Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Adding Sky Talk when already on Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Adding Sky Talk when already on Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme It will do if you have Sky Broadband, this is what mine says- ......and I am ...

BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Re: Adding Sky Talk when already on Sky Broadband Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It will do if you have Sky Broadband, this is what mine says-

......and I am already on Sky phone rental
      I

Someone at sky needs to rewrite their website!

I can't get sky talk just yet as I need to complete my 12 month BT contract, ends in 10 days time but BT will put me on another rolling 12 months if I don't tell them, so I need to ensure things go smoothly

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you move your line rental over to Sky they will move you to SVBN if there is a spare port in the exchange. If there is no spare port then you will remain on the Easynet DSLAM till Sky upgrade the capacity at the exchange.

So basically you can switch over and start saving money.

Exchange:
      Thanks

From what Sky have told me, I will stay on the existing equipment at the exchange.

So does that mean that my phone line stays as is at the exchange but the only difference I will pay my line rental to Sky? Also I take it that my broadband price will fall to 7.50 from 12.50 irrespective of whether I remain on the easynet or not?

How long does it take for sky to make the change, or in my case, take over the line rental?

I have asked Sky if SVBN will be introduced and when to my exchange if it is not already there!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

From what Sky have told me, I will stay on the existing equipment at the exchange.
      You will, until the exchange is updated.

It does not take any time at all, as you are staying on the same equipment it is purely an admin change. ie, Sky will bill you instead of BT. The admin change usually takes up to 14 days. When you eventually change to SVBN, as I did a few weeks ago, there will be a few minutes downtime when they are moving your connection from one rack to another.

I doubt if Sky will tell you when the exchange is being upgraded, they seem to keep these details secret.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BroadbandKing View Post

So does that mean that my phone line stays as is at the exchange but the only difference I will pay my line rental to Sky?
      Read the post above yours.

Also I take it that my broadband price will fall to 7.50 from 12.50 irrespective of whether I remain on the easynet or not?
      The variable factor here is Sky Talk. It doesn't matter what kit you are on. If you have Sky Talk you save 5 bucks.

How long does it take for sky to make the change, or in my case, take over the line rental?
      10-14 days.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky have told me that the svbn is full at the moment at my exchange and the quota is at full capacity and I would have to wait until they had lines available.

So by remaining on the easynet LLU equipment for my broadband, things would remain as they are. My phone line rental, as stated above, would just "move" from BT to Sky, I would stay on the same phone equipment but just pay Sky instead of BT.

Sky have no idea when spare lines will become available but it looks like Sky are maintaining both their svbn and easynet equipment at the same time at my exchange.

So if I take out sky line rental, I take it that I will be able to be moved on to their Sky Talk Unlimited even though I won't be on their fully bundled svbn? And then one day I will find myself on the svbn, when that will be, who knows?!?!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Whether you are on Easynet's equipment or Sky's I don't think that you should be worried about your connection. Both will offer you the ability to connect to Sky's servers on an ADSL2+ connection.

If they decided to take you off the Easynet equipment and not place you on Sky's SVBN, then your connection speed would drop as you would end up with a Sky BB Connect service. If this were to happen, then I cannot emphasise enough that a letter would need to be sent to the Executive team as this would be out of order IMHO.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Would there be any benefits not being on the svbn as far as the phone line is concerned? I read somewhere that sky wrote letters to everyone who had their phone/broadband with them that they could opt out of the move to the fully bundled service.
      I guess that people who opted out and customers such as myself who won't intially be put on the svbn will find it easier to move suppliers in the future as they will still have a "BT" connected line? Is that correct?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Although I'm on both Sky Talk & BB Unlimited, I'm not on SVBN. I can't say that I've had any problems as a result, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Although I'm on both Sky Talk & BB Unlimited, I'm not on SVBN. I can't say that I've had any problems as a result, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.
      Are you on the easynet (conexant) equipment?

If you are you would get a better speed using a conexant based router rather than the broadcom routers.

I have the sky sagem 2304n, netgear dgnd3700, billion 7402nx so I am covered whatever sky put me on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast