Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Intermittent phone problem

This is a discussion on Intermittent phone problem within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie I am wondering if perhaps one of your phones or extensions are playing up. I use ...

drt1710 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exchange name: Ammanford Exchange code: SWADW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent phone problem

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I am wondering if perhaps one of your phones or extensions are playing up. I use Bt Relate corded phones and brand new extensions, neither of which I think are to blame

Just for the purposes of identifying the cause, Could I suggest unplugging the exstensions? Leaving just one phone connected directly to the filtered faceplate and your router. For how long? This problem has only happened twice, each instance a week apart.

Also since the Noise Margin has not changed, then I would suspect that this is and internal problem, rather than something which Openreach would fix on behalf of Sky. I might be wrong, but all signs currently indicate that this is internal. Can you expain how you come to this conclusion please, I can't see it, does every phone/line fault cause a fluctuation in snr?

One other thing that could cause a similar issue to this is REN values. If all your phones are fairly modern, then this shouldn't be a problem. The old phones with a dial have a value of 1.5. Most modern phones have a value of 1. The maximum allowed on a BT (and Sky) network is 4. The REN value of any phone should be printed on the BABT label, normally underneath your phone.3 corded phones and one router
      I'm as certain as I can be that there is nothing internal that is at fault here, but will be happy to hold my hands up if wrong. I am happy to go through the fault finding steps, but being intermittant need to be careful that say for example, a week with only one phone connected and the fault does not occur means one of the other phones is at fault, maybe the fault would not have happened that week under any condition, we have to be careful about coincidence. I hate intermittant faults, just as much as I hate coincidences

If it was an internal problem, when someone tries ringing me, wouldn't they just get a ringing confirmation tone anyway, or a busy tone, to be no connection at all surely points to my line being temporarily disconnected at the exchange side?

Cheers again

Duncan

Pingtest: Line Quality A: Ping 48ms: Jitter 1ms: Server 50 mi
      Connection Speed: 5184/768: Attenuation: 31.5/52: Snr: 8/7.8

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

No problem, we all need to sleep occasionally.
      You're not allowed sleep Scubbie, you're to be here at our beck and call lol

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Could you confirm the REM values? I know most modern phone have a REN value of 1, but it would be nice to be certain about this. an Ansa-phone (which you don't have) can be 1.5 or 2. Sorry if I sound finicky.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1710 View Post
      I'm as certain as I can be that there is nothing internal that is at fault here, but will be happy to hold my hands up if wrong. I am happy to go through the fault finding steps, but being intermittent need to be careful that say for example, a week with only one phone connected and the fault does not occur means one of the other phones is at fault, maybe the fault would not have happened that week under any condition, we have to be careful about coincidence. I hate intermittent faults, just as much as I hate coincidences
      Could it be that a handset wasn't replaced properly?

Phone connected to BT's exchanges now make a high-pitched noise if they are left off the hock for too long. I don't know if Sky phones do the same, but I do know that they can stay connected if only the recipient of the call hangs up.

See how things go for the next week. If it goes wrong again, seriously consider reducing the number of phones connected to see if you can rule something out. It could be something as simple as a slightly loose connection or a handset failing.

BTW: I now use a pair of wireless phones. They display the call time which is useful for keeping within the 1 hours call period for free calls. Caller display works well too. I have a corded phone plugged in too, in case of a power cut. Just an idea to consider for the long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1710 View Post
      If it was an internal problem, when someone tries ringing me, wouldn't they just get a ringing confirmation tone anyway, or a busy tone, to be no connection at all surely points to my line being temporarily disconnected at the exchange side?
      It depends on the nature of the fault.

BTW: Re-not sleeping....

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Could you confirm the REM values? I know most modern phone have a REN value of 1, but it would be nice to be certain about this. an Ansa-phone (which you don't have) can be 1.5 or 2. Sorry if I sound finicky. No problem, 3 x phone with ren 1.0 each

Could it be that a handset wasn't replaced properly?Nope, confirmed by the fact that the timer was inactive on each phone

Phone connected to BT's exchanges now make a high-pitched noise if they are left off the hock for too long. I don't know if Sky phones do the same, but I do know that they can stay connected if only the recipient of the call hangs up. Don't know about that one

See how things go for the next week. If it goes wrong again, seriously consider reducing the number of phones connected to see if you can rule something out. It could be something as simple as a slightly loose connection or a handset failing. I can't reduce the number of handsets, as having mobility issues I could not manage with less than 3. I'll re check all connections tomorrow though

BTW: I now use a pair of wireless phones. They display the call time which is useful for keeping within the 1 hours call period for free calls. Caller display works well too. I have a corded phone plugged in too, in case of a power cut. Just an idea to consider for the long-term. The corded phones I use have the same timer on them, there's noooo way I'm getting caught out on the old 60 minute con

It depends on the nature of the fault.

