Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Skyline activated in cupboard

This is a discussion on Skyline activated in cupboard within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; HELP - We have recently joined Sky for flats and took the full package of TV with a basic SkyTalk ...

carlito.m is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Skyline activated in cupboard

HELP - We have recently joined Sky for flats and took the full package of TV with a basic SkyTalk and BB. We paid for Sky to activate the line in the flat as we moved in recently and it had no activated line. They sent out BT openreach who activated the line in the boiler cupboard. Now despite the flat having four other sockets in the one bed flat including one near the TV - the phone / router has to be in the cupboard. I have complained to Sky who say BT are always doing this, saying sometimes they install in bathrooms. As a layman I do not understand why this has happend, can anyone explain. Sky have offered no alternative but to tell us to bring an extension from the cupboard to the living room. As tenants we cant do any DIY in any form to aid the appearance of the wires and such. It seems there is no solution to a simple problem. We obviously do not have the Sky box connected to the phoneline either which I prosumed was a stipulation of the Sky deal but Sky do not seem bothered by the fact we are yet to do this or use our phone or broadband in almost two months.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Skyline activated in cupboard

It sounds like the flat has not been wired in correctly by the builders, the easiest soloution is to run in an extension, you can buy thin ones that will tuck under the carpet ect if needed although you should keep your Sky router in the cupboard as you will get the best results from there.

BT will not run in cables etc around the flat for free, they will only install a main socket wherever they can, if you did not instruct them where to put it then they will put it in the easiest place for them.

I wouldn't worry about the Sky receiver not being plugged in, this is only a real problem if you have multiroom.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

BT have done what they are supposed to do, the electrician who 2nd fixed your flat during build hasn't. All the phone points in your flat run to your boiler cupboard where the main BT line in is. If you take the faceplate off the working BT socket, you will find the other cables all coiled up ready to be connected, but not actually connected to anything!! All you need to do is connect them up! You only need to connect 2 of the 6 wires in each cable. The Blue with a white flash to pin 2, and the white with a blue flash to pin 5. Pins 2 and 5 are situated on the smaller bit of the faceplate with the phone plug bit on it. You can carefully push the wires in with a stanley blade as you probably don't have a krone tool. Check that all the other phone points are wired the same way. Fit filters to all phone points and job done.

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yup - I complained to my landlord that the rest of the sockets in the house were not wired correctly, and he did sort it - didn't cost me anything.

Depends on having an understanding landlord though
      ---reech---