Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice needed on Skytalk and BT

This is a discussion on Advice needed on Skytalk and BT within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; As this is my very first post I apologise in advance if it's on the wrong section. I would appreciate ...

sylwright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 1942
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Advice needed on Skytalk and BT

As this is my very first post I apologise in advance if it's on the wrong section. I would appreciate advice on my situation re Sky.

I currently have Sky + with a very dodgy box that plays up regularly. Looking at the price of a replacement box it would appear to be cheaper for me to upgrade to Sky+HD and get the new box for free and pay 10 monthly for SkyHD pack.

I have BT line rental of unlimited weekend plan which costs 11.54 per month. I also use 18866 sometimes. I have unlimited broadband with Sky which costs 15 monthly.

If I take Skytalk it is free and reduces my broadband cost by 5 each month.

I am wondering if it would be better for me to move my phone line rental to Sky and would welcome advice on any advantages I would get from this.

I do use Caller Display but that only works if I program the numbers into my phones without the 18866 prefix.

I also use 1471 and 1571.

Sorry for such a long winded first post but have just found this site and the advice on here looks great.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Advice needed on Skytalk and BT

A lot depends on how much you use your phone for outgoing calls. A good way to compare is to look at the call tariffs for SkyTalk and compare to recent BT bills (bearing in mind that BT have recently increased their basic call set up to 9.9p a call). http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-condit.../tariff-guide/

To have 1571 and caller display for free you have to either keep calls & line rental with BT, or move everything to Sky. If you keep your BT line and move calls to SkyTalk you can't make any calls via BT so would have to pay for their services - but would save 5 on broadband. Swings & roundabouts. You won't be able to use 18866 on the Sky network from July:

Indirect Access Calls
      From 1 July Sky Talk Customers on the Sky Voice and Broadband Network will no longer be able to make calls using a prefix number to access a different telephony provider (known as Indirect Access Calls).

Finally, something to think about if you take Sky line rental is whether you would ever think of moving your service elsewhere in the future. If you wanted to move back to BT they currently charge 125 for reconnecting the line.
      Last edited by Mr Spouse; 25-04-10 at 02:47 PM.

sylwright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 1942
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Is there anyway I can take Skytalk whilst keeping my BT line, but make the odd call thru BT in order to still be able to use Caller Display etc.

I hadn't thought about the cost of moving back to BT, very good point.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

nope.

Sky = all payments to them for calls and a choice between line rental to Sky or BT.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sylwright View Post
      Thanks for the advice. Is there anyway I can take Skytalk whilst keeping my BT line, but make the odd call thru BT in order to still be able to use Caller Display etc.
      Changes for customers using 1280 | BT.com has some information. Essentially, SkyTalk on a BT line is provided through BT Wholesale, so dialling 1280 has no effect on routing.

If you currently have caller display and 1571 on your BT line, they will start charging you for them if you switch calls to SkyTalk and don't ask them to stop the services.