Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phone line works but no ringin with incoming calls

This is a discussion on Phone line works but no ringin with incoming calls within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all Just had several calls with SkyTalk CS and wondered if anyone else has had this problem and at ...

yorkie_pudd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Intake, Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: SKy MAX (was forced adsl2+ on my netgear but god knows what i'm on now)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Phone line works but no ringin with incoming calls

Hi all

Just had several calls with SkyTalk CS and wondered if anyone else has had this problem and at least give the heads-up for anyone else who may experience it (found another user on Sky help forum who has it).

Had no phone calls since Friday (6/5/11)

Friend phones my wifes mobile yesterday saying she can't get through to the landline - it rings once then just cuts off.

I try this from my mobile and sure enough, that's what happens, 1 ring then cut off, but landline shows no indication of an incoming call (no sound, no record on caller ID). However, Skys 1471 has registered that there has been a call.

All outgoing calls work (dial tone present). Only 1 socket in the house, so I disconnect everything including the filtered faceplate and dial in again, same result, 1 ring then cuts off. Different handset plugged into test socket, same result.

So, ring CS team last night and spoke to an agent ( who appeared to be based outside of this continent) and his main concern was warning me that as the line tested ok I would be charged for an engineer visit if it was an internal wiring fault (despite me assuring him several times that the only wiring was from the exchage into my property).

Called again this morning and spoke to an agent (who I would hazard a guess at being somewhere in the UK at least) and he came up with the idea that he would ring my landline and I would answer it after 10 seconds (even though it wouldn't ring) and hey-presto, he was there to talk to me, so the line obviously works.

So, now I have been escalated to the Customer Solutions Team ?? who apparently will contact me in the next couple of days, or so.

I will let you know how I get on, and if anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know.

Adrian

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Phone line works but no ringin with incoming calls

Had this one a while back.

My problem was that the voice card in the exchange was faulty.

When BT did their automated testing it was showing as "no fault" as all it did was check to see if there was a voltage coming from the circuit, which there was as it was faulty not dead.

I would suspect that when Openreach comes round they will check your master socket then go off to the exchange and have a proper look at the kit there.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!