Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT or Primus for line rental?

This is a discussion on BT or Primus for line rental? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; To explain my current situation:- I知 paying line rental to BT at 」11.54 per month and also have Sky Talk ...

jdp
      jdp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MAGHULL LVMAG
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT or Primus for line rental?

To explain my current situation:-

I知 paying line rental to BT at 」11.54 per month and also have Sky Talk Unlimited. I wish to retain Sky Talk, as I make a lot of local calls and as I also have Sky broadband (having Sky Talk means a reduction in the price of Sky broadband).

I知 looking for a way to reduce the cost of line rental and of making cheaper calls to 0845, 0871 etc. number and mobiles. I致e discounted the idea of using Sky to provide my line rental as it sounds as though they may be planning to block prefix override call providers such as 18185 (as TalkTalk are already doing with their line rental) .

My questions:-

1) Can I use prefix override call providers (such as 18185) with my current setup (BT line rental with Sky Talk)?

2) I知 tempted by the Primus offer of line rental for 」9.15, as I believe they allow the use of prefix overrides. Are there any disadvantages to having my line rental with Primus rather than BT (I致e no interest in caller ID or answer service) and will Sky Talk work with Primus line rental?

Thanks,

John

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: BT or Primus for line rental?

Ring BT tell them you are thinking of leaving and you should get a 」25 discount, especially if you commit to 12 months unlimited evening and week end plan.

jdp
      jdp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MAGHULL LVMAG
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      Ring BT tell them you are thinking of leaving and you should get a 」25 discount, especially if you commit to 12 months unlimited evening and week end plan.
      Thanks, think I'll try that.

Have since found out that:-

1) Yes, the prefix overrides work with my set-up
      2) It is only possible to have a separate CPS provider (the company through which you make your calls) and line rental provider, only by having your line rental through BT

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdp View Post
      I’m paying line rental to BT at 」11.54 per month and also have Sky Talk Unlimited. I wish to retain Sky Talk, as I make a lot of local calls and as I also have Sky broadband (having Sky Talk means a reduction in the price of Sky broadband).

1) Can I use prefix override call providers (such as 18185) with my current setup (BT line rental with Sky Talk)?

2) I’m tempted by the Primus offer of line rental for 」9.15, as I believe they allow the use of prefix overrides. Are there any disadvantages to having my line rental with Primus rather than BT (I’ve no interest in caller ID or answer service) and will Sky Talk work with Primus line rental?
      1). Yes - but, because Sky now uses BTW's WCLI to carry its subscribers' calls, you CANNOT use the 1280 prefix to 'hop back onto BT' to make calls despite the fact that you have (at least) BT's Unlimited Weekend Calls Plan.

BTW, my 0845 and 0870 calls costs comparison is HERE.

2). It may be difficult (and costly) to change back to BT line rental if you want to later.

Primus has given a written guarantee to Martin Lewis of the moneysavingexpert.com website that those with its line rental will be able to use override providers (1899, 18866, 18185) "at least until the end of 2010." Call me cynical but that wording has an ominous ring to it.

BT, on the other hand, has to allow such access.

Although, on the face of it, Primus line rental is about 」2/month cheaper than BT, it is possible to 'negotiate' a new 12 month contract for line rental with BT and get a 」24 (or even 」36) up-front discount* - effectively making BT's line rental cheaper than Primus's.

* You don't have to change from the Unlimited Weekend Plan.
      Last edited by Heinz; 27-03-10 at 04:52 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks