 out of my bank account, and when I phoned up they told me that they had no record of it and had not taken it. I was told I had to print out my bank statement and send it to their finance department and wait 30 days for an investigation.

A few days later I worked out that it was from my 1st contract, so I phoned up and it turned out I was right they had taken money for a service that was cancelled weeks before. The guy on the phone told me that although they had taken 14.50 out there was 17.98 due to be credited. He told me he would credit it to my current account instead straight away. So I waited and waited and it never happened. So for the 4th time I was lied to or given misinformation by a SKY employee.

The next time I checked online it now said I needed a BT engineer to come and install a phone line, even though I already had a working one, when I phoned up to ask why I was told there was no working phone lines at flat 4 so I needed a new one, I knew there was because I have a phone point which gets a dial tone when you plug a phone in.

Anyway cut to the 23rd, BT engineer arrives to install a phone line. I tell him I already have one, he is very surprised. And says he can test if it works right there and then. He plugs in some equipment and goes outside to his van for 15 minutes, when he comes back in he says it is working fine and there are no problems. I tell him that SKY said when I order broadband I have to wait for BT to go to the local exchange and flick a switch basically. He told me this is the case but said switch was flicked weeks ago for flat 4. So I waited all that time for it to be SKY to activate me for no reason at all.
      That makes the 5th time a SKY employee had given me the wrong information.

My talk and broadband was activated on the 23rd and is now working perfectly. I messaged the guy dealing with my complaint to let him know, and ask for the 17.98 I was due to be added to my account. He did straightaway, and then said if I ever have any more problems to get back in touch. Basically signing off as if that was an end to my complaint.

In my opinion this is far from the end of my complaint, I want to know why they got my address wrong after I manually inputted it at every stage, and why I was lied to and fed what was basically rubbish at every stage of this. And some answers about why I had to wait 81 days from my original order of SKY products to finally getting what I ordered.

I am unemployed at the moment and rely on the internet to do all my job hunting, this was seriously impaired by not having the internet, Not to mention the fact that in the 21st century most of us rely on the internet for almost everything. And I was effectively cut off from the world for all that time.

I believe they should be offering me something to make up for all their failures and incompetence, or to be quite honest I am tempted to just cancel my contract and never use SKY for anything again.

I apologise for such a long post but I had to get it all down to properly explain what SKY have done to annoy me over this matter.

Thanks for reading.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Should I ask for compensation.

I would certainly contact Sky's customer services first and talk to someone there about your issues.

Typically Sky won't actually give cash out, but they can credit your account suitably.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

radzinsky77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

By compensation I don'r necessarily mean I want cash, I'm just as willing to accept say significant discounts to my service costs. I am waiting for the guy dealing with my complaint to get back to me at the moment.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

That is fine. It is common practise for Sky to wait for the issue to be resolved before refunding or offering discounts. This way it can all be completed in one go. Hopefully the person whom you have been dealing with will be able to offer you something which will suitably make up for the hiccups.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.