Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Switching line from BT to Sky

This is a discussion on Switching line from BT to Sky within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I currently have Sky TV, Sky Broadband Unlimited and a BT phone line with their Unlimited Anytime Plan. I have ...

ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

I currently have Sky TV, Sky Broadband Unlimited and a BT phone line with their Unlimited Anytime Plan.

I have just received an offer from Sky for Sky Line Rental free for 3 months and 12.25 a month afterwards.
      If I accepted this offer, I would also take Sky Talk Unlimited at 5 a month. However, as I would save 5 on my broadband for taking Sky Talk, this would be cost neutral.

I have 4 questions:

1. How long does it take for the BT line to be taken over by Sky?

2. The Sky Talk Tariff Guide states that Sky Line Rental will be going up to 14.50 a month on 1st September.
      How do I know that I won't get caught by this and pay 14.50 a month rather than 12.25 after my 3 free months have expired?

3. In this forum there is mention of the ability to pay Sky the line rental upfront to save money (like BT Line Rental Saver). I see no mention of this product on the Sky web site. Is this still available and how do I get it?

4. Am I right in assuming that I will no longer be able to use override providers such as 18185 and 1899 to avoid Sky's high charges for calls to mobiles?

Thanks.
      Last edited by ToeKnee; 12-08-12 at 07:39 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Switching line from BT to Sky

Quote Originally Posted by ToeKnee View Post
      1. How long does it take for the BT line to be taken over by Sky?
      Depending on availability of appoints with BTO, 10 days is a common period. This will be confirmed when you place the order.

2. The Sky Talk Tariff Guide states that Sky Line Rental will be going up to 14.50 a month on 1st September.
      How do I know that I won't get caught by this and pay 14.50 a month rather than 12.25 after my 3 free months have expired?
      It will go up to after the 3 months.

3. In this forum there is mention of the ability to pay Sky the line rental upfront to save money (like BT Line Rental Saver). I see no mention of this product on the Sky web site. Is this still available and how do I get it?
      When on the phone, ask. It isn't generally advertised but it is available. Whether it will be affected by this offer which has been made to you, I do not know.

4. Am I right in assuming that I will no longer be able to use override providers such as 18185 and 1899 to avoid Sky's high charges for calls to mobiles?
      Correct.

Personally when I need to call someone on a mobile, I use my mobile phone. I would do this no matter which call provider I was with as they all charge too much to call a mobile from a land-line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread but 14.50 line rental increase from September 1st - that's the first I've heard about this

I wonder when Sky where planning on actually telling me this (as per their terms and conditions)????

Thanks

Looking back, I think that this may be for new customers from September. Looking at the thread for price increases from 1st September it isn't mentioned.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-n...er-2012-a.html

Sky Account and Billing | Sky price changes for 2012
      Sky Line Rental No change for existing Sky Talk customers

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

RJM
      RJM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Weybridge
      Broadband ISP: Now PlusNet
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

You, can still use "185185" by dialing "0808-1-703-703" - the, rates are not quite as cheap as via an BT line but, still cheaper.

Richie Rich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky World HD
      Thanks

Anyone who already has Sky Talk line rental or takes out Line rental before the 1st of Sept will still pay 12.25 a month.

Anyone who takes out Line rental after the 1st of Sept will pay the new rate of 14.50.

If you have line rental with Sky at the moment, then you will not be affected.

Thanks

Thanks for all your answers.

The offer letter from Sky only mentioned that the line rental is 12.25 a month after the 1st 3 months and that the offer ends on 30 August. There is no mention of 14.50 a month line rental.

So it sounds like as "an existing Sky Talk customer" I would not be affected by this price increase immediately as long as I am connected before the offer ends.
      I expect that this condition willl only apply for a short time (a year maybe) and that all Sky Talk customers will have to pay the new rate of 14.50 a month eventually.

The small print says that this is for a 12 month minimum term, so in theory I could always switch back to BT if they offer better value at the time. However, as I would be connected to Sky's network and no longer have a BT line, (apart from the BT Openreach cable from my house to the exchange, obviously) then I expect that I would have to pay a large fee to get a new BT line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
      You, can still use "185185" by dialing "0808-1-703-703" - the, rates are not quite as cheap as via an BT line but, still cheaper.
      No being able to use overide providers like 18185 is not a deal breaker because I should still be able to use services such as Ratebuster (0844 735 0000) or other 0844 xxx or 0871 xxx numbers.

Thanks

According to MSE, Sky Upfront Line Rental is available by calling 08442 411 653, however I don't think that I will bother for the 1st year, as the offer of (119.40 a year (9.95 x 12) isn't quite as good as the offer in the letter of 110.25 for the 1st year (3 months free + 12.25 x 9).

Thanks

Depending on which country/ies you are calling, Sky does allow free calls to some, so it may be a non-issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast