Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ex-Directory Repeated Number Release

This is a discussion on Ex-Directory Repeated Number Release within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; OK, firstly, hallo! Long story here which I'll try to shorten. A while back Sky accidentally switched my home phone ...

Clementi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Ex-Directory Repeated Number Release

OK, firstly, hallo!

Long story here which I'll try to shorten. A while back Sky accidentally switched my home phone number from ex-directory to a phone book/online listing. I didn't realize this had happened until I started receiving calls from someone who should not have had my number. I complained to Sky, they weren't really sure how it had happened but agreed it had and changed my phone number, also gave me 50 credit and 6 months half price rental.

Fine. I said no problem, don't do it again.

Yesterday I received a letter from the Sky Executive Team stating that, after my number changed on 28th March, they had 'accidentally'/due to an error in their system, done exactly the same thing again and my name, address and number had appeared on BT. com and, presumably, every other site which mirrors BT.com.

THIS time they credited me 33.37 (which is meant to be three months free line rental). I rang and said "No, I will not accept this paltry amount, I want to discuss this further with you" - "They said, forget it, be glad you have the 33.37, we'll change your number again".

I haven't yet let them re-change my number for a couple of reasons ( a) because I rely on my b/b and it takes a while for the b/b to migrate over once they've changed the number and I've already done this once, only a month ago, the last time they 'accidentally' freed up my number and ( b) because I can't see the point, they'll no doubt do the same thing again in a day, a month, or at some point soon! Point being, the damage has now been done - TWICE!

Problem is, for reasons I won't bore you all with, I have a very specific need to ensure my number IS ex-directory and the fact that they have now TWICE released my full name, address and phone number, has placed me in a very vulnerable position and a potentially very serious situation. There seems to be no way of (a ) refusing to accept this derisory sum (it's not about the money) as they credited it to my account without asking if I would accept it and ( b) I am seriously considering taking this situation into litigation as I really can't afford (not financially afford, I mean, personally afford) to have this happen again.

I am SO furious but it seems impossible to complain because you just get endless emails from the Sky Talk Nuisance Call Team who tell you to register with the TPS (I already am and always have been) and to be ex-directory (Ohhh, how I am trying to be!)

Finally to say that the situation is serious enough for me to now have to genuinely consider moving home subsequent to the release (yet again) of my home address. I am on the redacted electoral list so that my address is not (easily) publicly available, I have a permanent withhold on my number for ALL outgoing calls - I've done everything humanly possible to avoid my address and/or number being freely available and, in fact, the last time Sky did this, I even explained to them how serious the situation was and how imperative it was that my number and address remained private and NOT on any directory listings.

Thanks for any help guys.
      Last edited by Clementi; 04-05-11 at 10:07 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Ex-Directory Repeated Number Release

Would it not be worth getting them to terminate the phone contract and go back to BT, you could still keep the BB with Sky if you wished.

Explain to them that it is totally unacceptable the situation they have put you in twice now, that should be grounds to leave the contract without penalty.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Would it not be worth getting them to terminate the phone contract and go back to BT, you could still keep the BB with Sky if you wished.

Explain to them that it is totally unacceptable the situation they have put you in twice now, that should be grounds to leave the contract without penalty.
      Yes, I could do that, but to be honest, it all takes an age to switch over - even if I DID that, it would take a while for BT to re-connect all the services and, this problem aside, my other services (b/b and TV etc) are great with Sky. And surely the b/b would have to go to BT too since it's via the phone line? Or could that remain with sky?

I suppose I'm just so angry at the moment (and scared frankly as I REALLY did not want my address available) that I can't think straight which is why I posted for opinions but you may be right, it may be that that's my only option.

Thank you.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clementi View Post
      Yes, I could do that, but to be honest, it all takes an age to switch over - even if I DID that, it would take a while for BT to re-connect all the services and, this problem aside, my other services (b/b and TV etc) are great with Sky. And surely the b/b would have to go to BT too since it's via the phone line? Or could that remain with sky?
      No, you can have BT line rental and Sky broadband. You also have the option of still having the Sky Talk call package on a BT line to keep the broadband discount - but would have to pay BT for voicemail and caller ID if you want those services.

Based on what you have posted, I would be pressing Sky to pay the costs for you to go back to BT.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      No, you can have BT line rental and Sky broadband. You also have the option of still having the Sky Talk call package on a BT line to keep the broadband discount - but would have to pay BT for voicemail and caller ID if you want those services.

Based on what you have posted, I would be pressing Sky to pay the costs for you to go back to BT.
      Thanks, yes, I think I probably will. I've just spoken to OFCOM and the Info Commissioner's Office who confirm that the Data Protection Act has been breached, quite apart from my own personal problems regarding having these details in the public domain, and have suggested a couple of courses of action.

Surprizingly to me, they took it very seriously and were actually quite helpful, both OFCOM and the Information Commissioner's Office.

Thank you and thanks especially for the information about keeping the b/b etc with Sky if that ends up being my choice.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I would also phone the ombudsman to see what they can suggest

Ombudsman Services: Communications

They offer good advice and may be able to kick Sky up the backside for their lack of care for letting this happen twice.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      I would also phone the ombudsman to see what they can suggest

Ombudsman Services: Communications

They offer good advice and may be able to kick Sky up the backside for their lack of care for letting this happen twice.
      Oh right, I haven't even heard of them, thank you so much for this link.