Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noise on the line

This is a discussion on Noise on the line within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I am new to the Sky BB and Talk, ever since i left BT i have had this annoying ...

sasha1911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Noise on the line

Hi,

I am new to the Sky BB and Talk, ever since i left BT i have had this annoying SHHHHHHHHH on the line i will try and explain my set up the best i can.

Upstairs.
      1 PC
      1 Sky Netgear Router DG934G
      1 Corded telephone

Downstairs
      1 Cordless DECT phone.

All the equipment upstairs work fine, the corded phone as no noise on the line at all, downstairs on the cordless a constant SHHHHHHH noise, i have turned the wireless access point of on the router to check for the wireless interference but still noisy, only solution is to turn off the router or unplug the line going into it, i have a BT iPlate and new filters all round and i have tried the master socket still noisy.

Is it a dodgy router?

thanks in advance for any help.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Noise on the line

Do you have ADSL filters plugged in first into the sockets in use? If you have a Sky digi box plugged in, is it running through a filter?
      Try plugging another filter into the first filter then plug in your Dect phone, so that it is running through 2 filters.
      If you have any other filters, try them. The filters supplied by Sky are not always very efficient.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers i will try running through other filters, if any lines are connected to a socket they have a filter on a mixture of BT, Maplin and Sky types.

Thanks

Remember to be effective the filter must be the first thing plugged into the socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok,

i have been round all filters and changed them and unplugged anything else that doesnt have a newer filter and still the same, i know that the DECT type phones run somewhere near the frequency of 802.11g and i have messed around with the wireless channels on the router but no joy, i guess its the interference of the wireless network.

Thanks

i guess its the interference of the wireless network.
      But did you not say you tried it with the routers wireless off and there was no improvement? Is it possible to change the channel on the phone?

TomD

Useful Utilites

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Not all DECT phones give a great, clear lline, some are better than others. Try dialling 17070 and picking option 2 - Quiet Line Test and listen to the result.

To expect a DECT phone, even the best ones, to sound as clear as a corded phone is probably expecting too much.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help guys, it turns out that the corded phone was causing all the problems, it was plugged into the filter that feeds the router, as soon as i unplugged it the cordless becomes clear, strange but at least i can now hear the mother in law moaning better now.

The 17070 numbers a good idea what else can you check with that?

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I never connect the phone in the same ISP supplied cheapo filters as the router as they always seem to add some noise to the connection, worth getting a better microfilter if you're going to do that.

17070 is a BT engineer test facility, the only options that are of any use to you are the Quiet line test and possibly Ring back test. It does have another useful feature in that it'll determine you which voice network you're on, ie., the options are only available if you're on a BT or BT shared voice network, if you're on one of the fully unbundled voice networks, such as Sky's SVBN then all you'll get is a message confirming your number.