BTW: Re-not sleeping.... lol, stop whining and get back to work solving us good ppl's problems
      Thanks again

Thanks

Ok, to summarise the situation so far:

a. Twice now, approximately 1 week apart, you couldn't call home to speak with your wife

b. Your wife couldn't hear you calling

c. The phone didn't get diverted to the 1571 ansa-phone

d. You have 3 corded telephones, plugged into the same socket on your filtered faceplate in the master socket

e. each phone has a REN 1.0 value (total 3) indicating that you are below the UK maximum of 4

f. you're satisfied that whichever phone was last used was properly placed back on the hook after use

g. there is no hiss or crackling on the line between your home and the exchange when you dial '1'

h. you router does not report any drops in the Noise Margin

i. for understandable personal reasons you can't temporally remove all but one telephone to eliminate a potential fault with one of the phones or extensions

j. the telephone line between you home and the green BT street box is exposed only for a short period between your home and a post outside, after that it goes underground

k. the extensions are only 2 months old

l. you don't have a Sky STB plugged into the telephone socket

Perhaps in examining the extensions you could double check that none go across a passageway without being suitably protected. Telephone wire isn't particularly strong and does break when walked across (even under the carpet). This in turn can cause problems.

How long are the extensions? Also did you have to perform any assembly on the extensions (i.e. crimp an IDC connector)?

Also did you tack the telephone cables into place, so that they don't accidentally get caught by a Hoover, or underfoot?

I strongly suspect that the issue is caused from within your home. I am open to suggestions from anyone else as to the nature of the problem. If i have missed anything, please DO say something.

Now I need to get back to watching David Boreanaz in Bones.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Ok, to summarise the situation so far:

a. Twice now, approximately 1 week apart, you couldn't call home to speak with your wife Well close, wife was out, tried to ring home, call could not connect, no busy tone or ringing, just wouldn't connect

b. Your wife couldn't hear you calling Phone did not ring in house

c. The phone didn't get diverted to the 1571 ansa-phone correct

d. You have 3 corded telephones, plugged into the same socket on your filtered faceplate in the master socket no, 1 phone plugged into filtered faceplacte alongside router, 2 extensions wired up from behind faceplate

e. each phone has a REN 1.0 value (total 3) indicating that you are below the UK maximum of 4 yep

f. you're satisfied that whichever phone was last used was properly placed back on the hook after use yep

g. there is no hiss or crackling on the line between your home and the exchange when you dial '1' correct

h. you router does not report any drops in the Noise Margin correct

i. for understandable personal reasons you can't temporally remove all but one telephone to eliminate a potential fault with one of the phones or extensions correct

j. the telephone line between you home and the green BT street box is exposed only for a short period between your home and a post outside, after that it goes underground correct

k. the extensions are only 2 months old yep

l. you don't have a Sky STB plugged into the telephone socket correct

Perhaps in examining the extensions you could double check that none go across a passageway without being suitably protected. Telephone wire isn't particularly strong and does break when walked across (even under the carpet). This in turn can cause problems. All in unexposed places and cable clipped out of the way

How long are the extensions? Also did you have to perform any assembly on the extensions (i.e. crimp an IDC connector)? First is 5m second is 10m, both straight into a bt socket with proper tool

Also did you tack the telephone cables into place, so that they don't accidentally get caught by a Hoover, or underfoot? Yep

I strongly suspect that the issue is caused from within your home. I am open to suggestions from anyone else as to the nature of the problem. If i have missed anything, please DO say something.

This feels like I'm a teacher marking someones homework lol

Now I need to get back to watching David Boreanaz in Bones.
      Thanks again Scubbie, as I said I'll go over it all tomz, and report back, open to all/any other suggestions in the meantime if anyone has any brainwaves

Thanks

Hmmm... Interesting...

Could you also double check the connections at the back of the filtered faceplate?

Ensure that the IDC connections have been properly pushed in place, look tidy & that there are no indications that it may be anything less than 100%.

Thanks

Every connection, socket, phone etc all checked.

I use the Idc tool to check each connection, then check router stats after each connection (to see if there is any difference), strangely, although it seemed ok behind the filtered faceplate, all snug and secure, upon replacing it, my upstream snr went from 8.5 to 9.2, its been at 8.5 since dlm finished with hardly any variation, its now been at 9.2 for over an hour, it might be time to hold my hands up as per #11 lol.

Will see how it goes over next week or 2, if the problem still persists I'll have to do as Scubbie suggests and start ruling out phones and extensions by disconnecting them. Cheers Scubbie for your help

Duncan

Thanks

Thanks for the update.

You've obviously changed something if the Noise margin has changed. I trust that your upload speed hasn't been dramatically altered.

Keep an eye on things. That action may have been sufficient to fix things.

I was wondering if you have a mobile that you could have around just in case of an emergency. Perhaps you could make sure that this is available should you need to remove the extensions.

Thanks

Thanks for the update. Yw

You've obviously changed something if the Noise margin has changed. I trust that your upload speed hasn't been dramatically altered. Not changed at all

Keep an eye on things. That action may have been sufficient to fix things. Fingers crossed

I was wondering if you have a mobile that you could have around just in case of an emergency. Perhaps you could make sure that this is available should you need to remove the extensions. Dug another old mobile out anyway, as a just in case, good call though
      Cheers

Duncan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12