Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

quick question if i change my phoneline to sky....

This is a discussion on quick question if i change my phoneline to sky.... within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi i am in the process of cutting my bills, and it turns out i can save a couple of ...

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

quick question if i change my phoneline to sky....

Hi

i am in the process of cutting my bills, and it turns out i can save a couple of quid a month by moving my line rental to sky.

AND its just a tick a box and do nothing, which i like

However, as far as i know i pay my BT line rental every 3 months. so if i go over to sky, will be be done without me wasting any money, ie naturally transfer over when i would be due to pay BT more, or will i lose any money paid to BT?

if its the former great i will do it now, however if not i will need to work out when i normally pay my bt bill and phone sky to ask how long it takes to transfer over.

no point wasting a month (or more i guess as i only pay every 3 months i think) of BT line rental

cheers

M.
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

2. Advertisement
      lazyade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: quick question if i change my phoneline to sky....

I'd be quite wary of moving your line rental to Sky as getting your line back to BT or another provider in the future can be problematic. I moved my line to Sky last summer and am in the process of moving back to BT. I decided to move my line back to BT due to Sky charging for 0870 and 0845 numbers whereas these are inclusive with BT. I also understand Sky may cancel your phone line if you cease to take a Sky TV subscription with them, I didn't want that restriction.

But, when I tried to move my line I had problems. BT moved the line last week but were unable to complete the transition, as Sky wouldn't release my ported number. I was (and am still) left without a phone line and broadband. Sky say I can't port my number back to BT as once numbers are ported their network you can't take them back (I was never told this and I've checked my terms and conditions and there is no mention of this). BT are saying it will be another 10 days to provision the line with a new number. I believe Sky are wrong by saying I can't port my number back to BT (as I ported it to them from BT in the first place), I'm having that argument with them at the moment.

In September of this year (after the expiration of my 12 month Sky Talk contract) I'd also tried to move the phone and broadband to Plusnet, this had failed to (due to Sky not complying with the transfer).

My advice to anyone would be not to move their line rental, instead contact BT and say you're thinking of leaving. They may match the deal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lazyade For This Useful Post:

bigmike20vt (08-11-10)

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Thanks

wow that is terrible! glad i asked now.

i may just pay the 115 quid up front to BT then!.

cheers

M.
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Although I do personally agree with the previous advice, I'll add that just because you move line rental to Sky does not necessarily mean you'll be ported to the Sky Voice and Broadband Network (SVBN). If they don't have the nvn equipment at your exchange, you'll still be on SMPF (BT Wholesale Line Rental i.e. still on BT's POTS).

Of course, that is until Sky eventually update your exchange for svbn as they are planning on doing it for the whole network in time.

RJM
      RJM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Weybridge
      Broadband ISP: Now PlusNet
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

After, the 12 month contract if, you are willing to accept a new telephone number would the process of going back to BT be faster?

This information is most disturbing as I was told it would be no problem in moving after the contract expired.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lazyade View Post
      I believe Sky are wrong by saying I can't port my number back to BT (as I ported it to them from BT in the first place), I'm having that argument with them at the moment.
      Something for Ofcom to comment on perhaps? Ofcom | Routing calls to ported telephone numbers is (I think) the current position on number porting. Your calls will almost certainly be routed via BT to Sky, so it's a bit mean to refuse to give control of the number back to them.

The original requirement for number portability was an EU ruling. It would be interesting to know why Sky think they are above the law...

Ofcom | Number Portability information and useful links

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lazyade View Post
      In September of this year (after the expiration of my 12 month Sky Talk contract) I'd also tried to move the phone and broadband to Plusnet, this had failed to (due to Sky not complying with the transfer).
      The reason you couldn't transfer direct to Plusnet is because your line is unbundled to Sky and needs to go back to BT first before Plusnet can provide their service. Sky did nothing wrong. This actually is currently under review as part of a consultation currently under way with Ofcom.

The way to do it is phone BT and ask for Customer Options and request a Return to Donor which they will do for free although you will end up with a 12 month contract with BT.

The other option, if you don't mind changing your phone number, is to order a new line with BT. You end up in a contract with BT again but it only costs 29.99 at the moment and if you are happy to take BT broadband as well it will it's free.

oxter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224 - Aberdeen West Thorngrove
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike20vt View Post
      wow that is terrible! glad i asked now.

i may just pay the 115 quid up front to BT then!.

cheers

M.
      I was going to do that when I read about an annual BT sub on Monesavingexpert. However on checking with BT I found that you must make a minimum of 2 calls per month on your BT bill otherwise you have to pay a monthly sub (think it was 1.50) on top of the lumpsum. It all sounded too much hassle and I am now thinking of just jumping to Sky as my line supplier.
      I don't forsee changing my TV/Calls/Broadband package as up to now after a couple of years I am very happy.
      I wonder if there have been a lot of bad experiences in switching rental as well?
      I have heard 1 story of BT charging a sky customer a lot for checking out the line when he was having problems - they said there was nothing wrong.
      Are Sky customers generally happy with Sky line rental?