Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I get Sky Talk to get the 5pm discount on Sky Broadband Unlimited

This is a discussion on Should I get Sky Talk to get the 5pm discount on Sky Broadband Unlimited within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; First post, so hi ;-) This ought to be a no-brainer, but I just want to check. I've just moved ...

mkz
      mkz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Finchley
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Should I get Sky Talk to get the 5pm discount on Sky Broadband Unlimited

First post, so hi ;-)

This ought to be a no-brainer, but I just want to check. I've just moved into a flat and set up a BT phone line and Sky TV. In case you're wondering, I did speak to Sky about setting up the phone line with them, but it was going to take something like two weeks, and I'm impatient.

Anyway, I want to get Sky Broadband now, and it's 5 a month cheaper if you have Sky Talk as well. I already have free evening and weekend calls with BT at no extra cost, so I don't think Sky Talk will actually save me any money in itself, but obviously 5 a month is worth having.

I have a couple of concerns. 1: Will I incur any cancellation charges with BT? And 2: How's the quality of service and sound quality on Sky Talk? Are there any other reasons either for or against?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

Re: Should I get Sky Talk to get the 5pm discount on Sky Broadband Unlimited

you could take skytalk enening and weekend calls without line rental for free thus saving 5 for BB, skytalk calls should be around 10% cheaper then BT outwith the free calls times so Bt should not penalise u as you still give them linerental

the calls are still on the same lines and national network so no deteriation of call clarity should be noticed
      keeping Bt line will help if you decided at a later date to migrate away from sky
      this is what i will be doing when my 5 loyalty discount ends end of january 2010

mkz
      Thanks

Just got a phone call and email from BT:
      As discussed this afternoon at 16:37, I can confirm that your account is on 12 months contract for the Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan. The contract is due to end on 08/11/10, therefore, I suggest not to change the service provider for calls, as you will incur a cancellation charges at 7.50 per month for the remaining contract term.
      Grrr.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Yes at one time only the rental was subject to the 12 month contract, now call plans are to. Sky Talk is the same. I think the providers have got fed up with users chopping and changing their calls.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
      you could take skytalk enening and weekend calls without line rental for free thus saving 5 for BB, skytalk calls should be around 10% cheaper then BT outwith the free calls times so Bt should not penalise u as you still give them linerental
      Does that take into account the 9p a call connection charge? I also see that BT include 0845 calls in their evening/weekend package, which Sky doesn't.

I've got Sky Talk but use 18185 for most calls anyway. I decided some time ago that it doesn't matter which package you choose, the telecom companies change their rules so often they will get you in the end.

@mkz: Did you ask BT for the evenings and weekends package? Their 'free weekend calls' package is the same price but not tied into a 12 month minimum for calls (only line rental). They try to get you to take the tied contract - for just the reasons you give - but the other is available. If it's less than 14 days you may be able to switch under distance selling rules.

mkz
      Thanks

Yes, I asked for the evenings and weekends package, because it was being offered for free on their website. I didn't see the downside at the time. How annoying!

The Office of Fair Trading: Distance Selling Regulations says the cooling-off period is 7 days, not 14.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

so to save 5 it will cost u 7.50 bummer looks like bt for atleast 1 year