Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky phone line not working.... concerned i cant get it fixed.

This is a discussion on Sky phone line not working.... concerned i cant get it fixed. within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi My house has been fitted with an excellent internal phone and wired network issue (when it works) a couple ...

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky phone line not working.... concerned i cant get it fixed.

Hi

My house has been fitted with an excellent internal phone and wired network issue (when it works)

a couple of months ago it started to play up, people phoning and it not ringing, or phoning and it actually connecting with no answer

The thing is, try as i might i have no idea where my master socket it. I did not set up the system so have no idea how it is wired up.

the phoneline comes in on a mast and goes into a box on my gable end outside, 2 lines come from this and go into the house but neitehr of these seem like master sockets, they are both phone and cat5 network point sockets. (i only have 1 phone line)

i am no electrical engineer and my internal wiring seems pretty complicated.

sky has said from what they can tell the problem is in my house (have tried plugging into all the sockets with nothing else connected and it does not fix the problem and tried multiple phones)

they have warned me that if they send out an engineer he may refuse to touch it, but even if not then i will be charged.

I feel a bit stuck in the middle really. Currently all the cables are chased into the walls and i have a perfectly decorated house. i equally do not want to have to bodge wires everywhere.

Does anyone have any experience of openreach engineers, do they tend to be a helpful bunch? At the very least will they fit me a master socket as i do not seem to have one.

I have checked the inside of the sockets looking for corrosion or damp but i cant see anything untoward. The odd thing is my broadband seems unaffected.

I can get away with only 2 working phone sockets in the house - one for my phone and 1 next to my network switch. without my netowork switch i would be snookered so i am worried.

Thanks for any thoughts

M,
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

2. Advertisement
      steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Re: Sky phone line not working.... concerned i cant get it fixed.

Hiya

Can you post photos of the two sockets that the incoming lines go to?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There are a few different types of Master Sockets. The ideal type is the NTE5 as it has a simple method to isolate the internal wiring from the telephone line.

NTE5 Socket, with split faceplate removed, exposing the Test Socket

However there are many instances where this is not the case. Many home have an older style Master Socket which does not have the split faceplate. If you remove the cover you should find a capacitor. In many the capacitor is yellow or blue and about the size of a AAA battery.

A few different BT Master Sockets, showing their capacitors.

If you are happy to do so, note which wires are connected to which IDC Connectors (2 & 5 will be used, 3 and 4 may be used). Pull the wires out and test your telephone system.

To replace the wires either use a proper IDC tool or a plastic card, such as a credit card.

IDC Tool , Simple tool to allow termination to IDC blocks

If you are interested, you could replace the Master Socket with an NTE5 socket. Whilst this is technically against BTO's rules, it isn't illegal. If you are competent and do a good job, no one will know any different.

There is a 3rd option. This is an External NTE5 (XNTE5) socket. This is a grey box on the outside of your property.

As for the charges, this is a normal warning. If the fault is confirmed to be between the Master Socket and the telephone exchange, then you will not be charged.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

2 lines come from this and go into the house but neitehr of these seem like master sockets, they are both phone and cat5 network point sockets. (i only have 1 phone line)
      It looks like your house has been incorrectly wired and you have 2 master sockets. If both have a phone port and an ADSL port on them they must be NTE5 type line boxes. The only way to know for sure is to open the box on your external wall and check where the 2 wires are fixed. If they are both fixed to the same terminals someone has messed up and it needs sorted out.

Photos of the inside of the external box and your internal sockets would be of help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.