Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Solved - DECT Cordless Phone Channel Interference

This is a discussion on Solved - DECT Cordless Phone Channel Interference within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; There are numerous posts on the web about the problem of DECT cordless phones interfering with a small number of ...

Microtan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ferndale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Solved - DECT Cordless Phone Channel Interference

There are numerous posts on the web about the problem of DECT cordless phones interfering with a small number of Sky channels that use similar frequencies.

I confirmed this by removing the power from the phone base unit nearest the Sky box while watching channel 365 (one of my vulnerable channels). The picture then became viewable.

Many suggest moving the phone base unit to a different position but I could not find a suitable sweet spot.

Others suggest checking the complete integrity of the Sky cable screening but this appeared fine including the weakest link, the wall box that is fully screened. My Samsung HD box and installation is now 14 months old so an engineer callout would cost.

I checked the signal (another cause) using the settings menu and the signal strength white bar is still 100% and quality white bar around 95%. The Sky sub-contractor did a good job!

I was thinking about buying an ‘up to date’ cordless phone but I could not find any information on which phones, if any, are suitable for use in the same room as the Sky box.

Then I had an idea. What would happen if I opened up the phone base unit and disconnected the internal DECT aerial? I could then use the base unit just as a phone charger. My DECT phone is a very old BT Diverse 2010 so I have had my monies worth and as they say nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My telephone line is connected to another base unit that is well away from the Sky box so I first registered the phone to this other base unit to make sure it still worked.

It worked fine, so I removed the 4 screws to open up the base unit and snipped out the aerial wire. It worked and all the caffected hannel were watchable again

The problem is not completely cured as I still get interference while using the phone but this is a lot better than it was.
      Last edited by Microtan; 09-04-10 at 01:12 AM. Reason: tidy text formatting

2. Advertisement