Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky LLU - should this have been explained to me....

This is a discussion on Sky LLU - should this have been explained to me.... within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have my TV, broadband and telephone with Sky at the moment. When I first moved my broadband to them, ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky LLU - should this have been explained to me ?

I have my TV, broadband and telephone with Sky at the moment.

When I first moved my broadband to them, Sky did not have their equipment at my exchange and so customer services explained that I would have to pay line rental to BT but call charges to Sky. This I thought was a bit of a pain paying two companies so when Sky did eventually get equipment at my exchange, Sky offered to take over the line so that all my telephone charges would be going to the same company.

Anyway, a couple of years later, I am thinking of leaving Sky and maybe getting freesat but after a bit of research, I have found out that if I move my broadband to another provider, I have to pay over 100 to get a BT line put back in so they have me over a barrell really. This of course would be their leverage if and when I telephoned to cancel.

Not being an expert on broadband or phone lines I was not aware of this fact until now. In my opinion, when Sky took over the line, I think they should have sent me a letter or at least warned me over the telephone that if I went ahead with it, it would cost me a significant amount of money to change to any other ADSL broadband provider as a BT line would have to be put in. Not everyone should be expected to automatically know this surely ?

I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were or if anyone was made aware of this when doing the same ?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky LLU - should this have been explained to me....

Sky are under no obligation to put you off their products, but you should have done your homework before you agreed to it.

Chances are you can get back on the BT system FOC, just ring BT and tell them you want to come back to them, they usually have a free install as an incentive although you will have to agree to a minimum term.

The problem you may have is in keeping your number, there has been reports on here that in some cases this is not possible.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Sky are under no obligation to put you off their products, but you should have done your homework before you agreed to it.

Chances are you can get back on the BT system FOC, just ring BT and tell them you want to come back to them, they usually have a free install as an incentive although you will have to agree to a minimum term.

The problem you may have is in keeping your number, there has been reports on here that in some cases this is not possible.
      I kept my number when moving from BT to SKY so maybe I could keep it if moving back. I would not necessarily go back to BT as my provider but I am assuming that if I wanted to go to another provider such as O2 for example, I would need a BT line put back in before O2 can provide me ? BT would only do it for free if they supply for the broadband for a min period as you say.

P.S. I do not see it as putting me off their product just stating an important fact by the way.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

BT would only do it for free if they supply for the broadband for a min period as you say.
      No they will not tie you to their broadband, but you will be tied to an 18 month phone rental contract.

As said there have been reports that Sky will not allow you to take your number with you, whether you originally took it to them or not.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No they will not tie you to their broadband, but you will be tied to an 18 month phone rental contract.

As said there have been reports that Sky will not allow you to take your number with you, whether you originally took it to them or not.
      Your main issue will actually be whether you are on SVBN, or just normal LLU.

If you are on SVBN, it has been known to take 3 months to cancel. They were trying to implement a new system, so not sure whether its in yet, but just be warned.

If you are on Plain LLU, then you won't have any trouble cancelling.

Transferring the number may be tricky. Its not really a matter of Sky not letting you take the number, its more that they are not physically able to transfer it if anything.

here is a link that explains transferring from LLU

Switch from an LLU Broadband Provider - Leave TalkTalk, Tiscali & Be

I'm sure that most of the rules apply to telephone lines too.

You do know that you can keep your Sky BB and line rental now, without having the Sky TV subs. This will be offered to you when you go to cancel. Its a little bit more expensive, but there are new packages coming out soon that will make it cheaper.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Your main issue will actually be whether you are on SVBN, or just normal LLU.

If you are on SVBN, it has been known to take 3 months to cancel. They were trying to implement a new system, so not sure whether its in yet, but just be warned.

If you are on Plain LLU, then you won't have any trouble cancelling.

Transferring the number may be tricky. Its not really a matter of Sky not letting you take the number, its more that they are not physically able to transfer it if anything.

here is a link that explains transferring from LLU

Switch from an LLU Broadband Provider - Leave TalkTalk, Tiscali & Be

I'm sure that most of the rules apply to telephone lines too.

You do know that you can keep your Sky BB and line rental now, without having the Sky TV subs. This will be offered to you when you go to cancel. Its a little bit more expensive, but there are new packages coming out soon that will make it cheaper.
      SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Ashford (NDASF) Exchange

Just LLU I think ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Just LLU I think ?
      If you are paying your phone rental to Sky there is a good chance that you are on the SVBN. A phone call to Sky would confirm.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

if sky are your phone provider then i suggest harassing them with noise on line ,poor broadband download speeds .losing phone speech when online etc etc etc and basically call them each and every day with a complaint [real or imagined ]it will take less than 2 months for sky to shuffle you to your new phone provider after their repeated failure to address your phone problems often a threat of writing to your member of parliament with a list of the complaints that sky have failed to rectify .or maybe you should have just read the small print[well you would have but as you have a learning disability and didn't understand all the written words on the agreement because you can not read then ask sky if they have your actual signature as "the salesman who sold me the package said he would sign it for me" and take the disability angle as far as it can go [i apologise to anyone who has this disability but as a way out of a contract its worth the deception]

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr44 View Post
      if sky are your phone provider then i suggest harassing them with noise on line ,poor broadband download speeds .losing phone speech when online etc etc etc and basically call them each and every day with a complaint [real or imagined ]it will take less than 2 months for sky to shuffle you to your new phone provider after their repeated failure to address your phone problems often a threat of writing to your member of parliament with a list of the complaints that sky have failed to rectify .or maybe you should have just read the small print[well you would have but as you have a learning disability and didn't understand all the written words on the agreement because you can not read then ask sky if they have your actual signature as "the salesman who sold me the package said he would sign it for me" and take the disability angle as far as it can go [i apologise to anyone who has this disability but as a way out of a contract its worth the deception]
      ???

Are you saying I have a disability for not understanding the implications of sky taking over the line or suggesting that I say I have one to move provider at no cost ?

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

suggesting that I say I have one to move provider at no cost[as i suggested you want to be a thorn in sky's side] unless you subscribe to your new phone providers 18month contract they tend to charge over 100 to reconnect you to your existing line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast