Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phone line dead and broadband also

This is a discussion on Phone line dead and broadband also within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I've only been with sky less than 2 months and unfortunately today my phone line has stopped working. When ...

harrylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Phone line dead and broadband also

Hi

I've only been with sky less than 2 months and unfortunately today my phone line has stopped working. When I pick up the phone there is no dial tone and therefore I can't ring out. This has obviously affected my sky broadband as well and I can't get online. I have tried unplugging everything and testing in the master socket and the result is the same.

I called sky this morning and a lady did a test on my line, which was a really quick test less than a minute, and said that there is a fault in the house or just outside the house. Now this seems very strange as everything was working fine last night and the house is only about 6 years old so it's not like the house has old wiring. She stated that she would have to escalate this and that if an engineer had to come out then I would be charged some ridiculous amount.

Reading around the forums it seems like this is a random problem that happens to sky but I want to know how can I make sure that it is not a problem with something in the house (even though im so sure it isn't) as I do not want to pay some crazy charges. Are there any other tests or something else that can be done?

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Phone line dead and broadband also

Take a little walk outside.

A couple of years back some idiot decided to cut through the trunk cable which feeds my home and nine others.

You want to see if there is anything interfering with the cable between your home and the green street box. It might be that a tree has fallen on the line & been removed, or that someone else has thought that they are the first to cut a telephone line.

I would also trace the cable back towards your home and see if any of your neighbours who share the same trunk cable are affected as well.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

harrylad (23-04-11)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Neighbours phones are working fine. Can't see any damage anywhere. Seems even more unlikely that it is a problem with my line and more likely something sky have done.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harrylad View Post
      Reading around the forums it seems like this is a random problem that happens to sky but I want to know how can I make sure that it is not a problem with something in the house (even though im so sure it isn't) as I do not want to pay some crazy charges. Are there any other tests or something else that can be done?
      Since you are in a relatively new house you should have the new master socket with the detachable faceplate. Plug your phone into the test socket to make sure you get no dial tone.

If you get no dial tone in your test socket you will not be charged for the engineer visit.

I am assuming that since you are in a new built the main bt wire both inside and immediately outside your house is well concealed and not prone to damage from you or other household members.

If a ticket for your fault has been raised by sky, you will get a phone call from BT Openreach who will ask you to describe the fault and check your availability for the engineer visit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

harrylad (23-04-11)

Thanks

Yes I did check the master socket and there is no dial tone at all. Good to know that I won't get charged then.

Yes you are correct, the main BT wire is well concealed. Outside the house there is a plate that covers it and it is very secure.

I shall wait for the call then.

Thank you for that information as it has calmed my fears that I will have to pay out a huge amount.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The advisor is describing a fault at the 'Customer Engineer' point, in Openreach terms. It usually is an external fault, so you've nothing to worry about provided you tried the handset direct at the master socket, or preferably the test socket, as you've stated.

This doesn't need 'escalated', though. It needs logged to Openreach as a fault and they'll then fix it within 48 hours typically. Perhaps that's what the advisor meant when mentioning 'escalation', but if I were you, I'd call back and ensure this has been done properly.

Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It's not strictly true that if you get into your test socket and it doesn't work you 100% won't be charged. You'll still get charged for stuff that's your 'fault', like accidental damage or damp at the back of the master socket and etc.

Unlikely but just so you know.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birks View Post
      It's not strictly true that if you get into your test socket and it doesn't work you 100% won't be charged. You'll still get charged for stuff that's your 'fault', like accidental damage or damp at the back of the master socket and etc.

Unlikely but just so you know.
      I'm aware, but it's a rarity.

Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah I figured you would be the just so you know was for more for the OP/thread completeness and I was too lazy to quote.

spud_gun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birks View Post
      Yeah I figured you would be the just so you know was for more for the OP/thread completeness and I was too lazy to quote.
      Very rare, I've had damp in the back of the MS once in 18 months of doing BB and Talk tech