Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

no dial tone -- engaged

This is a discussion on no dial tone -- engaged within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; So starting today, I have dial tone on my line. This seems to be a very similar problem to an ...

mparsons1981 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

no dial tone -- engaged

So starting today, I have dial tone on my line.

This seems to be a very similar problem to an earlier post.

All i hear is lots of interference.

My broadband is fine.

My sky+ box registers phone line as busy.

I've unplugged everything, and tried master socket. When i do this, just the phone plugged in, i have no dial tone still, but the interference has gone.

I emailed on the sky support page, got a very helpful message saying we will fix in 2 days, please call this 0844 number, how they can fix it, when all the email would allow me to say is that there is a 'fault' i do not know.

And i dont really want to call an 0844 number on my mobile, and be put on hold for half an hour.

So is this an exchange problem?

I'm in elland halifax.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: no dial tone -- engaged

Yes it sounds like an error their side.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks smithy99,

Further test, I took everything out but left sky plus box plugged into phone line.

System test = connected.

So i thought maybe problem with phone, as when i plug phone in, line goes to busy, even though no dial tone.

So i tried to access customer service on sky active, as it has to dial a number, this with just the sky box plugged in, and it could not connect due to error, so it must be the line.

I also noted that my broadband has dropped from 18500, to 14500, which doesnt affect browsing! But this hasnt happened before. And it coincides with the timeframe, as i was downloading at my max 1.85mb the night before.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Remove everything but the phone (even filters) and try again. If it still does it then it may well be a faulty phone.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah i had tried that but no good.

With just the phone plugged in and nothing else, there is no dial tone on the line and no interference.

Once i plug in my filters and connect my router, sky + box, i can hear interference on the line, and the sky + box registers the line as busy.

So i thought it might be a fault with the phone, unplugged everything and just connected my sky+ box to the line, thinking that if the sky+ box could dial out on sky active, then i could assess the fault as being the phone. But it couldn't and comes up with a fault.

Yet my broadband is fine - despite the slight drop in speed described above.

Exchange:
      Thanks

BB can be fine with a line fault depending on the fault and where it is occuring. If you tried a phone on there and got nothing and with everything off the line it still doesn't work I would call in and get a line fault listed.
      Have you got a test socket on the line anywhere you can plug into for diagnostics? What happens with nothing plugged into the line if you dial your telephone number?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm currently on the phone to sky, using a friends landline from the neigbors flat, so lets see what happens.

I hadnt tried calling my line from another phone, but i'd received no calls in the last 2 days, and i always get calls (too many debts)

Right ok - an update and good news.

I got through to the general sky talk technical support initially and described the problem as i have here. Pleasingly i was not treated like an idiot and asked to due simple things like check cable connections. I was taken seriously, and the customer service transferred me to someone i presume who was more in the faults section.

He ran a line test, and as i was using another landline i was able to stay on the line through this which was good.

And he found a fault - external to my property, located in the exchange. This had caused the problem with my landline and the slight drop in my broadband speed from 18.5 to 14.5.

He took my details, and asked if i had another number he could call to keep me updated, not having a mobile, I asked if he could personally email me the details, from an email address which i could reply to him if i needed.

This personal email promptly arrived 5mins after the call, detailing the error, and giving me a reference number.

I have been informed that the error should be corrected quickly as it as the exchange, and that my line should be fine in the next couple of days.

I'll update this when this happens.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep the tools that can be run for line diagnostics pin point the fault by distance so they can always tell where it is up to your CPE (your phone) so it looks like the engineers will be paying your exchange a visit soon.

Exchange:
      Thanks

My broadband dropped out for about 20 mins about 2 hours after the call, which it has never done, and i wondered surely the engineer cant be here already! I wonder if they were some test from sky hq or something.

But its nice to get good service, one of the main reasons i left the evil of bt.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Probably not BT yet, wouldn't be surprised if someone was sent into the exchange today though. Sometimes if they have an engineer local to the exchange they re-schedule them to get them in as soon as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast