Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Talk Compatibility

This is a discussion on Sky Talk Compatibility within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I signed up to the full sky package with broadband but not the phone line, I already had line rental ...

Sithwad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Talk Compatibility

I signed up to the full sky package with broadband but not the phone line, I already had line rental with the Post Office (I refuse to get anything from BT).

They said everything was fine and would set up my Sky Talk, which to be honest I would never use as I have unlimited Free Mobile calls, but just wanted it to get the 5 discount off the broadband.

I recieved a letter from Sky stating that they could not set up my sky talk as the postcode I had provided was different to the one that BT had on record for me.

Ok, just reflecting a minute on the poorest excuse for screwing things up I have ever heard. As i said , I don't even use BT for starters, so who cares what postcode BT have on record for me and why would that even stop the Sky Talk set up.

Anyway phoned Sky, they had no idea what the letter meant and said they would setup Sky Talk again as it had been cancelled. A week later the exact same letter arrived informing me BT had a different postcode. Sky once again had no idea what this meant and accused me, or someone who lives with me (i live on my own) of phoning up and cancelling the Sky Talk order. Anyway, they said they would set it up again!

When the third letter arrived informing me that BT had a different postcode, and no discount had been given to me for my Broadband on my bill I rang them and after being on hold for 30 minutes, they said that it was because i had my line rental through the Post Office and therefore they could not set up Sky Talk, so that is what the letters meant, obviously.

This is not what the Post Office said when i set up the line rental with them, and is not what Sky told me when I set up with them telling them I had line rental through the Post Office. It would have been cheaper if I had got the Post Office broadband package without the Sky Talk discount, now i'm tied into a 12 months contract!

Does anyone know if the information I was given is correct i.e. Sky Talk can only be given to customers who have a BT line, or just a fob off cos the staff at sky have no idea what the random letters they send out mean!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Talk Compatibility

Unless the PO have unbundled your line, which I doubt as you would not be able to get broadband on it, there is no reason why you can't have Sky Talk. All it requires is a BT compatible line, the same as your broadband. I think there probably is a problem with your post code somewhere. Although your rental is with the PO they in turn, rent it from BT, so you will still be on the BT database. If they have you down under the wrong code, this could cause the problem.

You should find out from the PO what address they have registered with BT. Can you view your details online with them?

It is strange they were able to put your broadband through on the line if it is being incorrectly reported.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sithwad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thank you for a quick reply, I was informed by the Post Office that thier line is classed as a compatible BT line and was told by Sky that the Post Office was a BT compatible line, I was under the impression due to the long waiting on hold that they had no idea what the letters actually meant.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give the Post Office a ring and may get back to sky, I resent being charged thier premium rate numbers to sort out thier mistakes though!

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

How old is your house as when new estates are built the royal mail can issue temporay postcodes for the site works and then as houses are built issue the correct postcode.

It does sound like a problem with the BT postcode database though.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

user111 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hi, I work in the sky provisiong team, the information you have been given is correct, it is a standard letter that is sent out.. the reason for it is that openreach reject it with the same error code. In the agents knowedge managment base it just says postcode mismatch (needs updated) but the information is corrrect, the WLR needs to be with BT or sky i'm afraid for the WCLI (calls package) to go through. And all lines are linked to the openreach databases in an address database but if in the case the postcode was wrong (which it isn't in this case) it would be down to your current line provider to get this sorted out, not BT.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

It'll probably be worth phoning the post office and having them force a post code update through with BT Openreach. Once that is done sky should hopefully have no further problems in enabling your line for BB and Talk.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      It'll probably be worth phoning the post office and having them force a post code update through with BT Openreach. Once that is done sky should hopefully have no further problems in enabling your line for BB and Talk.
      No.

As SkyWorky has said, for Sky Talk to be enabled, the Sky customer must be paying rental directly to Sky or BT. This has nothing to do with broadband.

BTW Sithwad. As you refuse to get anything from BT, this delay may well have done you a favour because Sky Talk calls are carried on the BT network (Sky now rents a package called Wholesale Calls Line Independent [WCLI] from BT Wholesale).
      Last edited by Heinz; 14-07-10 at 03:38 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.