Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Incorrect Billing......by a big amount!

This is a discussion on Incorrect Billing......by a big amount! within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I have sky talk and have just checked my bill before it automatically gets paid and discovered there are ...

stuche is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Incorrect Billing......by a big amount!

Hi,

I have sky talk and have just checked my bill before it automatically gets paid and discovered there are calls to a dial up number for a period of 48 hours which have added approx 195 to my bill. The calls were started at 3am in the morning and lasted for two consecutive days the first one for 23 hours the second for 24 hours.

We are not at the property during the evenings at all and all the equipment - computer and router etc in the house are all turned off at night and when we're not there and the times the number was called was during a time we weren't at the house.

I have spoken to sky today and each operator - yes there were several have said it is unusual and finally the last person said to email with the problem as they can't help!! The email system on sky isn't working at the moment so am looking for answers.......

Any ideas on how to sort this out would be welcome

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Incorrect Billing......by a big amount!

have you recently made adjustments to your Sky TV boxes telephone settings i.e. possibly entered a dialling prefix? perhaps to try and get free box office?

This used to happen. People would enter '123' as the dialling prefix, which means that whenever the box dialled out, it would call the speaking clock. However, because the box never managed to callback to Sky, the box kept on trying the number, causing huge phone bills.

You can't use 123 as a dialling prefix anymore, but you can use other numbers. So perhaps this has been changed to a house number, causing your high bill.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Indefatigable, Thankyou for your reply. No changes to our sky box at all and it's not even pluged in to a landline. There are a lot of very short calls to the same number for a dial-up over a month of billing plus two huge amounts in my post above. Sky today did say their system showed 24 seconds and not the 24 hours on our bill, but still 80 for a call to an 0845 number for 24 seconds does not work out.

I guess it's worth mentioning the fact that the property has been split into two at around the same time as the incorrect bill dates. BT were asked to install another line but instead wired the old line into some kind of box and then wired in a new cable to the split part of the property with an new number which now also has sky tv but bt broadband and phone. Could there be a problem with the new bt line install????

The strange thing is that we are not at the property when the calls are made plus I'm 100% positive there is nothing to dial out on it's own. I have had problems with autodialers before (a long while ago) before broadband...so it's not that.

Confused..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

try googling the number. Most 0845 numbers will be able to be found online. Will give you an idea of who you have been calling, allegedly. If you are certain you are not calling this number, check with the new property owner. Maybe BT have crossed your lines or something. If they have, then bill BT for every penny you can

Exchange:
      Thanks

the 0845 number is for an internet dial up company called UK2 number is 08456653000. The other owner of the line has their own BT broadband set up and have no knowlege of this number either....

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Looks like an Orange / freeserve dialup number possibly.

You can run a 56k modem connection without disabling or uninstalling your broadband, so why not install a 56k modem, sign in to your account on this number: 08456653000, your username is everything after the '@' in your email address, and your password is the same one.
      Orange Problems - View topic - Trying to get rid of old Freeserve personal website - Orange Broadband, Orange Email, Orange Mobile Phones - OrangeProblems.co.uk
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Could be I've googled the number and it comes up as UK2 so who knows?? Fact is how did it land up on my bill and how do I sort out the problem?? Thank you for your help. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Exchange:
      Thanks

UK2 is a free to use Dialup service. You only pay for the cost of your local rate phonecalls.

The only way this could have been used on your line is if you have a computer connected directly to your telephone line, and have the dial up modem of the computer configured for use.

Check all your computers. Make sure that there is no cable between computer and line.

Also, check your settings as per a previous post. It may be that someone has set this up on your computer, thinking it is free internet access.