Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...?

This is a discussion on How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; just trying to find out why my exchange would be unbundled with easynet and svbn ? I don't think it ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: How do I know my line is SKY and not BT...?

just trying to find out why my exchange would be unbundled with easynet and svbn?
      I don't think it is anything to worry about. As I have said before, it may simply be Sky's way of getting round the problems of moving to LLU with a MAC. There are others on the forum, in a similar situation to you, who are reporting that the phone has been enabled before the broadband. As soon as your broadband is enabled you will probably find your move fully to the new equipment.

It is possible I suppose that they have supply problems for the new equipment and are being forced to use old equipment to tide them over.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      just trying to find out why my exchange would be unbundled with easynet and svbn?
      When you get your ADSL connection, perform a 'tracert'. This will show whether you are on Sky's or EasyNet's LLU Equipment. There are many members on either out there and none have any issues that makes one worse that the other.

Since each uses a different set of equipment, with different chipsets, some routers may work at a slightly faster connection speed on one, than the other. Exdee posted a thread on this issue:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...est-speed.html

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you were on Full Metal Path Scubbie you would get Zoe, who incidentally seems to have a trans-Atlantic accent.
      I've been aware for a long time that I wasn't on SVBN. If I recall correctly I think i did post some comments about it at the time. As it hasn't caused me any issues I haven't gone about trying to see if I can get it altered.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I think the main difference is that if you are on the older Easynet DSLAMs you will not be able to get Sky Fibre until the exchange is upgraded with ISAMs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I think the main difference is that if you are on the older Easynet DSLAMs you will not be able to get Sky Fibre until the exchange is upgraded with ISAMs.

Don't say things like that, I won't be able to sleep until the end of this year now.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Sorry Scubbie, but it is. The old DSLAMs are not compatible with Fibre, that is one of the reasons they are being replaced.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Sorry Scubbie, but it is. The old DSLAMs are not compatible with Fibre, that is one of the reasons they are being replaced.
      Just remembered, I'm on Sky's old kit anyway

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You could also try prefixing a dialed number with 1280 and see if it will let you route through BT.

It could be they have just CPSed you through Sky phone system and not fully taken over the whole service.

Is your exchange 21CN WBC?

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

1280 does nothing
      17070 is "this circuit is defined as *telephone number* - BT line test facility's"
      150 is SKY
      my exchange is WBC enabled but not 21CN (Blaydon)

EDIT: oops I see you said pre-fix a number with 1280...please ellaborate on this procedure, i dunno what you mean

128017070 gets me through to 17070
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

1280 then any other number.

1280 local take away

But it looks like it will just go the same way even on Sky.

People who pay line rental to Sky are no longer BT customers, so can't hop back onto BT to use BT for those calls that are much cheaper on BT than on Sky. Sky could also block access to other cheap calls providers such as 18185, so you are stuck with Sky for all calls and therefore have to pay the higher cost of non-inclusive calls than you could get elsewhere.

Many people didn't like the idea of paying Sky for line rental and wanted to remain with BT for line rental and just CPS their calls to Sky Talk, therefore allowing them to automatically use Sky for the inclusive calls and then hop back onto BT for the calls BT are much cheaper than Sky are for and also use 18185 for other calls.

However Sky now are moving those who are CPS users onto a different set-up (WSC). Line rental is still paid to BT however you will no longer be able to hop back onto BT for the cheaper calls - Sky are getting greedy there - though was only to be expected - first they increase by a huge sum the cost of calling the non-inclusive numbers and then lock you in to paying the higher prices for these calls. Could they really sustain a system where people only use them for the inclusive calls - especially if only going for the 'free' evening and weekend inclusive calls package? When you dial the 1280 prefix to hop back onto BT for the cheaper calls it is ignored and Sky will charge you for the call at their rates which are higher than BT.

What people are starting to do is dump Sky for the Sky talk package and either jump back to BT on their evening and weekend calls offer or many are joining Primus Saver 2 and adding on Penny Mobile (call UK mobiles for 20p for up to 20 minutes) - evening and weekend calls inclusive (each call can last 90 mins, hang-up and redial if you don't want to attract a fee). Primus have said they do not plan to switch away from being a CPS provider (though they do offer line rental too - don't go for this) and you can continue to use 1280 and 18185 if you so wish.

digitalspy.co.uk

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

all still same

on SVBN network and
      17070 = BT Line Test
      150 = SKY

I have Line Rental and Sky Talk through SKY - they activated my line 4 days ago
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast