Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky's New phone & broadband network

This is a discussion on Sky's New phone & broadband network within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Surely it's just a reverse of the same process? Physically it is. Unfortunately the administration side takes up the extra ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky's New phone & broadband network

Surely it's just a reverse of the same process?
      Physically it is. Unfortunately the administration side takes up the extra time. I doubt if it needs too, but I think it may be extended to put people off moving. Both TalkTalk and Tiscali use the same tactic. It is difficult to see why moving from one LLU provider to another should be so convoluted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I agree but that is the situation at present. If a lot of people switch to LLU then Ofcom may be persuaded to put pressure on suppliers to improve the procedure, like they did with broadband MAC codes.

It's a lot simpler for Sky to say to BT/Openreach "Here's a list of x customers, please move them to our LLU" than for them to set up individual orders. The additional complication is that there would be no account to move them back to, as the customer won't have a contract with BT (or any alternative full LLU provider at the exchange) and probably can't set this up until the physical line is moved.

tvsizedoesmatter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid, Sky Talk unlimited, Sky Talk line rental
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

So if we opt out now, how easy will be it be to change our minds & opt in.
      Being tortured by a mord-sith takes on new meaning

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I'm surprised they have given people the option. The other full LLU providers, TalkTalk and Tiscali didn't (in fact Tiscali didn't even tell customers they had taken their phone service away from BT). Once all the BT exchanges are set up for migration, maybe Sky will force people on to their network.

As for upgrading later, they have hinted that any new features, like voicemail management from the web, will be restricted to the new network only, so I would be surprised if there isn't some kind of upgrade route. Knowing Sky, they could well charge for it of course.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Does anyone share my growing concern that opting out of the new phone & broadband network might result in some kind of nasty surprise at a later date?

E.g. higher pricing or further detrimental service changes such as those applicable to Sky BB Mid customers?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

steveblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I for one am worried about the new network, i think it will be really hard to change back once you are on the new network? also a friend who has sky line rental stated if you dont go on to the new network you dont get the faster speeds? that cant be right can it?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

No that is not right. In the future it may be that Sky will not supply BB to lines which are not on their network, but they have not said this and it may never happen.

paul7285 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      TalkTalk and Tiscali have been doing it for a long time. There will be no change in your phone line, it will simply run through sky's equipment rather than BT's, making Sky a bundle in the process. The biggest problem is that any physical work on the line will still be done by BTO, I don't think Sky or any other provider have sufficient telephone engineers to cover the country, so all you are doing is changing one middle man for another. Sky are very reluctant to get BTO out on a line for broadband problems, are they going to be any better with voice problems, which may be more important than broadband to many people?
      Openreach will always maintain the line between the premises and the exchange, regardless of what phone/broadband provider you have - this includes the new full MPF LLU network sky will use. Sky's reluctance to end Openreach will be down to the fact that if they send OR on a special fault investigation due to suspected line problems and they find none, OR will charge for this and quite rightly so.

OR will do all changeover work onsite as it is done on the MDF (main distribution frame) to connect you into the Sky LLU equipment - OR own the frame, all connections on it (known as jumpers), the blocks on the frame where the Sky LLU equipment blocks are terminated, and the tie cable that runs to the Sky LLU equipment.

The tie cable terminates on the LLU equipment and this is where OR will test and prove a fault up until - any that are proved into the sky equipment will be passed back to them - OR will not do any work on other communication provider's equipment.

Likewise at your house, sky might send an engineer to fault your phone/broadband - they will not go into the openreach network to clear a fault (from your main socket back towards the exchange).

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
      Great info Paul....

But this now poses a question...

As my line will currently "apparently" handle 8mb max speed on my current max package - So is it worth me moving over, or am I better staying on the "old" system which allows ME rather than Sky greater freedom should I wish to move in the future (not that I am thinking of it) As you never know, once everyone is on the new system, and changing phone and bb providers becomes more hassle, whats to say Sky won't start bumping the prices - Simply because they can...

Mike
      Personally this is what I am doing -

I have Sky Broadband & Talk with Linerental from Sky.
      I have hit the opt out button already (I am not switching to full MPF).

However, I still believe the regrading of my line will go ahead and any tweaks to the speed will still happen - as per my previous long winded post about the products, switching to MPF from SMPF is more a change for the sky talk line rental at present, the broadband is operated from the Sky LLU equipment regardless whether you have SMPF or MPF.

From what I can see at present, switching will bring no real new benefits - until sky announce anything different, staying put gives me the most flexibility. By switching, I guess you are pretty much forfeiting your MAC code if you want to switch - they will disconnect you then you csn re-order with another provider - that is how it reads to me.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tvsizedoesmatter View Post
      Agreed.

So why are Sky doing this, really, rather than their publicity reasons?

Are any of the other companies that have a presence in the BT exchanges doing this?

Is their equipment better than BT, will it mean my speed can increase?

Is there anything that we'll benefit from if not?
      TV,

I think the main reason at present comes down to raw rental cost of the OR products - I don't know the latest figures for SMPF and MPF rental, but OFCOM have just shaken them up a little - a change that OR say are not profitable for them.

Bulk migrations between OR products are also charged differently and at a discount I think aswell.

I assume there is a cost saving to be had between sky providing line rental and broadband via MPF, rather than line rental and bb via wholesale line rental on SMPF.

Also note that this change will only happen if you take sky talk line rental with your broadband. If you have BT line rental and Sky Broadband, you will be on SMPF and will stay on SMPF.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast