Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...?

This is a discussion on How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; According to online account my Sky Talk / Line is now activated - how can i check? cos it always ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...?

According to online account my Sky Talk / Line is now activated - how can i check? cos it always said 20th but we got letter saying 21st for both and im still online with o2, iam wondering if the online thing in Track Your Order just automatically states "we activated you line" once the set date has passed>?

how can I tell?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      nobroadband is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southminster
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Re: How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...?

Dial 150 & if you have a Sky phone line you will get through to Sky .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobroadband View Post
      Dial 150 & if you have a Sky phone line you will get through to Sky .

thanks

worked a charm... it is indeed SKY on my line... and o2 LLu broadband, just goes to show that you can still be online with old ISP even when your phone line is switched to SKY, the advisors on their help & support forum seem to think its impossible!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't want to start the discussion on Sky's SVBN versus Sky rental on a BT line again, but if you were on the Full Sky network using the SVBN you would not be able to get O2 broadband on it. It is just not possible, you are still on a BT compatible line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't want to start the discussion on Sky's SVBN versus Sky rental on a BT line again, but if you were on the Full Sky network using the SVBN you would not be able to get O2 broadband on it. It is just not possible, you are still on a BT compatible line.
      Hi Tom,

all evidence to the contrary though isnt it..?!
      so how can one tell if they are on SVBN or not? surely there is a way?

I just cant fathom how my exchange cant/wont have SVBN when it was fully unbundled just a few months ago, SKY arent gunna unbundle an exchange with OLD hardware are they?

- Ive spoke to many people (one on this forum) who has been switched to SKY Phone while still receiving their broadband from old ISP - im not saying you can go out and GET broadband from another supplier once switched too SKY but its certainly isnt true what they all say over on their Help & Support Forums that its impossible to be with your old ISP once your line has switched over and its 'rare' that you need a mac code, yet TONS of users are complaining on there cos they were never told to ask for mac code when Track Order and letters have asked them to input one and advisors say things like "you can get one, but you wont need it"

all the evidence ive seen seems to point to the fact that if your on a BT Controlled phone line when moving to SKY then the broadband will require a MAC to be shifted, in this scenario you can/will stay online with your old provider until your broadband is switched, even if your phone line is switched first or not - but if your with a fully unbundled provider like Talk Talk or Virgin Cable etc etc then you will not require a mac to move over and thats when your old broadband will never be online same time as phone as they are both moved over at same time as your terminating one service completely and moving over to another, there is no MAC system for this scenario, although ofcom are working on one (also to prevent isp slamming).

my neighbours did not require a MAC code to move from Talk Talk - yet me and someone else with BT phone lines did, this further strengthens what I say.

so, until I can find out if Iam on SVBN or not then Iam not entirely convinced by the whole "svbn means you dont need mac code etc" & "you cant get old broadband provider once phone is switched" issue

I even have a letter from SKY which states my broadband would be switched BEFORE phone line if i entered MAC at same time as order or AFTER phone if I didnt...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is no way to check that I know of until your broadband goes live. Immediately it does, do a tracert to bbc.co.uk and post your result. That is the only way to tell for sure.

I am pretty sure that when a line goes Full LLU. ie, SVBN there is no way another broadband provider can have access to it. It is not part of the BT network so is not compatible with any other provider.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is no way to check that I know of until your broadband goes live. Immediately it does, do a tracert to bbc.co.uk and post your result. That is the only way to tell for sure.
      I am pretty sure that when a line goes Full LLU. ie, SVBN there is no way another broadband provider can have access to it. It is not part of the BT network so is not compatible with any other provider.
      that is true once its switched...but I reckon up until the switch you can have the phone on SKY's LLu and your broadband still with old provider, when the day of the broadband switch comes your old provider is de-activated and your xDSL is un-hooked and moved onto SKY Broadband. phone & broadband are two separate protocols and so can be supplied as such even if you can get them from different systems until they are both put together.

we'll see anyway.. i think the broadband is activated tomorrow so will soon see when I tracert, if iam NOT on SVBN then the next question would be..how or why do SKY unbundle new exchanges with old hardware? (I would imagine even with old hardware one would still not require a MAC if you were moving to SKY from TALK TALK) this would also mean that SKY know which of their new customers are on which system and send different letters, rather than one letter for "all" because someone moving onto SVBN would not receive a letter saying your broadband could be moved before or after your phone line depending on when you entered the MAC code, while not impossible it does seem a lot to determine a new user as SVBN, EasyNet or Connect and send out the corresponding letter.

Thanks

what will the tracert reveal to show it as SVBN..?

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      that is true once its switched...but I reckon up until the switch you can have the phone on SKY's <abbr title="Local loop unbundling">LLu</abbr> and your broadband still with old provider, when the day of the broadband switch comes your old provider is de-activated and your xDSL is un-hooked and moved onto SKY Broadband. phone & broadband are two separate protocols and so can be supplied as such even if you can get them from different systems until they are both put together.
      I'm afraid you can't, BT Wholesale don't offer Providers that facility. You can have local loop unbundled ADSL, with the voice service using BT Wholesale's equipment (used to be called Shared Metal Path Facility), or fully unbundled (Full Metal Path Facility). When the voice service is unbundled, you'd lose any existing ADSL service as your line is physically disconnected from the previous provider's dslam/msan.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Dial 17070 and if you get a test message you have a BT line rental.

Then chose option 1 for ring back and it should tell you your number.

I don't know what Sky would give you when using 17070.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      I'm afraid you can't, BT Wholesale don't offer Providers that facility. You can have local loop unbundled ADSL, with the voice service using BT Wholesale's equipment (used to be called Shared Metal Path Facility), or fully unbundled (Full Metal Path Facility). When the voice service is unbundled, you'd lose any existing ADSL service as your line is physically disconnected from the previous provider's dslam/msan.
      That is what I have but you can't now have it with Sky as they changed T&C last year so you have to have phone and broadband.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast