Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Crackling Line Again

This is a discussion on Crackling Line Again within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I need some help guys, a few weeks back, my broadband was playing up like hell. I had intermittent connection, ...

evokazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Crackling Line Again

I need some help guys, a few weeks back, my broadband was playing up like hell. I had intermittent connection, it was dropping all the time. I also observed that during voice calls on my phone (Sky Talk) there was a horrible crackling wave noise, it seemed to come in waves, if that makes sense, silent, then a small crackle that gradually got worse and louder, then it goes away, a few seconds later it starts again. I called Sky and they sent an Openreach guy out, he checked the exchange, all was well, he reset the servers he said. He then visited my home, and checked the green box on the street, he said there was no fault. He wired up something to my phone to monitor, and the crackle was there. He said it must be my internal extensions, but when I told him I had none, and was connected directly to test socket, he was stumped.

He unplugged my router, and the crackle went away. He said he wont put it down as a charged visit, but I need a new router. I got a new one, and all was perfect for about 3 weeks.

The noise on the line has come back worse than ever last week. So Sky sent me another router, I plugged it in, with all new cables, microfilters etc, and the noise is still in the line. I re-fitted my ADSL Nation master faceplate (The BT guy told me too as he said they are better than ISP provided filters) and the noise is still there on the line!! Strangely though, my internet is holding up fine this time. I went on eBay and bought another (3rd one now) router, a DLink 2640s, and the noise went for about a day, and now it is back again?????

Its clearly NOT the router, or the cables (all cables have been switched out about 3 times with new ones) so what can it be? My broadband is fine - for now - but I am confident it will start playing up again soon - hope not. But I obviously need to ring Sky Talk back, but where do I go from there?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Crackling Line Again

Firstly are you able to get the crackling every time that you call? If this is the case, then just try it without the router connected. If it still makes a noise, then a call to Sky may be in order.

To test your line, use a corded telephone and dial '1'. I would also just ask if you are able to test with a different corded telephone.

A line fault of this description is normally associated with frequent disconnections on the ADSL BB. Is this your case? If you are unsure, could you post your full router stats, including the WAN, WLAN & LAN up times please?

If the person at the other end of the phone claims that it is a faulty router again, then disconnect the router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey Scubbie, thanks for the reply.

Firstly here are the stats you mentioned, the broadband is working fine, but last time I had a noise on the line, the broadband was all over the place, I am thinking any time now the broadband will start acting up again, but for now its fine.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1640856 2084038 0 6849 16750 31:21:25
      LAN 13786743 12325289 0 2441 4012 95:36:50
      WLAN 2194035 1158527 0 19025 1185 31:21:16
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7008 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.5db 26.2db
      Noise Margin 8.0db 11.0db

I removed the router, and the crackling noise goes away. I connect the router again, and it comes back, so that would tell one that its the router or the cables conflicting right? Well I am not so sure, as I have tried 3 sets of new cables, 3 variations of microfilters, and 3 routers, all with the same results! lol. Away from the voice call crackle and broadband, could my actual house phone be the cause? Long shot, but we have a Panasonic cordless phone (2 handsets) could these cause interference? I suppose I will only know if I can find a corded phone to borrow off someone, another long shot as nobody uses them anymore lol.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Interesting stats, but probably misleading if you were unplugging it previously.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1640856 2084038 0 6849 16750 31:21:25
      LAN 13786743 12325289 0 2441 4012 95:36:50
      WLAN 2194035 1158527 0 19025 1185 31:21:16
      The up times indicate that you disconnected the ADSL 31 hours before taking the figures. If you were having major problems, I wouldn't expect such a long up time showing.

Have you ever swapped the grey ADSL lead? This may well be the problem, since you have swapped everything else.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I suppose I will only know if I can find a corded phone to borrow off someone, another long shot as nobody uses them anymore lol.
      Everyone should have a corded phone for emergencies. I know it does not often happen, but if your power goes down and your mobile's battery is dead, what do you do in an emergency? They only cost a few pounds and are useful for doing things, like testing your line for noise.

You can get one for under 4 from Tesco -
      Tesco Value TH100 Slimline Gondola Telephone - Tesco.Direct
      Steele11 likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just bought one from Argos for 4.30 lol. Going to run some tests later, will update later.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok I am at my wits end here, its driving me mad!!

I purchased a corded phone as you guys suggested. I decided to start diagnostics from scratch. I removed everything from the master socket. I dont have any extensions in my home at all.

The BT engineer said he tested my ADSL Nation faceplate and it was fine, so I have left that in place, connected via test socket.

I plugged in the corded phone, the line was crystal clear. I tried 2 hours later, still crystal clear. I plugged in the ADSL cable with the router powered up, the crackling came back within 5 minutes, worse than ever. I removed the newly bought corded phone, and plugged in the corless phones, still crackling. I plugged the corded phone back in, and removed the ADSL cable, the crackling went away INSTANTLY. I plugged the ADSL Cable back in, and disconnected the SkyHD phone line, this made no difference at all. I again disconnected the ADSL cable, and all is perfect again, and was perfect for 3 hours. Sky have sent me yet another (the 4th) router today, so I have removed my DLINK and connected the Sagemcom with ALL the cables it came with, all brand new. After 5 minutes with the corded phone, the crackling has come back, still awful, and still meaning I can barely use my phone. The Broadband, as predicted has also started disconnecting intermittently again as well today.

I have just removed the ADSL Nation faceplate completely, and plugged a microfilter into the test socket, I tried doing this through the ADSL Nation faceplate, but it would not connect to broadband at all (maybe cos it was microfiltered 2 times???) I have the corded phone in the microfilter, and ADSL cable, after 5 minutes the crackling is back.

BT say the line is flawless, Sky say my broadband line is showing up spot on. The only thing I have managed to figure out into facts, is that when I disconnect my ADSL cable, my phone works again, when I connect it, the crackle comes back and my BB is intermittent!!! Totally lost what to do??

Tried All New Cables (no change)
      Tried 4 Routers (no change)
      With & Without ADSL Nation Faceplate (no change)
      Had Openreach Out (Engineer diagnosed as faulty router as line perfect)
      Had BB Line Tests and 24 Hour Monitoring By Sky (came back perfect)
      Tried Without ADSL (phone works perfectly)
      Tried With ADSL (crackly)
      Removed SkyHD Line (no change)
      Removed Dynamode 8 Hub Box (no change)
      Replaced Ethernet cables (no change)

Thanks

You seem to have covered everything except the power circuit. I assume you are plugging the router into the same power socket each time? Can you get hold of an electric power extension and plug the router into another socket. It may also help if you run the power through a surge protector. There's not anything else I can think of at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Could a plug cause this? and even knock off the internet? I will try another AC plug in another socket in a minute. My girlfriend just told me the internet has only disconnected twice since Openreach came, once when she started making a house phone call, another was a random time when someone used the phone 30 minutes earlier, so not sure if related, but internet has been ok it seems, just the phone.

My handsets are both Panasonic cordless phones (2 handsets 1 base combo) Could it be the line is perfect, but there is interference on the actual phones? I suppose it is plausable, although I did experience crackling on the corded (it wasnt anywhere as bad though)

Thanks

Loose connections in a power socket can cause all sorts of problems. If another socket cures the problem, then you should probably call in an electrician to check your installation.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast