Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky unable to use their own billing system.

This is a discussion on Sky unable to use their own billing system. within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I cancelled all my Sky services in November 2009 and all was well until I noticed, in February 2010, that ...

schadfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky unable to use their own billing system.

I cancelled all my Sky services in November 2009 and all was well until I noticed, in February 2010, that I still had a direct debit set up with them. This hadn't been used for a while, of course, because I am not a customer and was no longer receiving any products or services from them. So I cancelled it.

In March 2010 they started billing me for someone else's telephone calls! Despite constant promises to correct this issue they have continued this practice through April, May and June 2010. They are always happy to credit my account for the value of the charges but I getting seriously annoyed at having to call Customer Services every month and ask them to do this.

I don't see why they have my name and address still on their billing system anyway. Given the requirements of the Data Protection Act I asked how long they would keep an ex-customer's details on their systems and was told three years!

On my last call the customer service guy I spoke to plain lied about having an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme. I had search online myself to discover this is with OTELO.

2. Advertisement
      stu_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky unable to use their own billing system.

why have you not cancelled your DD with your bank then they will be unable to take any money out of your account?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If you have an on-line bank account you should find cancelling the DD a simple click. You cannot cancel the DD by asking Sky you can only cancel at the bank end of the process. You can ask sky to stop requesting payments but that's not cancelling the DD mandate.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stu_uk View Post
      why have you not cancelled your DD with your bank then they will be unable to take any money out of your account?
      It was after cancelling the DD that they started sending me these bills! I would love to ignore them but they would no doubt set a debt collection agency on me if I did that.

Instead I am faced with contacting them every month to explain the situation so they can credit my Sky account so that I do not owe them anything. They are apparently incapable of actually stopping the bills being sent out.

These charges are for real calls being made by one of their customers. Why it has proved impossible for the bill to be sent to the correct customer for four consecutive months seems beyond belief...

stu_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

gotcha now

It has to be said nothing that Sky does amazes me

Id send a letter to Sky pointing out data protection and thier exposing another customers account details to you.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The debt collection agency would have no grounds to collect debt from you for someone elses bill.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      The debt collection agency would have no grounds to collect debt from you for someone elses bill.
      And if Sky gave out your name and/or address to a DCA for a debt which is not yours, they'd be in serious trouble with the Information Commissioner for breach of Data Protection.

Anyway, who's paying for the calls you have to make each month? I'd instigate a Small Claims Court procedure to recover those costs if they don't cough up immediately when you ask them in writing.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      It is my bill - with my name and address plus my old Sky account number. It is the calls that are not mine! I have received no products or services from Sky since November 2009.

As I had another new bill through the door yesterday I have put in a complaint through Otelo. I will be expecting compensation for the time I have spent trying to stop these bills and the money I have spent calling Sky Customer Services.