Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent phone problem

This is a discussion on Intermittent phone problem within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I'm on week 5 of having a flawless Sky line rental with talk unlimited and unlimited bb . Last ...

drt1710 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exchange name: Ammanford Exchange code: SWADW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Intermittent phone problem

Hi

I'm on week 5 of having a flawless Sky line rental with talk unlimited and unlimited bb.

Last week, my wife came home and said that she tried to ring the landline and it would not connect I picked up landline and there is no dial tone, clicked the receiver up and down a couple of times and dial tone appeared, then tried ringing landline and got through

Exact same again thing happened again today, but once I got dial tone, still could not ring from mobile to landline, would not connect I changed the corded handset, still would not work Leave it 10 mins, ok, going to have to ring Sky try ringing once more, it works Hmm strange.

Decide to ring Sky anyway, get them to check line make sure there's no gremlins, lovely lady says not probs with line or exchange, she rang me back there and then, and a couple of hours later to check it as well.

I hate intermittent faults, I know they can be notoriously difficult to pin down, and as the lady I spoke to had never heard of this happening before, I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on the matter.

I have filtered faceplate with corded phone and Sky Dlink router, then 2 extensions with corded phones. All internal wiring was replaced a couple of months ago, new cables and sockets and faceplate.

Cheers

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 17022 kbps 1153 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0db 12.1db
      Noise Margin 7.1db 8.6db
      Last edited by drt1710; 03-03-11 at 01:58 AM.

Pingtest: Line Quality A: Ping 48ms: Jitter 1ms: Server 50 mi
      Connection Speed: 5184/768: Attenuation: 31.5/52: Snr: 8/7.8

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Intermittent phone problem

As you say, intermittent faults are very difficult to pin down.

A good place to start would be to examine what you have installed at your home. Could a telephone, for example, have had a 'monitor' button pressed accidentally or not been replaced on the receiver in the correct manner?

Have you had any disconnections reported by your router? Sign in to it and look at the connection statistics.

If you have a corded telephone, dial '1' and listen carefully to see if you can hear any noise on the line, particularly if there is any wind outside.

Are there any trees with lovely branches draping near to you overhead telephone line between your home and the green BT box in the street?

These are just a few ideas, I'm sure others will have other suggestions.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Many thanks for your reply Scubbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As you say, intermittent faults are very difficult to pin down. Pain in the wotsits aint they?

A good place to start would be to examine what you have installed at your home. Could a telephone, for example, have had a 'monitor' button pressed accidentally nope or not been replaced on the receiver in the correct manner?Highly unlikely

Have you had any disconnections reported by your router? Sign in to it and look at the connection statistics.Nope, none

If you have a corded telephone, dial '1' and listen carefully to see if you can hear any noise on the line, particularly if there is any wind outside.no noise at all

Are there any trees with lovely branches draping near to you overhead telephone line between your home and the green BT box in the street? Not as far as I can see

These are just a few ideas, I'm sure others will have other suggestions.
      Hope so, could do with sorting this out, what worries me is if someone needs to ring home in an emergency or similar and can't get through

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks

Are there any trees with lovely branches draping near to you overhead telephone line between your home and the green BT box in the street? Not as far as I can see
      Could I suggest that you actually take a walk to the green cabinet and take a good look if you haven't already?

Anything draping near to the telephone line should be viewed with a little caution. whilst yesterday was lovely where I live, there was a little wind here, I have no idea what it was like where you are.

Think about it, your call wasn't diverted to the 1571 ansa phone system.

Could I suggest that you download and install Router Stats Lite?

Whilst you problem didn't materialise on the BB connection, RSL may pick up on changes to your line. It can run in the background on a PC and store the results in a file for analysing later with time & date stamps.

You mentioned in your first post that you have a filter plate in your master socket. Do you have any extensions coming from the telephone socket?

Also what is plugged into the telephone socket? (How many phones; Sky STB; Fax)

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could I suggest that you actually take a walk to the green cabinet and take a good look if you haven't already? Cable from my house goes accross road and then all Bt cables drop underground, no idea where cabinet is.

Anything draping near to the telephone line should be viewed with a little caution. whilst yesterday was lovely where I live, there was a little wind here, I have no idea what it was like where you are.

Think about it, your call wasn't diverted to the 1571 ansa phone system. Meaning? Surely if it was an internal problem the call would have gone straight to answer phone? 1571, the call just would not connect at all, as if no such number?

Could I suggest that you download and install Router Stats Lite?Already running, has been for months, no variation in snr at all, no drops yesterday

Whilst you problem didn't materialise on the BB connection, RSL may pick up on changes to your line. It can run in the background on a PC and store the results in a file for analysing later with time & date stamps.

You mentioned in your first post that you have a filter plate in your master socket. Do you have any extensions coming from the telephone socket? 2 extensions, new a couple of months ago

Also what is plugged into the telephone socket? (How many phones; Sky STB; Fax)
      Sky router & 1 corded phone in master, then 2 extensions with corded phones, no Sky Tv.

Thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drt1710 View Post
      [COLOR="Blue"]Sky router & 1 corded phone in master, then 2 extensions with corded phones, no Sky Tv.
      I am wondering if perhaps one of your phones or extensions are playing up.

Just for the purposes of identifying the cause, Could I suggest unplugging the exstensions? Leaving just one phone connected directly to the filtered faceplate and your router.

Also since the Noise Margin has not changed, then I would suspect that this is and internal problem, rather than something which Openreach would fix on behalf of Sky. I might be wrong, but all signs currently indicate that this is internal.

One other thing that could cause a similar issue to this is REN values. If all your phones are fairly modern, then this shouldn't be a problem. The old phones with a dial have a value of 1.5. Most modern phones have a value of 1. The maximum allowed on a BT (and Sky) network is 4. The REN value of any phone should be printed on the BABT label, normally underneath your phone.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Apparently there are nation wide issues with voicemail dunno about recording them but loop issue when trying to retrieve.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Apparently there are nation wide issues with voicemail dunno about recording them but loop issue when trying to retrieve.
      The OP's problem isn't so much about voicemail. It is about the line being disconnected.

In reading through the original post, I noticed that the voicemail didn't pick up the call, instead it 'wouldn't connect'. I don't know the specific cause, it would help to trace the problem though.

The missing dial tone is familiar from someone I used to know. He had 5 phones, an ansa phone & a fax machine. Being a bit thick, he ignored myself & a couple of others who told him that he had too many devices connected.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

fair point scubbie must admit i did skim what u wrote as im in uni bored and distracted appologies
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      fair point scubbie must admit i did skim what u wrote as im in uni bored and distracted appologies
      No problem, we all need to sleep occasionally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast