Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

no dial tone

This is a discussion on no dial tone within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; i've been on sky talk for a few months now. on sunday our phone line stopped working. the tv is ...

tallmatt1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: chandlers ford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

no dial tone

i've been on sky talk for a few months now. on sunday our phone line stopped working. the tv is fine, broadband is ok but went a bit intermittent. i've tried to speak to technical about the problem on my moby but was on hold for a total of 1 hour and still didn't get through. i tried the online support but only got an automated message back. is anyone in southampton area having the same problem? also will i be successful in getting my money back for the mobile calls? i spent 12 on tuesday and still didn't get trough and have been on hold for about 15 mins as i write this. not a happy bunny!!

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: no dial tone

i also tried all the troubleshooting on the site.

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub - No idea whether it is an ER110 or ER115
      Thanks

I've got 'no dial tone' this morning.

If I dial in then I hear the ringing tone in my mobile (that I'm using to dial in) but none of my landlines actually ring.

If I ring for some minutes after my first attempt I hear an engaged tone in my mobile as if somewhere the network still thinks someone is ringing my phone.

After a few minutes it resets and I can repeat the process all over again.

I've had 15 years of trouble-free service with BT at this address. Since I was moved to SVBN a few months ago I've had two line faults.

Cheers,

Nigel

DRGW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I'm having the same problem in Bridgend. Been like it for about a week now.

My line is constantly engaged if anybody calls but dead if I try to call from my landline.

Sky did say via email that it was due to the weather but now say that there is no fault!!!!

I still can't make or receive calls from my landline!

lightspeed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had the same fault last week...

came home from work and discovered that my line was dead (no dial tone) - could make or receive calls but the TV and broadband was fine.

firstly, BB works from a different frequency so it is possible for your phone to be dead but BB to be working. I spend ages trying to get through, the first time i was fobbed off, the 2nd time Sky's systems were down so they couldnt do a line test but was told they would log the fault and it would be sorted in 48 hours. Phone back after this period and was told that it was never logged and i had to wait upto 72 hours as the line test came back as a pass.

Finally received a call from Sky after a week telling me that he had just received the case, spent 5 mins looking into it and solved it in 2 minutes.

Basically they had not fully activated our line after switching to SVBN.

You need to persist, but i recommend using a landline phone otherwise it will cost you a fortune. 9 times of of 10 if your BB is working but not your phone it is a fault at their end.

This sounds very familiar

Box of Frogs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01323
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

We had no dial tone since Christmas eve - just static on the line. Broadband was fine although slow. Couldn't dial out and anyone calling us got an engaged tone. Emailed Sky Tech who replied later by saying they had tried calling me but my line was busy - duh!! over the last few days I have been emailing and getting replies culminating in the 'unplug everything' test.

To cut a long story short, if I unplug the phone cable that leads to the Sky+ box, the phone works fine and the internet speeds up. Plug it back in and I get the static back and the internet slows down.

Anyone got any ideas?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Sounds like the modem in the Sky receiver is stuffed, just leave it unplugged unless you have multiroom, if you do then you will need to get Sky out to replace it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

To cut a long story short, if I unplug the phone cable that leads to the Sky+ box, the phone works fine and the internet speeds up. Plug it back in and I get the static back and the internet slows down.
      Is it running through a filter? It should be. If it is and you only have one digi box, just unplug it and plug it back in if you want to order anything. As Smithy says if you have multi room you must keep it plugged in, so report it to Sky asap.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tallmatt1 View Post
      i've been on sky talk for a few months now. on sunday our phone line stopped working. the tv is fine, broadband is ok but went a bit intermittent. i've tried to speak to technical about the problem on my moby but was on hold for a total of 1 hour and still didn't get through. i tried the online support but only got an automated message back. is anyone in southampton area having the same problem? also will i be successful in getting my money back for the mobile calls? i spent 12 on tuesday and still didn't get trough and have been on hold for about 15 mins as i write this. not a happy bunny!!
      eventually i got through to a techy who did all sorts of tests and said he would order a bt technician. if it was a problem inside my house i would be charged but thankfully the problem was outside. and my BB sped up.