Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to Sky Talk - Phone line dead

This is a discussion on New to Sky Talk - Phone line dead within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I moved from BT to Sky yesterday (7/12/10). The broadband is working fine, but the phone line is dead. I've ...

JGHawkins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New to Sky Talk - Phone line dead

I moved from BT to Sky yesterday (7/12/10). The broadband is working fine, but the phone line is dead. I've tested it with 3 different handsets, in the phone and master sockets, with broadband connected and disconnected - same result every time. What's the quickest way to get someone at Sky to investigate? I'm sure it's just something that wasn't done, or was done incorrectly, at the time of the switchover - the phone line and broadband were fine immediately prior, but only broadband has worked since.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New to Sky Talk - Phone line dead

Pardon the pun but give them a ring I guess, or log a fault call on the sky.com website

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do you know whether you are on the Sky Voice and Broadband Network (SVBN)?

Try a handset directly into the test socket (provided you have one - unscrew the master socket faceplate and the test port will be behind to the right hand side). If you're still getting no dial tone, then you need to call Sky. I think the number to talk tech team is 08442 414 141, but if not you'll be passed to the correct dept. anyway.

This will either go one of two ways:

If you're on SVBN - If Sky's line test passes, it will be escalated to CST (Customer Solutions Team) and then passed to the voice NOC (Network Operations Centre). This is due to the fact that broadband works fine and the line tests fine, then it's likely an issue within Sky's co-location within the exchange. If line tests fail, then it'll be logged to Openreach as a fault and usually updated (whether that be fixed, engineer dispatched etc.) within 48 hours.

If you're WLR (Wholesale Line Rental i.e. PSTN service still on the BT network) - Regardless of test results and such, it'll be logged to Openreach as a fault and you're looking some kind of update within 48 hours.

Thanks

Thanks for the response.

I'm not absolutely sure about SVBN vs PSTN, but I think it's the former. The problem I have is that the phone line that's not working is the only one I have (no mobile, and can't really call from work) - so phoning to get chase up a problem is, well, a problem (may be able to do something with Skype I suppose, but still difficult for Sky to call me back).

I have done the check with the test socket already using two different phones.

It seems obvious that the problem is in some way related to the switchover, and all I want is to get it sorted ASAP.

Thanks

Thanks.

I have logged the problem with them, but the response I got was a bit underwhelming - they seemed to think I had an issue with Sky Talk features (perhaps they view making and receiving phone calls as a 'feature'!).

Exchange:
      Thanks

How exactly was the call left?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      How exactly was the call left?
      I reported the problem in an e-mail using the form in My Sky. Although I'd raised it as a Sky Talk fault, the response came back with the heading 'Calling Features help', directing me to a troubleshooting link (irrelevant as it was entirely about Sky Talk features), and suggesting I phone back if I still had an issue. I e-mailed back to explain that the problem was a bit more than a few errant features, explained that calling them was difficult without a working phone line, and asking them to investigate as a matter of urgency. I've not heard back from them yet.

davey22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01305
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

within 48 hours.[/QUOTE]
      Yeh right!!!!!, try 72hrs!!!! Sky took over my Line, talk and broadband (unlimited, which I am recieving) on Fri 18 March 2011, it is now Tues 22nd, 1430hrs and my phoneline is still dead!! Outgoing and incoming, been told 72 hours from when I reported the problem (Sat), all I think is wrong is a reset needed at the exchange a 2 minute job!!! NOT A HAPPY BUNNY!!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davey22 View Post
      Yeh right!!!!!, try 72hrs!!!! Sky took over my Line, talk and broadband (unlimited, which I am recieving) on Fri 18 March 2011, it is now Tues 22nd, 1430hrs and my phoneline is still dead!! Outgoing and incoming, been told 72 hours from when I reported the problem (Sat), all I think is wrong is a reset needed at the exchange a 2 minute job!!! NOT A HAPPY BUNNY!!!
      If it has been actioned to escalations and you're waiting for them to get back to you? Yeah, 72 hours is an aim and not even guaranteed.

However, READ my post again CAREFULLY and you'll see 48 hours is in regards to faults logged to Openreach.

davey22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01305
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      If it has been actioned to escalations and you're waiting for them to get back to you? Yeah, 72 hours is an aim and not even guaranteed.

However, READ my post again CAREFULLY and you'll see 48 hours is in regards to faults logged to Openreach.
      I'm pretty sure it has gone to openreach, I was told by the chaps on the topfloor of the Dunfirmiline Sky office, that the card needs resetting at my local exchange, something that somebody should have got right the first time instead of causing me inconveniance for the best part of 4 days now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast