Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Joining Sky Talk when Still With Bt

This is a discussion on Joining Sky Talk when Still With Bt within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme Having had a look at their T & Cs, it looks like if you have started ...

tammy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Joining Sky Talk when Still With Bt

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Having had a look at their T & Cs, it looks like if you have started the plan you are in a 12 month contact for it. Furthermore it is 12 Months renewable which means when your first 12 months are up you automatically start another 12 months, unless you cancel. Looks like BT are fed up with others stealing their customers

BT.com | Personal | Terms & Conditions

sorry you must of read my unedited post i am only on the free weekend and not evening so it looks like i am not on a renewable contract but i am interested in what you said and if it reflects on my plan weekends only no renewable contract i just need to know if its a call package because it look like it is only a line rental which has a added bonus includes free calls am i right that it is a line rental only and not a call package

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It goes on to say under the Cancellations heading -
      You can cancel your order, free of charge, before we have provided the service. If you cancel your order after we provide the service you will incur a single charge of 7.50 (with the Unlimited Weekend or Unlimited Evening & Weekend plans) or 8.00 (with the Unlimited Anytime plan) for each month left of your 12 or 18 month minimum period.
      Will this apply to you? Or are you on a different plan. It seems to be in conflict with the main heading which says no minimum term.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sparkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01834
      Broadband ISP: BT ADSL2+
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Why not sign up for BT unlimited calls only 4.95 a month

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
      Why not sign up for BT unlimited calls only 4.95 a month
      Because the above you metioned will not just be 4,95 it will be altogehter

11.25 + 4.95 total 16.20 much more than the standard weekend plan only 11.25

The disscusion here is not for unlimited calls and a heafty line rental im trying to save money on my sky broadband and trying to see whether or not i will incur a charge if i move to sky talk now that i am on BT which seems incredibly hard

isitme i think there is some confusion between what we are saying here i just want to find out if i can move to sky talk whilst keeping bt line rental with out a charge but it seems to me your pointing out to me cancelation terms and condition not what i am trying to do im sorry of your poiting out something else then maybe you can make it clear to me

THe main point is

I am with BT joined yesterday weekend standard plan no rolling contract just 12 month term or even no minimum terms who knows

i want to join sky talk and keep line rental with BT

you metioned maybe you should check if your on a calls bundle to me it seems i am only on a basic line rental and not a call bundle as you stated to check in your above post

now all i wanted to know if i am in a call bundle as far as i can see i am not please note i am not bieng arsy here but its incredabily frustrating when trying to do a basic thing and there is so many rules

please note i am not trying to cancel Bt i cant for one as its a new contract and even if i did cancel BT contract i would not be able to join sky anymore you need a Bt line to join sky in the first place Or maybe you suggesting the cancel terms for when i switch to sky talk but that would mean im not canceling im just moving my call carrier hence keeping line rental with BT after all i have to once again keep line rental with Bt> BT has the main Goal in the post NO bt no sky talk that is why i am not trying to cancel Bt but to keep BT and switch call carrier to sky

May be once my contract is up i can think to do a whole line transfer to sky But Now this brings us back to the original point is there anyone here who knows if the basic standard weekend line rental from BT is a calls Package or ust a standard line rental if it is a standard line rental and not a call package then this will in the end allow me to transfer to sky talk with no fees as both isitme and iante have pointed out that if its a call package then maybe you will get a fee hence now i am trying to figure out is it a call package or just a line rental
      Last edited by tammy; 29-07-09 at 11:03 PM.

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Re: Joining Sky Talk when still with BT for line rental

You are on BT's Unlimited Weekend Plan - which gets you free calls of up to 60 minutes each to UK 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870 numbers at weekends.

That is BT's lowest calls plan and the one you cannot avoid having (it comes as standard with line rental). In fact there would be no point trying to avoid it, it doesn't cost anything extra.

If you opt to take Sky Talk CPS (Carrier PreSelect), BT's Unlimited Weekend Plan will remain.

You used to be able to dial a 1280 prefix to 'hop back onto BT' and doing that to use those free weekend calls used to ensure you could make the necessary 2 calls per month to 'qualify' for free BT Caller Display. However, Sky have changed the way they provide CPS and 1280 no longer works.

Just make sure Sky understand you want Sky Talk as a CPS calls provider.
      Last edited by Heinz; 30-07-09 at 09:41 AM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sorry, I was just trying to point out the possible pit falls. I do not think you will be able to retain the Unlimited Weekend calls if you sign up with Sky Talk, you will obviously have to cancel it. Under the 'Cancellations ' section, quoted above, if you cancel this plan you are liable to pay 7.50 for each remaining month. Now this may only apply if you also cancel the rental, but it is not in the least clear.

Sky also apply a minimum contract of 12 months on their call package.

Heinz is well versed in phone charges etc., so I would take his advice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sparkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01834
      Broadband ISP: BT ADSL2+
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Sorry Tammy,

Thought you where signing up to the 5 package with sky, not just transferring your number over to sky for they free evening weekend call package.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello its ok guys you must have had a bit of confusion in what i was trying to do here and thanks for isitme and iante for trying the best to help but i think we all got muddled up in the topic but thankyou as you was helping

Ok btw as hienz pointed out you will not incur a cancelation fee if you do move to sky talk as sky talk will only be you call carrier and you will remian on Bt as your line rental unlimted weekend plan as you are not transfering the whole line rental to sky like hienz said just the calls over to sky.

Just make sure like hienz said to let sky know you only want them to take the calls part

Hienz i just need you to clarify one thing as you said i will remian on the BT weekend plan but as i understand even though i will remain on thr BT weekend Plan with Bt the free 0845/0870 calls will be lost reason bieng because sky has now become my call carrier means the free calls from BT are lost?

So even if i am staying with Bt for my line rental and only giving the calls part to sky this still makes the free 0845/0870 option now lost

I also understand some services eg 1571 and caller id also go up in price once sky became your call carrier but i will be dropping these anyway

But i understand even if the 0845/0870 is lost by joining sky as my call carrier i can still use the saynoto0870 and my calls will still be free as they will be loal numbers which sky inclucled in to thier package

Please can you clarify if this is true as this seems to be your field the most

Thanks

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Even though you opt for a CPS provider, your BT call plan remains (so, if you're on one you have to pay for, 'downsize' to the lowest - the Unlimited Weekend Plan - with BT at the same time). Don't do so if you're still in a contract term for your call plan though.

However, with Sky Talk, AOL and Talk Talk (and probably some other CPS providers by now as well), who now purchase 'calltime' from BT via their new WCLI offering, you won't be able to use the 'free' weekend 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870 calls which are available under that plan - because the 1280 prefix will not work (see HERE). So the calls are not 'lost' as such - it's just you can't make them!

That is not the case with some other CPS calls providers (i.e. those not using BT's WCLI) and, on those, 'the best of both worlds' is possible. For example, my Orchid low cost router is programmed to send all my weekend 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870 calls free of charge via BT so I don't even have to think about making 2 chargeable or inclusive 'qualifying' calls each month. Although this won't apply to you, I do have to remember to make ONE chargeable call per month (I call my local takeaway so the call is short) in order to remain on the Unlimited Weekend Plan.

There's no need to drop Caller Display or (if you must use it - please don't) basic 1571. The HERE link in paragraph 2 also shows how to overcome the difficulty of not being able to make 2 'qualifying' calls per month via BT to get them (almost) free of charge. However, calls using a Calling Card are quite expensive so use other than for the necessary number of calls is not recommended.
      Last edited by Heinz; 31-07-09 at 10:51 AM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12