Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems with dial-up internet using Sky Talk

This is a discussion on Problems with dial-up internet using Sky Talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I seek the help of the Forum members! If the admin. team think that this should be posted in another ...

Yorkshire Traveller is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cleckheaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Problems with dial-up internet using Sky Talk

I seek the help of the Forum members! If the admin. team think that this should be posted in another section then please move as appropriate.

We have Sky TV, Sky Broadband and Sky Talk though our line rental remains with BT.

We are very happy with all our services . . . however I’ve started to experience small and annoying telephony problem!

As Sky don’t provide any web space I have a couple of web sites hosted for free as part of dial-up PAYG packages one by Virgin the other by Tesco (whose backbone was provided by ntl now Virgin).

I have been able to dial up and upload to these sites for many years without problem. However, for the past couple of months when trying to connect to either the Tesco or Virgin servers I can hear my modem trying to negotiate with the Tesco and Virgin computers then I get either: 619, 678, 718 errors (can’t get a connection with the remote computer, or remote computer fails to respond).

Tesco give you the option to dial-in from an alternative number – I registered a friend’s phone number at a completely different exchange and this dialled up, authenticated, registered and let me upload changes to my website without problem.

This would (I think – I’m not very technical) imply that the Tesco and Virgin computers are somehow not recognising my home phone number thus will not authenticate. I do not have caller withheld on my home line – if I call a mobile or another land line from home my number always shows.

I have contacted Tesco and Virgin – they say that all is OK at their end.

I have contacted BT who say that there are no faults on my line.

I have contacted Sky who say that they have not doe anything to my telephony service that would cause this to happen.

I’m going around in circles! Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Nigel.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Problems with dial-up internet using Sky Talk

You might need to add a number to the start of the number you are dialling, I am not sure what it is, but 1428 springs to mind. Maybe someone else can guide you further. I have no problem dialling up to Plusnet, but I don't have Sky rental, only calls.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi Isitme:

I too only have Sky Talk not Sky Rental.

To dial my Tesco account the prefix is 1263 (the old ntl number) the number is: 1263 0845 4551040 - I am then billed by Tesco for the call. The Virgin number is a straightforward 0844 number the number is: 0844 0544020 and the bill shows on my Sky Talk account (even though I don't get connected!).

I have tried putting the 1470 prefix in front of both numbers to 'force' my number to be shown but this has no effect (though my number does not have the number witheld - see above).

Nigel.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

To dial my Tesco account the prefix is 1263 (the old ntl number) the number is: 1263 0845 4551040 - I am then billed by Tesco for the call.
      Are you sure? I have not been able to route calls through BT. I did not think it was possible to route through another provider when using Sky Talk.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you sure? I have not been able to route calls through BT. I did not think it was possible to route through another provider when using Sky Talk.
      Yes - it's only BT that Sky prevent you routing calls through. For all my non-inclusive Sky Talk calls I use 18185.

Nigel.

Thanks

An update: escalated the problem through BT and agreed a call out by an engineer. Spoke to the engineer by phone who understood my problem - he had come across this before! He checked the exchange and advised that some equipment at the exchange would need to be replaced - may take up to 48hrs. 24hrs later received a text to say that the problem was fixed and hey presto - I now have my dial-up working and authenticating with both Tesco and Virgin.

Hope that this may help others should they experience the same problem.