Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky phone line installation

This is a discussion on sky phone line installation within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have recently moved into a new house and we decided to go for the sky tv, phone line and ...

hazybubbles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

sky phone line installation

I have recently moved into a new house and we decided to go for the sky tv, phone line and broadband together as it seemed to work out cheaper.

I ordered it all online and as I had no idea what the phone number was for the house, and knew that the line would not be active due to the long period since the last tennent, I left that bit blank and answered the other questions about whether there were bt boxes in the house etc and assumed sky would sort it out.

I have now discovered a bt box that actually has a dial tone and did the 17070 thing to find out the line number. This does not match the number sky say they are supposidly activating! Is this normal? Should we get a new number from sky? there are several bt boxes in the house but only this one has a dial tone. Does this mean they have activated a line to someone elses house or what??

2. Advertisement
      ataraxicstorm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: sky phone line installation

I have exactly the same problem. We live in a block of flats, and had no idea what the phone number was previously. It was supposed to be activated yesterday and sure enough when we ring the number we now hear it connect and ring on the phone we're calling from, and eventually get put through to an answerphone, but the landline phone doesn't ring.

After reading this topic I dialled 17070 and got given a different number to the one sky sent us.

I have no clue why they could be quite so incompetant, but im not looking forward to being put on hold for ages trying to sort it!

Exchange:
      Thanks

a situation update..... the phone line now works, although is still the old bt number. the number on the mysky page seems to have no relevance to our phone at all. as with the op you can ring it and it eventually goes to an answer machine but its not connected to our phone.
      i don't know whether i should even bring this up with sky and their service seems pretty poor so far and at least we now have a phone line, although whether this will cause problems when trying to add broadband onto our package????

Exchange:
      Thanks

update from me to.

The other number from 17070 doesn't work at all for us. But I have been in touch with sky, on the phone for about an hour.

They are adamant that they have setup the right number, and dont have a clue what 17070 is and seem bemused where ive got the other number from. After going through loads of checks, including taking the sockets of the walls for them, they finally said they would sort out a bt engineer to come out.

I would recommend you contact them about it, even though the number is working for you if its a different number to the one sky have it could cause problems with billing.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I did contact sky and they said that it was caused by BT giving them an incorrect number for the property. They have to manually change it on their system which for some reason apparently takes 5 days. The old BT line number is the one that sky will be using and the number they gave to me will not be used. Maybe we can FINALLY get some broadband once this is sorted!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ours is sorted.

They had connected the wrong number, but didnt take 5 days to sort out. A bt engineer came out saturday afternoon and it was sorted. They didnt change it on their system instead bt just connected the right number as far as I can figure, he never actually told us what it was he did lol.