Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do Sky Talk know what they are doing?

This is a discussion on Do Sky Talk know what they are doing? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I bought a house and wanted to have Sky+ HD so when I called them offered me a great deal ...

nick-harper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Do Sky Talk know what they are doing?

I bought a house and wanted to have Sky+ HD so when I called them offered me a great deal on phone and broadband as well.

I stated that the house had no phone socket and it needed to be fitted which the person when I ordered took a 25 installation fee for which was in the middle of June the money was taken from my account.

I was given a date for an engineer to come and fit the line, I sat in all day and nobody turned up. I was then told that I couldn't request an engineer as BT said the line is fine and it is working ok, which it might well be but I have nowhere to plug a phone or router into so I couldn't use it.

I was then given 3 more dates, heard nothing, then another 3, heard nothing, just given dates and the last date was today. Heard nothing.

Every time I call Sky the call lasts for anaverage of half an hour, a couple of times they say I will be put through to somebody and it cuts me off after being on hold for about 15 - 20 minutes.

Does anybody have a number I can complain to before I get Sky to come and take everything out of my house and refund me everything I have paid to them?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Do Sky Talk know what they are doing?

Are you sure the linebox is not in the Loft? It seems strange that BT say it is OK if there is no box. Where does the line come into your house and what is at the end of it? If it terminates in a junction box within the house it may be far quicker and easier to fit a NTE5 box yourself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think the previous owners didnt really look after the house, it was a repo.

I can where it used to be with a cable coming down from towards the roof into a windowsill and then into the living room so you might be correct although I would have no idea at all how to fit an NTE5 box although it wouldnt be too hard to fit a bit of wire I guess.

Even so, I have paid 25 for this to be done?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have just been told after being on the phone for 44 minutes that Sky keep sending BT emails but get nothing back, that was after the guy yesterday said BT had confirmed it would be today or tommorow so I have now been told it will be Thursday, Friday or Saturday!

If I am not in I will have to pay 100 odd quid, funny that I have been sat in for about 4 days waiting and they didn't turn up. What do I get?

Thanks

Strictly speaking it is against BT's T & Cs to fit a Master linebox yourself. I am not sure how Sky view this, whether taking line rental from Sky cuts out the BT regulations, I don't know.

The 25 cost must be subsidised as fitting a socket would cost much more direct from BT, maybe in excess of 100. All it involves is screwing the box to the wall and connecting two wires to the A-B terminals and putting the faceplate on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

What about running the cables from the loft? At the minute the cable comes down on the outside and stops outside so it will need new cabling I guess!

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I think the problem lies with BT and how they monitor lines.

When we had our voice equipment break in the exchange as the card became faulty it was still registering to the automatic systems and as they could see a voltage they declared it "working" and it took ages to get it resolved.

I would assume that BT can see a voltage on your line and so are declaring it as working and are refusing to come out unless Sky pays them the 100+ "if there is nothing wrong you pay" charge.

I think some advice from the CAB or trading standards may be your best bet as I can see this possibly dragging on and on.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

That still doesnt explain why Sky keep saying BT will be out and they don't turn up?

I am considering just doing it myself if it is easy as it sounds but I am paying Sky for the services on it, not BT and I stated when I first ordered I had no socket and they said it would be sorted.

Thanks

What about running the cables from the loft? At the minute the cable comes down on the outside and stops outside so it will need new cabling I guess!
      Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post, I thought the wire went into your living room. If it stops outside it would be better done by an engineer. When he eventually comes, make sure he fits an NTE5 line box.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think if he ever turns up he will be held hostage! Ironically at work I am waiting for a Bt engineer to come and do something! Might hold him hostage until somebody fixes it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast