Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree3Likes

How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...?

This is a discussion on How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I do not think that you are on SVBN . I have a similar setup and am not on SVBN ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...?

I do not think that you are on SVBN. I have a similar setup and am not on SVBN, as confirmed by someone at Sky.

I have had no issues directly caused by this arrangement and have been happy with things.

Seriously please don't worry about it any more.

As for Sky preventing people from using the cheap rate call providers, these typically will only affect those calling some foreign countries. Should I wish to call the USA, for example, it is free. You can't get much cheaper than that.

There is a really useful alternative to using the land line when calling other countries: Skype.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi scubbie, again, like I told IWasNotTheEnemy - Iam NOT worrying about it lol..., I couldnt care less about my phone line - Iam merely trying to find out the truth of how the system works so the correct advice can be given as its not on SKY H&S by Sky Knowledge Advisors and other members... it seems SKY have changed the system yet advisors & members still preach that you dont need a mac code to move onto SVBN when you currently have BT phone and some other ISP (when you do need a mac) and some are saying that you will not get your old BB provider until day of broadband switch IF your phone line gets switched first...again not true as me and others have had our old ISPs after phone line has been switched ...on SVBN enabled exchange.

TOM (Isitime) verified that my broadband is on SVBN - its one or the other, my phone cant be on BT or some silly "HYBRID" setup - SKY said they activated my phone line on Monday, I still had o2 Llu for 36 hours after that until my SKY BB went live.

my broadband is on SVBN,,, so why would my phone not be?

nobody seems to be able to answer this and just keeps rubbing it off with "dont worry about it" ...lol

i TOTALLY understand that you can not get any other provider once you have switched...thats not what im saying.. what im saying is you can still get your old BB provider until your SKY broadband unlimited is switched over even when your SKY Phone Line gets activated first...SVBN or NOT WHEN YOU USE THE MAC SYSTEM..which is always when you currently have a BT controlled phone line and other ISP over it - if you are with a fully unbundled provider like Talk Talk for both phone & BB then you do not need a mac code to switch as its void from that system..you terminate one (TT Phone & BB) and start the other (SKY phone & BB)..and if SKY dont activate the broadband same day as your phone switch day then you WILL experience internet down time until they do so.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Bakepres is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I can't believe people make an issue out of these trivial things. If you aren't having a problem or worrying about it, then why make such a fuss?
      Scubbie likes this.

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bakepres View Post
      I can't believe people make an issue out of these trivial things. If you aren't having a problem or worrying about it, then why make such a fuss?
      I made a fuss because I get told conflicting information and I like to know the ins and outs of it so when I come to advise someone else in same predicament I can advise correctly rather than give out incorrect advice

do anymore 'clique' members want to have a go at me for asking about how things work in a 'tech' section of the forum? its all I have gotten on here since I joined.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Perhaps I should consider closing the thread then as you have been provided the answers, but you choose to ignore them.

As for any 'clique' in the membership, there is no such thing. Even if there was, I tend to ignore cliques completely. If someone wishes to behave like a child, then I will treat them as such.
      NewsreadeR and sparky678911 like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thread closed, had enough.

do anymore 'clique' members want to have a go at me for asking about how things work in a 'tech' section of the forum?
      This thread is in the Sky Talk section, not the 'tech' section.

You are trying to disguise your questions as genuine interest, yet you do not listen, nor do you respect other's opinons.

If people think there is a 'clique' in the membership, then feel free to PM myself so that I can delete your account.

We would rather have helpful posts, then, I am trying to prove you wrong ones, that benefit absolutely 'noone'
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234