Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky talk cancelled

This is a discussion on Sky talk cancelled within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I don't want to bore everyone with a long story but I'm probably going to! Me and my friend ...

Rheanna is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky talk cancelled

Hi I don't want to bore everyone with a long story but I'm probably going to! Me and my friend moved into our new flat 2 months ago, we ordered sky tv, unlimited broadband and sky talk but there was an issue with the phoneline so only got sky tv. Basically they said out flat had an active phoneline (no dial tone) we found out the number and they said they could do a working line takeover. They said it was likely that the last tenants didn't cancel properly when they left. We paid for them to sort it and they sent us an activation date. That came and went and they text to say they couldn't complete it. They told me It was cancelled by a previous supplier but we don't know who that is. They told me to try 150 with no dial tone which didn't work so I don't know what to do as the last tenants dealings with their phoneline have nothing to do with me. I just wondered if this is something that happens often and any advice on how to handle it would be appreciated as everytime I ring sky someone tells me something different and all seem to be guessing at answers.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Sky talk cancelled

Sadly if a previous occupier doesn't cancel the telephone line properly, it can cause the new occupier problems.

If I recall correctly, it can take 3 weeks from when the line has been cancelled for the marker to show that it is clear.

There are several measures in place (put in by Ofcom) to prevent someone maliciously changing the line provider. However they can get in the way when someone legitimately needs to get it sorted when they move in.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.