Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Dialling the 01202 Bournemouth code from 1 November

This is a discussion on Dialling the 01202 Bournemouth code from 1 November within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Ofcom | Dialling the 01202 Bournemouth code from 1 November People living in Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch will soon have ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Dialling the 01202 Bournemouth code from 1 November

Ofcom | Dialling the 01202 Bournemouth code from 1 November
      People living in Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch will soon have to dial the 01202 area code to make a local call, Ofcom confirmed today.
      Ofcom has proposed that this change comes into effect on 1 November 2012, subject to consultation.

It is designed to safeguard the future supply of landline numbers in the Bournemouth area and avoid the need to change existing phone numbers.

The supply of new landline numbers also ensures that consumers and businesses continue to enjoy the widest choice of telecoms providers. The cost of calls will not be affected by dialling the code.

Bournemouth will be the first area in the UK to have to dial the area code.

The area that uses the 01202 dialling code is one of a small number of places
      in the UK where telephone numbers are in short supply.

Ofcom is working with telecoms providers, the local council, local consumer and business groups and charities to inform the local Bournemouth community well in advance of the need to dial the code.

How it works

At the moment, when making a local call it is not necessary to use the area code.

But this prevents Ofcom from allocating local numbers beginning with a 0 or 1 such as 01202 075 362 or 01273 118 903. This is because if a local resident dialled 075 362 or 118 903, for example, omitting the 01202 code, the network would think they were dialling a mobile number (075) or directory enquiries number (118) rather than a local Bournemouth number.

However, using the code for local calls enables Ofcom to introduce many more numbers without this confusion.

Why now?

Currently, Ofcom allocates 01 and 02 telephone numbers to around 300 telecoms providers across the UK free of charge in large blocks.

These companies then use the numbers to provide services to homes, businesses and other organisations.

The number of telecoms providers has increased significantly over the last eight years, leading to more competition and cheaper landline bills for millions of homes and businesses.

But it has also led to increased pressure on the supply of phone numbers as well as some telecoms providers holding a significant quantity of unused numbers.

Ofcom is also looking at a number of other ways to tackle this problem, including increasing the supply of numbers in certain areas like Bournemouth.

Ofcom expects that similar changes may also be required in Aberdeen (01224), Brighton and Hove (01273), Bradford (01274) and Middlesbrough (01642) by 2015.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Dialling the 01202 Bournemouth code from 1 November

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Ofcom expects that similar changes may also be required in Aberdeen (01224), Brighton and Hove (01273), Bradford (01274) and Middlesbrough (01642) by 2015.
      As predicted local dialling in these areas together with Milton Keynes will no longer be available from 1st October 2014.

Ofcom | Dial the Code

Thanks

It will mean that a lot of people will need to reprogram their telephone.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I didn't hear of many complaints from Bournemouth residents so hopefully the majority of those effected by this new tranche will take it in their stride.
      Caller display always displays the full number anyway, irrespective of where the call originates from.
      I find that when I get a new number I tend to save the full national number on my mobile (by necessity) and on my home phone only dropping the 023 for calls dialled manually.

Thanks

Yeah, much the same here. Caller display always shows the full number, which gets changed to the person's name if it is programmed on the phone.

Any people I call in the Portsmouth or Southampton areas on my home phone don't tend to have the 023 part. That will need to be changed.

Of course mobile phones have always had the full umbers stored due to how they work. Generally it is good practise to have +44 at the beginning too. At least we don't need this yet on the landline and mobiles will work with both within the UK.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Of course mobile phones have always had the full umbers stored due to how they work. Generally it is good practise to have +44 at the beginning too. At least we don't need this yet on the landline and mobiles will work with both within the UK.
      The last time I changed my mobile I had a problem. Voice calls were ok but text messages started to fail to some, but not all, contacts in my phone book. A call to customer service involving a factory reset was no use whatsoever.

The problem was eventually cured when a friend suggested replacing +44 with zero in the affected entries.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

For anyone travelling abroard on a regular basis, where they may wish to use their mobile, that could become an issue, but if it works then fine.

I know on my own phone that I have a mixture of numbers with and without the +44 or 0 at the beginning.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Be honest I always dial the code and number no matter what.
      With a mobile, would do that anyway, if I ever actually dial a number, as its normally just a touch of a web link on a mobile these days or through an app and contacts.
      Not that I use a landline much these days, but even local to me I would still dial the full code, its not that it costs any less dialling just the local number anymore.

Always wondered why they do not get rid of the codes and just give us all a number like a mobile number we can take with us, they would not run out then.

Many in our area still have never grasped the reason for the 023 and then 92xxxxxx for portsmouth and 80xxxxxx for soton change we had many moons ago.
      A recent survey showed the misconception that if I remember correctly only about 12% of people actually understood it and how long have we had them.
      There was a similar survey I recall in London for the 020 (0207 0208) codes a few years back taht should a similar low percentage understood.

But saying that, are local codes really necessary these days, why not have a generic landline number like a mobile, why do we need local numbers at all?
      If its a cost thing surely a distant factor from landline to landline can factor the difference and surely that happens now.
      Oh no forgot its complicated so Ofcom, BT and the like can have these talk packages so we get jupped into having complex and expensive ways to make a call. Thanks Ofcom.

Down here, we are often referred to as Solent City for many things and have a new Solent TV station just beginning, testing on freeview now covering three major city areas, Winchester, Southampton, Portsmouth and also the IOW. Perhaps we could have a single Solent code, working better than our 023 mess and Im sure we could include Bournemouth

Thanks

Local numbers are always appreciated.

If I were to have a 01329 number then you would recognise it as local (Fareham, Titchfeld, Stubbington, Whickham, Portchester). It all helps with geographical recognition and aids remembering numbers.

You would quickly recognise the '023 92' part of a phone number and know it to be local. The next 6 digits are far less to remember.

Just for a bit of trivia, would anyone know who had the number 01 234 5678 before London started to change their numbers?

Thanks

Just for a bit of trivia, would anyone know who had the number 01 234 5678 before London started to change their numbers?
      I don't think this number was ever issued as 234 would have been mapped to the first three letters of the exchange name eg. 233 ADDiscombe & 235 BELgravia.

I can't think of a London exchange name beginning with [ABC]+[DEF]+[GHI] but anagrams were never my strong point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast