Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No phone line for 2 days!!!! - Been told that i am migrating to SVBN

This is a discussion on No phone line for 2 days!!!! - Been told that i am migrating to SVBN within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I have skipped through the posts on SVBN and am hearing mixed remarks. TBH i didnt know anything about ...

lightspeed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No phone line for 2 days!!!! - Been told that i am migrating to SVBN

Hi

I have skipped through the posts on SVBN and am hearing mixed remarks. TBH i didnt know anything about it until last night when i returned home from work and phone our phone line dead (no dial tone just some static).

I phoned Sky and the guy said that i was migrating to SVBN (didnt have a clue what this was but said "ok, how long will this take?" he replied that i could be without phone and broadband for 2 days.

At present my BB is fine but still no phone. I think i must have viewed Skys circular about this transfer as junk mail and chucked it (that'll teach me).

Questions:

1) is this a normal timeframe and am i likely to lose BB shortly?

2) if i continue getting the same quality of service i wont be bothered, however, i would prefer the flexibility to chase better BB deals which i understand i wont have. Would i have to pay BT to install a new line if i choose to move in the future?? If so any ideas on costs????

This is a crafty move by Sky, giving discounts on BB if you transfer to their line rental - then BANG - they've got ya by the B**LS (well for dosey people like me who didnt read the letter).

Any information will be appreciated, thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: No phone line for 2 days!!!! - Been told that i am migrating to SVBN

The line should not be down for that amount of time, an hour or so at the most unless there has been a problem.

If you go onto the SVBN network then yes you will haved to pay BT for another connection charge which is upto 140 although you can usually get this discounted or waived if you take a contract with them.

I would always advise keeping your ISP and your line provider seperate.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Spoke to the SVBN team today and it turns out the first guy i spoke to yesterday was didnt have a clue.....the migration has already occurred (3rd Nov) so this is obviously a problem with the line.

My fault is now logged and i can expect a reply in up to 72 hours.

Excellent!!!!

DRGW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I've had no phone for about a week now

Broadband is ok though.

Sky initially advised via email after I complained that it was due to the weather and there were major problems in South Wales.

Today Sky have advised by email that there is no fault!!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

firstly, BB works from a different frequency so it is possible for your phone to be dead but BB to be working. I spend ages trying to get through, the first time i was fobbed off, the 2nd time Sky's systems were down so they couldnt do a line test but was told they would log the fault and it would be sorted in 48 hours. Phone back after this period and was told that it was never logged and i had to wait upto 72 hours as the line test came back as a pass.

Finally received a call from Sky after a week telling me that he had just received the case, spent 5 mins looking into it and solved it in 2 minutes.

Basically they had not fully activated our line after switching to SVBN.

You need to persist, but i recommend using a landline phone otherwise it will cost you a fortune. 9 times of of 10 if your BB is working but not your phone it is a fault at their end.