Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What compensation should I ask for?

This is a discussion on What compensation should I ask for? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've now been without a landline for 8 weeks thanks to a mutual c*ck-up between BT & Sky which culminated ...

Tina_Thud_Bump is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01603
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What compensation should I ask for?

I've now been without a landline for 8 weeks thanks to a mutual c*ck-up between BT & Sky which culminated in Sky cancelling both my SkyTalk & Broadband without my say so. Having spoken to Otelo this morning, they are taking on the case for me & want me to email copies of my correspondence about this problem to them, which of course is fine.

However, they also asked me what I wanted the outcome to be - i.e. was I looking for compensation etc? Well, Sky have informed me that I have to start from scratch again with them & order new SkyTalk & then Broadband, so I cannot get Otelo to ask for the old services to be reinstated by the sounds of it, so what sort of compensation should I ask for? Reimbursement for mobile phone costs? Inconvience - in monetary terms what should that amount to without seeming to be either a soft touch or very very greedy??

Any assistance you can give if you have been through the same sort of thing would be muchly appreciated.

Kind regards, Tina :-)

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: What compensation should I ask for?

When I had an issue with Sky ages ago, I got one month's free credited, which equated to 85 ish without asking for it.

At the end of the day, just be honest, it has cost you for phone calls and for the inconvenience, and also ask for the outcome that you want to achieve.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

nonono is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

hi
      why did sky cancel your talk and bb? did bt cancel your phoneline? thats what happened 2 me before.

Tina_Thud_Bump is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01603
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

When I had an issue with Sky ages ago, I got one month's free credited, which equated to 85 ish without asking for it.

At the end of the day, just be honest, it has cost you for phone calls and for the inconvenience, and also ask for the outcome that you want to achieve
      Thanks for your help :-) I guess its just the "inconvenience" tag which I'm unsure of - I've been very inconvenienced, but I'm just unsure how to convert that into a cash value.

why did sky cancel your talk and bb? did bt cancel your phoneline? thats what happened 2 me before.
      Answers on a postcard for that one. The line became restricted in November - Sky blamed BT although I was never aware that BT were allowed to do that, I thought that the Sky lines were exclusively theirs and nothing to do with BT. Sky then told me in December that they had sorted out the problem with BT, it was now back with them (Sky) to reinstate my line fully. Next thing I knew, just before Christmas, we had no phoneline at all and my 1st January bill quoted that the SkyTalk and BB had both been cancelled! Case of right hand not having a clue what the left hand's up to!!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tina_Thud_Bump View Post
      Thanks for your help :-) I guess its just the "inconvenience" tag which I'm unsure of - I've been very inconvenienced, but I'm just unsure how to convert that into a cash value.
      The least you want:

1) Money for mobile costs - add these up and then present to them
      2) Any refund / credit if you have been charged for the periods of no service
      3) Inconvenience, I would ask for a couple of months credit of subscriptions. Don't be too greedy about it, just be reasonable
      4) The situation putting back to how it was

However, as I initially said, once the right person at Sky gets hold of it, which they should do now, Sky usually do their best to put things right.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~