Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Commtel Phone Guard

This is a discussion on Commtel Phone Guard within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Guys, I have skytalk and broadband, I would like to stop outgoing calls to mobiles and premium numbers, I ...

psbresner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glantawe
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Commtel Phone Guard

Hi Guys,

I have skytalk and broadband, I would like to stop outgoing calls to mobiles and premium numbers, I know that sky won't do this.

Does anyone know where I can get a Commtel Phone Guard? Or something similar.

Thanks

Paul

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Commtel Phone Guard

I've just had a quick look around on various sites, including eBay and Amazon, and I couldn't find somewhere with one showing in stock. I have even looked on the Commtel website and it doesn't seem to show it there anymore. They do have a premium rate number to call, you could try it to see if they can help, but that kind of defeats the object.

Perhaps someone else knows a local place or a local newspaper offering one for free?

A slightly different tack, but there is a feature that will allow you to limit the total cost of your monthly calls if you can't get the Phone Guard working.

Log in to your 'My Sky' page on the Sky website, navigate through to view your current bill, then scroll down to see just under the Sky Talk section and click the link entitled 'Call charge alerts'.

The minimum that it can be set to is 20 per month.

Please see the following links:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-t...rd-fitted.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I've just had a quick look around on various sites, including eBay and Amazon, and I couldn't find somewhere with one showing in stock. I have even looked on the Commtel website and it doesn't seem to show it there anymore. They do have a premium rate number to call, you could try it to see if they can help, but that kind of defeats the object.

Perhaps someone else knows a local place or a local newspaper offering one for free?

A slightly different tack, but there is a feature that will allow you to limit the total cost of your monthly calls if you can't get the Phone Guard working.

Log in to your 'My Sky' page on the Sky website, navigate through to view your current bill, then scroll down to see just under the Sky Talk section and click the link entitled 'Call charge alerts'.

The minimum that it can be set to is 20 per month.

Please see the following links:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-t...rd-fitted.html
      Thank you very much for this, I wasn't aware you could setup an alert.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Don't worry, the alert feature is something that Sky added sometime last year.

I'm not sure how well it works, but certainly it would give an indication if someone is spending lots of money on the phone.

Whilst I think about it, are you aware that you can look at the next bill to see what telephone charges are being added to your bill? This is about 24 hours behind real-time, but would also help if you have an issue.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Don't worry, the alert feature is something that Sky added sometime last year.

I'm not sure how well it works, but certainly it would give an indication if someone is spending lots of money on the phone.

Whilst I think about it, are you aware that you can look at the next bill to see what telephone charges are being added to your bill? This is about 24 hours behind real-time, but would also help if you have an issue.
      Oh thats great,

Thank you once more.

Paul

mrboozy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi. I'm a new member and had sky for 3 months. I have purchased a commtel phone guard because my friend has one and works fine, allowing broadband and blocking calls. I have tried to use it on my line and it wont allow the broadband to pass through it. Any ideas??

Thanks

Having had a brief look around, the current one appears to be alright for ADSL Broadband, although I am not so sure about the claim to prevent 'PC Hijacking' unless it actually monitors your broadband signal.

Looking at various posts in this and other forums, it would appear that you need to connect it to the Master Telephone Socket and then plug a microfilter into it. You will also need to ensure that any extensions are rewired so that they also go through this product, not through the back of the faceplate.

If after checking the above it still fails to work, could you post a picture of your set up so that someone who is more familiar with the device can see what is going on better please?

NB: Personally I would prefer to use a filtered faceplate. This would mean that the phone guard would only need to filter the telephone calls.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If this is the device you have - Commtel Internet and Phone Guard I don't think it is meant to be used with Broadband, only dial up. It works by stopping the dial up number you call to connect to the internet being redirected to another number. As broadband does not dial up a number it is useless in this respect and probably will stop the broadband connection. The only way it could be used with broadband would be to create a dedicated socket for the broadband and use the device over the existing phone socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If that is the case Tom, then a filtered faceplate might perhaps offer the best solution. The filtered socket would be suitable for the router to connect to and the phone guard will plug into the 'normal' phone socket.

Again an issue will exist for any extensions wired to the back of the faceplate though. These will need to be routed through the phone guard or have their own phone guards fitted.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There may be a more up to date model which works with Broadband, but to be honest I can't see it doing any good as far as an ADSL connection is concerned. I don't think it would fit a filtered faceplate as it locks over the whole socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.