Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line Rental Grace Period?

This is a discussion on Line Rental Grace Period? within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Due to the Broadband Mid monthly usage limit ridiculousness I'm trying to cancel as many sky services as possible without ...

Myrtle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Line Rental Grace Period?

Due to the Broadband Mid monthly usage limit ridiculousness I'm trying to cancel as many sky services as possible without incurring a charge. I've been on the phone for 45 mins to various departments tonight and one chap told me that the line rental had a 6 weeks grace period where you could cancel and not incur a penalty.

He told me I was on my fifth week so I should be able to cancel my BB and Sky Talk without any penalty, but I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in the Ts & Cs.

Has anyone heard of that - is it true?

If it is that's great because I can cancel BB and Phone and get the hell away from Sky, to be followed by the TV when I can get out of that one in March. I'm sceptical though because sky have told me various things in the recent past that turned out not to be correct.

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Line Rental Grace Period?

Use the Jeremy Darroch or James Murdoch email address this usually gets most things resolved.

But usually All sky services are dependant on TV and the cooling of period for Sky+ is 30 days so outside of that most people will tell you you cannot cancel everything.

They cannot stop you leaving the line and call services though if you really want to. Just go to the phone provider you want to change to and they will take over your line.

For the broadband, again, you cannot cancel but you can request a MAC within your contract period and this will cancel the broadband if you use it.

This will open you up to early termination charges which though not yet being enforced will become applicable later this year, and may be back dated for everyone signing up since January 2009.

Myrtle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Line Rental Grace Period?

Thanks!

I rang them again this morning and spoke to someone else who checked and said that yesterday's chap was right and there was no penalty for me cancelling the line rental due to it being within 6 weeks since it started. There is no penalty for me leaving broadband early because they've changed the package significantly.

I'm quite pleased they messed up the line rental when I took out the whole package in March meaning it didn't get activated until June, because if they hadn't I wouldn't have been able to leave it until March next year without paying a termination charge.

I've been able to move my broadband and phone to Orange without penalty today, although I have to keep the TV (have cut it down to basic package) until my year is up in March and then it's going too, and then I shall never let Sky darken my door again

(Although I have just read that Orange were voted worst ISP on Watchdog. Oh well... :s )