Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

no dial tone -- engaged

This is a discussion on no dial tone -- engaged within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi mparsons1981 I have the exact same problem. I live in Chichester it started yesterday about 9.30am. Sky say they ...

andyjones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chichester, SDCHCHS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: no dial tone -- engaged

Hi mparsons1981

I have the exact same problem. I live in Chichester it started yesterday about 9.30am. Sky say they are switching over from bt equipment to Sky at the exchange.

They are calling me back at 1.30 today but the phone connection is still down.

Andy.

2. Advertisement
      mparsons1981 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi Andy,

As of 10am this morning i got a call from bt engineer to tell me line is back up and it seems ok.

My broadband is now registering at 16900 on the router page, which is 1.6 down on what it had been of 18500, but up from what it had dropped down to of 14500.

It seems wrong to complain about a 1.7mb broadband connection really when most people in the country are lucky to even get a 0.2, downloading at 1700k/s is not really a problem.

As for the transfer, they did say to me on the initial call that my service had been switiching over onto the sky lines about a month ago, and they might have seen a problem then, but that it wasnt the cause of the fault.

Still i called at about 7pm on tuesday, and my line was back working 15hrs later, so i cant complain about that.

Hope it works out as well for you.

alexandra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I had this exact problem in December at first it was intermittent but then went off altogether with the busy tone if you tried to ring in. I had to go through a lengthy check list with the operative even though I had already said that when a working phone was plugged directly into the socket there was no dial tone. They said the diagnostics was coming up as customer equipment error and so there might be a charge and if there was it would be approximately 169 and more if the repair took more than an hour. As I work from home I had no choice but to risk being charged and was confident anyway that it was nothing to with any of my phones.

They got a bt engineer out to me the next day who changed the master socket as he said it was an old one and said it looked like the problem was with the upstairs extension wire and disconnected it. He could have repaired it but this would have been chargable and so far all this was free.

I had to buy a wireless adapter for the upstairs pc as the router used to be plugged into the extension socket up there and the netbook has built in wireless but it was worth it to be back up and running again.

So far so good. Everything has been working fine up till yesterday when EXACTLY the same thing has happened. No dial tone from socket but this time at least the broadband is still working. Last time no mention was made that sky had had this problem with other customers and it wasnt until I googled it this time that I realised I wasnt the only one. I will have to get a relative to ring sky for me as I dread to think how much it will cost from my mobile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12