Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving House - Sky Talk Line Rental Advice Needed

This is a discussion on Moving House - Sky Talk Line Rental Advice Needed within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello, I was wondering if you would be able to offer some advice... I've just bought a new property which ...

MultiMartin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Moving House - Sky Talk Line Rental Advice Needed

Hello, I was wondering if you would be able to offer some advice...

I've just bought a new property which has no telephone service activated. The telephone exchange for my area has no Sky LLU services available but Sky do say that they can offer me a Sky Talk with Line Rental package. I am assuming this means that they are simply reselling the BT Wholesale product? It seems like a much beter deal than what BT themselves are offering.

Anyway, I have been doing some renovation work on the property and have noticed that the previous owners have really tampered with the BT line masterbox. They've basically cut the wire in the masterbox and extended it in an ad-hoc way to the other side of the house - no 'proper' connections, they have simply twisted the two wires together. This means I don't have a proper BT master box in my house but basically a lot of dodgy extensions. If I were to order Sky Talk with Line Rental would they send a Sky Engineer or a BT Engineer and would they fix this as part of the installation?

I want to put my Sky+HD box where the original master socket was but it can't be used in it's current state as it has a plastic cover/blank face plate over it without a telephone connection socket. I don't want to try to correct it myself as I would much rather have a BT/Sky engineer do it properly.

Any advice would be grateful received!

2. Advertisement
      nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Moving House - Sky Talk Line Rental Advice Needed

WHen ordering sky talk line rental explain the situation and they will arrange a visit as part of the order rather that connecting it remotely (which they may have done in your case). The engineer will come round and fit an NTE5 Master and disconnect the dodgey extensions from the master socket. Get this done at the start as if you don't and you have to report a fault 12 months down the line and the dodgey internal wiring is causing the issue you may be charged.