Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who gets the money?

This is a discussion on Who gets the money? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Please can somebody give me an answer to a simple question. Who gets the money and how is it allocated ...

castro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hythe, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Who gets the money?

Please can somebody give me an answer to a simple question.
      Who gets the money and how is it allocated when I make a call to an 0845 number?
      I have Sky Talk Anytime and I pay Sky for the line rental.
      The cost is:
      13.1p connection fee.
      6.63p per minute.

I know other packages give free calls to 0845 numbers etc. but what I am trying to find out is where the money goes.
      For example, who and how much does Sky pay in order for me to make my call?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Who gets the money?

The revenue from 0845 numbers is shared between the owner of the number and service provider. So if you are calling Sky on an 0845 number all of it goes to Sky. If you are calling, say your Local Government office, part goes to Sky and part to the Local Government.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The revenue from 0845 numbers is shared between the owner of the number and service provider. So if you are calling Sky on an 0845 number all of it goes to Sky. If you are calling, say your Local Government office, part goes to Sky and part to the Local Government.
      My understanding is that a third party company "rents" the 0845 number to the Bank / Local Government Office etc.
      The 0845 number provider then "piggybacks" the 0845 number onto the Bank's existing geo. line.
      The Bank still pays the service provider geo. line rental.
      Presumably, the service provider then pays the 0845 number provider each time the number is dialled and the 0845 number provider then shares the money with the Bank etc.
      So the additional cost over calling a standard telephone number is the money paid to the 0845 number provider.
      Sky include the connection fee and call fee costs to geo. lines in their package, so if Sky charge 10.92p (excl. VAT) connection charge and 5.525p per min. (excl. VAT) call charge to call 0845 numbers, then I wonder how much Sky actually pay the 0845 number provider.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

HMRC were asked this question under the Freedom of Information Act. In their response they stated:
      I have established that HMRC receives no revenue through its use of 0845 numbers. It may be helpful if I explain that HMRCs Contact Centre telephony is provided through a commercial arrangement called the Telephony Managed Service. This takes account of the in-payments HMRCs telephony service provider receives from licensed operators carrying these 0845 calls. The arrangement ensures that the Telephony Managed Service is provided at the lowest cost while remaining flexible enough to adapt to business and customer needs.
      I cannot speak for Sky who as far as I know do not supply telephone services to businesses but BT states:
      0845 call costs are shared between you and the caller. You pay call charges of 3.48 pence per minute. Your customer pays 3.9 pence per minute plus a set-up fee. 0845 numbers are free to call for your caller if they have the appropriate calling plan. There is also a monthly line rental of 10 plus VAT.

Thanks

This is one of the articles I found -
      0845 numbers available for 20, local rate 0845 telephone numbers

This is another reference -
      What are the differences between 0845 and 0844 numbers? | Numberstore

With particular this statement -
      0845 and 0844 numbers have the added benefit of revenue sharing, where the service provider and the business receiving the call share the revenue. This is useful for businesses that provide technical support services to their customers and other similar help desk services.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It still begs the question: Who gets the money (and how much)
      It appears that the reason why HMRC receives no revenue is because it receives free equipment etc from the 0845 number provider who gets money from the service provider who gets money from the caller.
      The BT statement, which I had found previously, does not seem to make any sense.
      If my premise regarding Sky is correct, then the only additional cost to Sky, over and above the costs they incur to provide the services for their call packages, is the money they give to the 0845 number provider.
      So, and here is the rub, do Sky pay the 0845 number provider all of the additional call fee ie 16.44p per call or does Sky make a nice little profit itself out of these calls?
      Answers on a postcard etc.!!!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

To be fair sky can make what they want off the phones

Nearly every other company makes money off the numbers and don't forget those of us on sky line rental dont get charged for calling sky anyway

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

It still begs the question: Who gets the money (and how much)
      If you are talking about calling Sky, you don't pay any money. How much Sky pay for the service is a trade secret.

TomD

Useful Utilites

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are talking about calling Sky, you don't pay any money. How much Sky pay for the service is a trade secret.
      Castro was asking about 0845 numbers whereas Sky exclusively uses 0844, though it may erroneously quote 0870 on some of its correspondence.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have obtained some information from another forum.
      It appears that there exists a standardised charge of about 2p that Call Providers (Sky, for example,) pays to the 0845 number provider for each 0845 call.
      The 0845 number provider can then share (or not) part of this 2p charge with the organisation receiving the call.
      This 2p charge is called the "Service Charge".
      It appears that the Call Provider can charge its own customers whatever it likes to make an 0845 call.
      In the case of Sky, the charges are 10.92p (excl. VAT) connection charge and 5.525p per min. (excl. VAT).
      The point I made previously was that for customers having a Sky Talk Package there is no charge for calls to geo. numbers.
      Surely it then follows that for these customers the only additional cost should be the 2p Service Charge as the call connection charge should be included in the Sky Talk Package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast