Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Crackling Line Again

This is a discussion on Crackling Line Again within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Have you tried swapping the grey ADSL cable that connects the router to the microfilter? It may be possible, but ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Crackling Line Again

Have you tried swapping the grey ADSL cable that connects the router to the microfilter?

It may be possible, but unusual, for this to be faulty.

Another suggestion would be to plug another router in if you have one. It doesn't have to be a Sky one, just something that can sit on the line for a few moments.

As for double filtering, basically you would have filtered the ADSL signal from the normal telephone signal in the first microfilter. The 2nd filter would not have a signal to filter for the router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      evokazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Yep as mentioned in an earlier post, I have tried 4 routers! lol. I will replace the ADSL cable again, I have tried 2 of those to no avail, but I suppose I could have got to bad eggs, who knows. I have also replaced the AC with no changes.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Changed ADSL cable, plugged phone in different plug socket, changed AC Cable Plug. No change.

We have 4 wireless devices on the router, could that be the cause of the static on the line? Our handsets are wireless too (Cordless).

I have even repositioned the base.

What about ethernet cables? Or ethernet switch boxes (plugs into router to add 8 additional ports). Could ethernet cables cause phone statis/internet disconnects accross the board?

I unplugged my 8 port switch but still had static, totally lost what to do??

Thanks

I don't have enough Telecoms knowledge to be 100% sure of this, hopefully someone else can correct me, but it sounds like there is an external line problem which needs to be fixed.

It would appear that you have eliminated everything internally.

What I don't know is the specific nature of the problem.

With all the gathered evidence, I would say now is a good time to call Sky again. If the first level cannot help, ask to speak to someone in CST to help diagnose the true nature of the problem.

I would expect that a BTO Engineer visit will be required.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I had a BTO engineer but he blamed my router. What was worse, when he unplugged my router the noise went away, he did this 3 times with same results. Since sticking another router in the issue is back 2 weeks later. This morning I again removed my cordless phone, removed the broadband completely, and used the new corded phone and although the static isnt bad, its still there. It sounds like, someone shuffling inside the phone. But when the broadband is on it sounds like waves of stones being dropped into a metal pan.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You have tried everything else so try this, leave the filtered faceplate in place and plug a filter into the phone side. Now plug in your phone, leaving your router in the filtered faceplate socket, any difference? The phone will work with a double filter, the router wont.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Will try that right now and update, I did call Sky they are sending another dude out, but they are calling me in 2 days with a time and date.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Tried the above, no change. I also moved the router, as the Sky guy on the phone said its weird the phone line clears up when the router is powered off completely. He asked me to relocate it, as it may be something conflicting with it etc, but this also has not changed much. Very strange indeed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok today the static was horrible when we woke up, it was perfect opportunity to test things out further.

I was listening to the static on our cordless phones, so the first thing I did was unplug them completely, and plugged in the corded phone, there was no change at all.

I pressed the power button on the back of the router to turn it off, the static reduced, but only ever so slightly, there was still a constant crackle, shuffle, hiss. I then removed the ADSL cable, nothing changed.

The guy who posted above suggested an extra filter for the phone, I removed this filter, and plugged directly into the filtered faceplate, no change again.

I noted my router is next to our tall boy speaker from our home cinema, although the router is placed on the floor (I moved it yesterday to see if it made any change, it didnt). It was under the left speaker, So I unplugged the home cinema, No change, the speakers are shielded anyways.

Another observation is now, the past 2 days, when the phone is being used, the internet disconnects. When the phone call is ended, the internet comes back on.

Thanks

When your line is crackling like this, you really ought to call Sky again and speak to someone and see if they can hear the noise at the same time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast