Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crime number needed to change phone number?

This is a discussion on Crime number needed to change phone number? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I spoke to CS yesterday to see if we could change our number. We are being bombarded with calls from ...

Hiekel Essterol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey LVWAL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Crime number needed to change phone number?

I spoke to CS yesterday to see if we could change our number. We are being bombarded with calls from foreign call centres asking for someone that has never lived here (we were the first tenants).

All I can think is this person was the previous owner of the phone number. We have asked them to remove us from their calling list, they wont. They get very rude when we say, sometimes 3 times a day, that there is and never was a Mr XXXXX here.

We tried to block the number as per the instructions on the Sky website but it didnt work, could this be down to it being an international number we are getting calls from?

Anyway CS said that in order to change our phone number we need to report the nuisance calls to the police, get a crime number, and ring CS back with that number. This seems a little odd, and doubt that the police would want to get involved in nuisance calls from another country.

Can anyone verify whether CS are right or wrong please?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Crime number needed to change phone number?

You do indeed need a crime reference number. If you report it to your local police, they should progress it and give you said CRN. Call up sky once you've got that and then the ball can get rolling.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't think they are either right or wrong, just doing a bit of buck passing. Have a look at this article for information on nuisance calls,-
      Sky.com - Security Centre>Article

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I have been through this with Sky, they will NOT change your number without a Crime Reference Number, due to BT wanting 150 for changing number, well that's Sky's answer.

Local Police Office laughed at me for asking for a Crime Number for something so petty, probably due to knowing it has no chance of being a solved crime.

All Sky Customer Services did was give me a 20 credit when I said cancel my subscription.

BT changed my mothers number with in 12 hours once she had reported a few nuisance calls.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Same here; police originally said they wouldn't issue a number. Said it wasn't 'serious enough', and told me not to waste their time.

A nicely written letter taken to the police station the following day, addressed to 'whoever looks after the staff here' explaining what I wanted, and lamenting at the attitude I'd encountered from the front desk police staff resulted in me getting a crime number another couple of days later, so you can get it with a little persistence
      ---reech---

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

You may have got your 'Crime Number' reech but what is the crime?

Unless you're alleging harassment (in which case, you'd have to prove that repeated calls came from the same person despite him/her having been told to cease and desist), I can't think of anything which is a crime.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

wottajoke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Right!!!!! where do i start I am being bombarded with nuisance calls day and night so i called sky and cs said they would change my number within 7 days,7 days passed and nothing so i called again in which i was told sky not changing my number in which i then sent an email complaining about this still heard nothing so 10 days on i call again and was told yes my number will be changed.... 17 days later i call again to be told i DID need a crm so I said I wish to cancel my whole sky package CS said I could not cancel my phone line or broadband only my tv .....Is somene havin a larf or wot......

Thanks

If you are within your 12 month contract, Sky can refuse to let you cancel, or charge you in full for the remaining contract period. If you are not in contract you can leave with 31 days notice. If this is the case, call Sky and ask for your MAC. If you are on Connect as your profile says, there should be no problem with this. Do not tell them you are cancelling until after you obtain your MAC. You can then call BT, or whoever you want and tell them you want them to take your line over and also that you require a new phone number.

There is another solution if you want to consider it. If the nuisance calls are accompanied by a number, ie, not caller unknown, there are some phones available which can block given numbers. One of these may suit you. They can do nothing if the number is withheld.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

wottajoke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you for the swift reply.........i,ve been with sky a long time but only just changed my phone line to sky talk 6 weeks ago which is when the nuisance calls started.just had another chat with cs who have now told me i do NOT need a CRM....now i,m beginning to think its just a wind-up....

Thanks

There seems to be conflicting opinions about this, even among Sky's 'Knowledge advisers.' Have a look at these threads from the Sky official forum.

Sky Help Forum - Changing your telephone number -easy to do? - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Sky Help Forum - changing my phone number - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Sky Help Forum - Changing Phone Number - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

There are probably more threads on this.

Note the part about your broadband being effected.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast