Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Reconnecting existing Sky line.

This is a discussion on Reconnecting existing Sky line. within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've just moved into a property where the landlord tells me the previous tenant had Sky installed, supposedly with Sky ...

mikehiow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Reconnecting existing Sky line.

I've just moved into a property where the landlord tells me the previous tenant had Sky installed, supposedly with Sky Talk as well.

I made an order today for television, phone and broadband only to receive an email asking me to contact Sky regarding my order. This led to me speaking to some eastern call-centre where they wanted to re-process my order (good bye Quidco!)

Now, they told me the telephone order could not be processed and that I need to phone BT to register my postcode with them. Given that my full address appears in all BT based line/broadband checkers and there's an Openreach NTE5 on the wall, one would assume that BT are perfectly aware of my address.

Now, I'm wondering if the issue relates to the kind of issues users have had with migrating away from MPF services in that Sky had the phone line but have since disconnected it (there is no dial time), yet BT don't have it either.

Has anyone come across this problem before, or have any suggestions on perhaps who I may need to speak to?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Reconnecting existing Sky line.

I think someone may be providing you with the wrong information. Unless the property has been divided into smaller flats or something, then you shouldn't need to do this.

What is a common issue is when people cancel a connection it can take up to 3 weeks for the line to clear.

I would be inclined to call again and ask to speak to someone else who knows what they are doing. If they do have to reprocess your order specifically mention that your original order had an offer and that you would still like that offer to be made available.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

TheBugster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I am having a similar-ish problem (sorry to hijack the thread) but I am about to pull all my hair out and hoping someone can help!!

I placed an order for TV, SkyTalk and Fibre over a month ago as we just exchanged contracts on a house and had a long completion; so I thought I'd order early to make sure everything could get installed pretty much as soon as soon as we moved in.

The TV order was fairly simple....after a few calls backwards and forwards, I got the date I wanted (when ordering online it asks you which date you would prefer...why it asks you this I don't know as you have to call up anyway to get an actual date - I rang up a number of times to be told the diary didn't go far forward enough..to ring back only a few days later and be told my date had gone and even a week after with no availability! After a few calls I eventually got my date

Now on to the Sky Talk/Fibre order - what a pain and I am seriously considering cancelling the lot. The line at the new address (with the current occupiers) when I placed the order was on TalkTalk, but I had been told they were moving it over to BT so they could keep their number. Obviously Sky aren't in total contol of the line takeover as they use Openreach for this. However, let me talk you through the order online. The first part of the order is to check availability - fair enough! As I didn't have the phone number in the house, you are able to check the address which I put in. The next bit is the interesting part: you are asked whether "you currently live at this address" or "I am moving / have just moved house - this is my new address". Of course I clicked the I am Moving selection and a popup window appears and says "Sky will organise the process of taking over the phone line at your new address, and you will not be charged an activation fee."

Great - so I thought, while another message appears "You have indicated this is an address you are yet to move in to. You will be asked to provide your moving in date during the checkout process. The Sky Broadband and Talk products available at your address are shown below. "

The next part is from memory but I think you are able to choose the date you want the line activated and the Fibre installed. With all the questions being asked, you are under the impression that you are able to order your line activation in advance of moving into a property where the current occupiers have a active line.

The first time, the order was rejected - and I was told I needed to re-place the whole order - this is because I didn't provide the phone number. Fine, so the order was placed again after I obtained the number from the current occupants. Again, it was rejected, and this time I was told it was just a computer error and it would be fine again. Again, rejected. I can't remember what happened next but the order was definitely re-placed to again be rejected. This is now 3 weeks into when I placed the original order with a week to go. After demanding to speak to someone who knew what they were talking about, I was told it is illegal/impossible to put an order through on a line in a property where you don't live - the staff could not understand why I was doing this and was told I would need to place the order only when we move in. I still don't understand why this is the case and said I didn't of course want to take the line over until I was in ownership of the property...added to this, the whole online order process clearly asks specific questions like the above that I wrote re. "I am moving/this is my new addresss" and "what date are you moving into the property".

So I wanted to speak to someone again on Monday (week and a half before we get the keys) and went to speak to an "expert" - after telling me it would be impossible to do, he went through the order on his system and said he could clearly see the order had now gone through the the line activation would be happening the day after we moved in! I asked him if he was sure and he said 100%. So....today I thought I'd call again to see what the story was today and told the same news as before that it has been rejected and no way can I start the order process off until I take ownership of the property!!! GRRRRRRR - should it really be this difficult? Every agent I spoke to said they had never heard of my position before!! They all agreed the whole process is too complicated and the statements when ordering about "this is my new address and I am yet to move in" was really silly, as in their opinion, you shouldn't be able to order a line takeover until you move in.

Does anyone think I am mad/being totally thick or are Sky just being completely incompetent?

If I had been told this info at the beginning I wouldn't have had a problem at all - but after probably 10 phonecalls at my expense and complete waste of timel; I was only being told in the past week or so that I would need to wait till I moved in.

And to add, I just went on to the BT Website as if to place an order with them and a message says there is an existing line at the address and when you say Yes, keep the existing line it says "That's fine. The current owner has already told us they no longer need the line so we'll transfer it to you at no cost and give you a new number" (Adding a brand new line is free as well) - so...if I can order it directly with BT, surellllllyyyy Sky can too!?!

Sorry for the long message and I hope someone can add some clarity!!

Cheers
      Last edited by TheBugster; 06-10-12 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks

It is annoying when all doesn't go well when you order a new product. Certainly someone should be doing much better and your problems should not of happened.

I trust by 'expert' that you have been speaking with someone within the Fibre team?

Unfortunately whilst we could offer many tips to help with a lot of things, in this case I think that you would be best to contact the Executive team and ask for them to help you to resolve this problem.

jeremy dot darroch at bskyb dot com

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that - yes, I realise nobody here can really help as finding the correct person within Sky is almost impossible; I have had a different reason from almost every person I have spoken to! I just wanted to find out other people's experiences.

Yes, I will be sending my post above (slightly edited) to the exec team on Monday (have it all ready but would rather they saw the email come in on Monday and not have it sitting there on a weekend so they have an excuse that they didn't see it!)

Thanks for your comments though.

Thanks

No worries about finding help on here. There are quite a few who appear to be having ordering issues with Sky Fibre at the moment. It would be nice to be able to have a good reason for this to help. Perhaps someone can comment n this?

As for contacting the Executive team, you might be interested to know that some of them do work over the weekend.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks...i'll send an email tomorrow and see if anyone contacts us